Hey guys,

After some time the analog pots of my very nice Thrustmaster Cougar started putting out erratic values and were spiking all over the place. These pots seem really cheap and even if there were still replacement parts from TM available, in my eyes it would not make much sense to replace them with the same low quality parts.

I have been tinkering with my idea of contactless sensors for the Cougar now for around a year and I think I am finally satisfied with what I got. These sensors are plug and play, fully sealed, make use of a ball bearing on the axle and use a N52 neodymium magnet for contactless angular measurement. The PCBs are only 14 x 20 mm (0.55 x 0.78 in) and were quite the hassle to make all the necessary ICs and SMD parts fit in. The housing is a two part SLS 3D print from Shapeways, which is a very tough material. I use it for all sorts of mechanical parts.

(Here you can find development pictures: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.ph...er#Post4419858)

These sensors in reality are not hall sensors, but instead use next gen magnetoresistive sensors which are heavily used in the automotive industry and have basically replaced hall sensors there. The main advantages are higher sensitivity and actual angular measurement instead of only measuring the magnetic flux (as hall sensors do).

The same type of sensor is used eg in Baur BRD devices in form of MagRez or RAMS. These devices are known for their amazing precision and I wanted to make use of the same sensor in the Cougar.

Installation is as easy as stick it in, screw it tight, plug it in and done. You can calibrate them as you normally would via the Hotas Cougar Control Panel and the whole thing stays fully TARGET compatible as well. :joystick:

Now enough talk, here are some pictures.

TM Cougar stick sensors

IMG-20190129-182412.jpg IMG-20190129-181754.jpg

Because the question comes up a lot, you can invert every axis of the Cougar in the first tab of the Cougar Control Panel (CCP) software.

5.jpg

If you are interested or want to ask questions please contact mtwsims@tutamail.com. No PMs please! 👍 Please note that sometimes I am rather slow to respond and it can take me several days to answer your emails. Payment via PayPal or SEPA bank transaction, but for PayPal I would have to add the PayPal fees on top.

All sensors are designed, assembled & hand soldered by me. Every single sensor is then checked and calibrated manually. I can proudly say it is 100% Made in Germany. 🙂

Price: 44€ (set of two sensors) + 7€ tracked international shipping (from experience shipping within Europe is around 2-6 days and to the US 14 days)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

TM Cougar Throttle standalone USB adapter + digital contacless 14 Bit GMR sensor

I also have made a USB standalone adapter for the Cougar with a high res 14 Bit GMR TLE5011 digital sensor on the Throttle axis. This one is similar to the TUSBA, but half the price and with an added extension bay that supports extra shift registers, encoders, buttons, analog and digital axis. You can buy the USB standalone adapter without the new digital sensor and simply keep using the original pot. However you can not use the digital sensor without the USB adapter, as it communicates via the digital SPI protocol. I have been selling these on the german Craigslist/ ebay since 2018 and people were really enthusiastic about their performance.

Price is 33€ for the adapter and 20€ for the sensor + 7€ tracked international shipping (shipping is only paid once per order)

IMG-20191220-182157.jpg IMG_20180807_193934.jpg Throttle-TLE-installiert.jpg

TM Cougar Throttle hall sensor kit

I can now also offer a simpler Hall effect sensor kit for the Throttle. It consists of an Allegro 1324 hall sensor + cable and a 3D printed casing + N52 magnet. It is plug and play for the Throttle unit without my USB standalone adapter and similiar to older hall sensor kits for the Cougar. The difference is it requires no fancy mounts and is fixed in the correct position in two out of three axis for more precision. The third axis is dependent on magnet strength and can be hardware and or software calibrated. By hardware calibration I mean depth of insertion into the 3D printed case, nothing to it really. 🙂

The mod is only compatible with the 5V mainboard version as is! The solution to this problem is a little voltage conversion board that is 3€ extra. The 5V and 3.8V versions differ in a resistor on the VCC line. Here you can check which version of the Throttle mainboard you have: https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/135000-new-hall-sensor-kits/?do=findComment&comment=2916178

Awesome installation instructions by JCook:

Price is 22€ + 7€ tracked international shipping (shipping is only paid once per order)

IMG-20181027-221144.jpg

Cougar Ministick/ Slew replacement

This mod replaces the original Ministick of the Cougar Throttle. Often times the original Ministick is worn out and as no replacement parts are available from Thrusmaster anymore a solution was in dire need for many HOTAS Cougar fans. The thumbhat is modeled after the earlier block original F-16 slew. The mod is completely plug and play.

Price is 22€ + 7€ tracked international shipping (shipping is only paid once per order)

IMG-20210123-003529.jpg

Cougar ANT sensor replacement

This mod replaces the original ANT pot of the Cougar Throttle. Often times the original ANT pot is worn out and as no replacement parts are available from Thrusmaster anymore a solution was in dire need for many HOTAS Cougar fans. The implemented chip allows me to program the min/ max voltage output of the sensor to correspond to the exact min/ max angle actually needed in practice. For the Cougar ANT pot this means 270° of rotation in total.

Important installation instruction:

Spoiler

The ANT pot has three pins labled with GND, OUT and VCC. The cables need to be connected in the following way, please take care to connect them correctly!

green - VCC
yellow - OUT
blue/ purple - GND

IMG-20210513-043431.jpg

CH Pro Throttle, CH Fighterstick, CH Combatstick, CH Pro Pedals etc. magnetoresistive sensors

The cool thing about these MR sensors is that they are a drop in replacement for the standard CH pots, but contrary to these they work contactlessly. That means you can simply connect these sensors to your CH mainboard and done. You will never have to worry about deteriorating or dirty pots again. The CH Control Manager recognizes this sensor normally and you can calibrate it within the software.

Important installation instruction:

The pins of the sensor are labled with VCC, OUT and GND. You need to make sure to connect the voltage supply only to VCC, otherwise you may grill the very sensitive opamp in the circuit.

wire axis code overview:
green = GND
blue = VCC
brown = X out
black = Y out
yellow = Z out

IMG-20210227-022959.jpg

24 Bit shift registers for Cougar USB standalone, Thrustmaster gear, MMJoy2

These are compatible to the Thrustmaster hardware, to MMJoy2 and to my Cougar USB standalone adapter. The dimensions are 20 mm x 50 mm (0.79 in x 1.97 in), so they are very small and fit basically in everywhere. The pins are spaced in standard 2,54 mm (0.1 in) to fit normal header pins (see picture 2). I offer them either with or without header pins.

The shift register is 24 Bit, so it has 24 inputs that you can connect buttons to. It can also be daisy chained, so you can put several shift register boards in series. Eg MMJoy2 supports 12 shift registers in series. So if you daisy chain 4 of my 24 Bit shift register boards, you have a total of 96 button inputs with just 2 pins used. If this isnt pretty damn cool I dont know what is. 😄

Price is 10€ + 7€ tracked international shipping (shipping is only paid once per order)

IMG-20200106-132920.jpg

If you are interested or want to ask questions please contact mtwsims@tutamail.com. No PMs please! 👍 Please note that sometimes I am rather slow to respond and it can take me several days to answer your emails. Payment via PayPal or SEPA bank transaction, but for PayPal I would have to add the fees on top.

All sensors are designed, assembled & hand soldered by me. Every single sensor is then checked and calibrated manually. I can proudly say all my mods are 100% Made in Germany. 🙂

Edited by rel4y
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Cougar, CH and Saitek PnP hall sensor kits + shift registers: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916

Shapeways store for DIY flight simming equipment and repair: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rel4y-diy-joystick-flight-simming

Great development. Unfortunately I sold mine. But I have great respect for people like you helping others with cool things like this. Great.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4080 OC, Windows 10 64bit Home Premium, TrackIR 5 with TrackClip: Pro!, Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base + TM Warthog Stick + 7cm extension + WINWING Orion 2 with F-15EX grips, Cougar MFDs with 8" displays, Saitek Rudder Pedals, Samsung Odyssey G9 49" 5120x1440 @120 Hz

Great development. Unfortunately I sold mine. But I have great respect for people like you helping others with cool things like this. Great.

Thank you for the kind words xoxen!

Cougar, CH and Saitek PnP hall sensor kits + shift registers: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916

Shapeways store for DIY flight simming equipment and repair: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rel4y-diy-joystick-flight-simming

Rel4y

Great work! :thumbup:

An "PnP" potentiometer replacement.

Thank you Sokol. And also thanks for all the great help I got from you in the past! Your posts basically inspired me to make these things in the first place! :smilewink:

Will these sensors give me Full Deflection on the stick ingame?? meaning will it go all the way to the left/right and up/down fully on the Stick ingame?

Edited by The_Nephilim

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

Yes they will. The maximum deflection angle is hard coded in the PCB via a set of resistors. That is why there was some considerable effort involved in getting the values correct and for CH pots I have to use different resistor values eg. The trim pot on the back fine tunes the center point which is for every sensor a bit different because of slight variations in the magnetic plane or minimal variations in resistance. I do however use 1% rated resistors across the board.

With hall sensors you have the problem of getting the magnetic flux strong enough to reach gimbal limits, therefore you have to put the magnet very close to the sensor and generally have to use the most sensitive models anyway. Now a slight off axis setting will cause non linear readout and putting the magnet at the incorrect distance will not give full detection range. Not so with the magnetoresistive sensors. :)

Edited by rel4y

OK If possible can I reserve a set for myself.. I will be able to pay in about 13 days..

I will definitely buy them just need to know if you will hold a set for me until then..

Thank You

Nephilim'

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

Does the sensor fit the throttle and is compatible with stock electronics?

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

OK If possible can I reserve a set for myself.. I will be able to pay in about 13 days..

I will definitely buy them just need to know if you will hold a set for me until then..

Thank You

Nephilim'

You are the same Nephilim from SimHQ, right? I will make another batch once the first is gone, so dont worry.

Does the sensor fit the throttle and is compatible with stock electronics?

As shown in the pictures above the Throttle sensor directly replaces the potentiometer without any fancy mounts. But as it communicates via digital SPI protocol (6 wires), it only works with my USB standalone adapter. I thought about making a plug and play sensor for the Throttle as well, but since there is 3.3v and 5V version of the Throttle trouble is bound to happen sooner or later.

You are the same Nephilim from SimHQ, right? I will make another batch once the first is gone, so dont worry.

Yes that is me too from SimHQ ;) OK as long as you will make a new batch. I will purchase these as soon as I can..

As shown in the pictures above the Throttle sensor directly replaces the potentiometer without any fancy mounts. But as it communicates via digital SPI protocol (6 wires), it only works with my USB standalone adapter.

Yeah, I got this impression, hence why I asked to be sure. Thanks for the prompt reply.

For me that would be a no then, since the main reason I switched to my previously unused TM Cougar is the programming options that TM Target software provides (which started after getting the TM MFD's alongside my Saitek X65 and quickly realizing how it would actually be great to be able to combine them with the HOTAS).

Not sure how big is the market for such a variant, but MilesD sold a number apparently and I didn't get one in time.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Yeah, I got this impression, hence why I asked to be sure. Thanks for the prompt reply.

For me that would be a no then, since the main reason I switched to my previously unused TM Cougar is the programming options that TM Target software provides (which started after getting the TM MFD's alongside my Saitek X65 and quickly realizing how it would actually be great to be able to combine them with the HOTAS).

Not sure how big is the market for such a variant, but MilesD sold a number apparently and I didn't get one in time.

Ok I understand. Like I said, the main problem is not making it, but the two 3,3 and 5V versions of the Throttle. People need to figure out which one they need and that will cause trouble. If you are interested I can probably make one the next weekend. Would you want a simple hall sensor one or a magnetoresistive one? I think I still have a bunch of Allegro 1324s laying around.

But for that you need to tell me which PCB version you have, check here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2863739&postcount=130

Edited by rel4y

Ok I understand. Like I said, the main problem is not making it, but the two 3,3 and 5V versions of the Throttle. People need to figure out which one they need and that will cause trouble. If you are interested I can probably make one the next weekend. Would you want a simple hall sensor one or a magnetoresistive one? I think I still have a bunch of Allegro 1324s laying around.

Is there a noticeable difference in the throttle precision and response between the two sensors?

I'm sure I have the later PCB as I bought a new Cougar quite late (last stocks) fearing it might be the last of its kind given how the flight sim market seemed that back then. The serial number is like 31 thousand something.

Edited by Dudikoff

Well, in theory if both types of sensors are set up perfectly there should be no discernible difference. In the real world however you have to mount the sensors somehow and neodymium magnet strength varies by a huge amount. I tested a batch of N52 magnets and found that they varied up to 30% in magnetic field strength.

As I have mentioned before, hall sensor output is a product of their sensitivity for (eg the very sensitive Allegro 1324 5mV/G), the magnetic flux density they experience and the angle they are set to the magnetic field. So if your flux density varies from magnet to magnet by 30% you will experience huge problems making a fixed mount work. You have to set up every hall sensor at the perfect distance for each individual magnet to get correct readings. Not to mention they should also be perfectly on axis of the magnetic field, to make the output as linear as possible.

Now magnetoresistive sensors alleviate that problem since their relative independence on magnetic flux density and robustness to axis offset. They usually are also of higher sensitivity. It makes my job of setting up the sensor much easier and makes for a more consistent product. A few drawbacks however are, you need to make a PCB with a high quality op amp in your circuit (= higher price) and the temperature stability is much worse. But since we use these sensors indoor in our living rooms and problems start upwards of 70°C, its a non issue.

I need to check if I can get the circuit of the magnetoresistive sensor fit within the Throttle mount, since the trim pot I need for setting the center position is fairly large. Fitting a hall sensor in there is no problem, but has the disadvantages I mentioned above.

Are you able to create a hall sensor replacement for pots? I’m wanting to update a maxflight collective too hall sensors. Plus other upgrades likeminded a huey carol head and use a leobednar pcb so i can add other. Switches on a separate panel using cat5/6 connectors into a central pcb box to make use of all the connections on the pcb.the collective is already wired this way

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

After acting as a human pick and place machine for a few hours I have just finished the second batch, half of which is already reserved. If your interested shoot me a PM. :thumbup:

IMG_20181003_194139.jpg IMG_20181003_233834.jpg

I have also pretty much finished on the CH pot replacement. These pots fit the CH Fighterstick, Combatstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals.

Just the trim pot needs to move to the side and its perfect. My next project will be a combi-shield usable in the CH Combat/Fighterstick + Pedals + Throttle based on the 32 Bit ARM STM32F1 controllers also used in Drones. That microcontroller is much more powerful than the Arduinos and has internal 12 Bit ADCs. I plan to make that one open source and upload it to OSH Park. These sensors would be a perfect fit for such an upgrade from 8 to 12 Bit, as the standard CH pots just dont cut it at 12 Bit.

IMG_20181003_005555.jpg IMG_20181003_005603.jpg IMG_20181003_005514.jpg

Are you able to create a hall sensor replacement for pots? I’m wanting to update a maxflight collective too hall sensors. Plus other upgrades likeminded a huey carol head and use a leobednar pcb so i can add other. Switches on a separate panel using cat5/6 connectors into a central pcb box to make use of all the connections on the pcb.the collective is already wired this way

Yeah, thats pretty much what I am doing. :smartass: What sort of pot do you need? Do you have a picture?

Edited by rel4y

I need to check if I can get the circuit of the magnetoresistive sensor fit within the Throttle mount, since the trim pot I need for setting the center position is fairly large. Fitting a hall sensor in there is no problem, but has the disadvantages I mentioned above.

OK, but would the magnets be fixed in this solution or I'd have to mount them myself?

If you want keep your TQS in original fashion - plugged in Cougar base, but replace their pot' axis, get an Bi-Tech 6127 HALL Sensor with <60º of "electric angle" - this is most important detail to observe when buy pot or sensor for joystick.

For assembly is required manufacture a mount in style of Cub'Pilot HALL kit, with aluminum 'L' sheet, R/C linkage or 3D Print some adapter, since 6127 is bigger than original pot is not a "PnP" replacement. Since this sensor work in analog mode, the electrical connection is identical of original pot.

Another alternative is get GVL224 MagRez PCB, who require adaptation for assembly, but can just use hot glue, this sensor too work in analog mode, the electrical connection is identical of original pot.

If you want keep your TQS in original fashion - plugged in Cougar base, but replace their pot' axis, get an Bi-Tech 6127 HALL Sensor with <60º of "electric angle" - this is most important detail to observe when buy pot or sensor for joystick.

For assembly is required manufacture a mount in style of Cub'Pilot HALL kit, with aluminum 'L' sheet, R/C linkage or 3D Print some adapter, since 6127 is bigger than original pot is not a "PnP" replacement. Since this sensor work in analog mode, the electrical connection is identical of original pot.

Another alternative is get GVL224 MagRez PCB, who require adaptation for assembly, but can just use hot glue, this sensor too work in analog mode, the electrical connection is identical of original pot.

That Bi-Tech 6127 HALL Sensor is prohibitively expensive for a simple hall sensor.. I can make a 3D printed Hall Sensor for half that price, but as plug and play option.

My MR sensors are basically the same as a MagRez Sensor, just in a sealed housing and with ball bearings. But I cant make the PCB small enough to fit in the Throttle pot holder.

Edited by rel4y

Yes, is expensive comparatively to plain HALL sensor - e.g. Allegro A-1324 is 20$* x 2$.

But in recent past people in this forum pay ~50$ for HALL sensor kits just because are somewhat "PnP", but trick to calibrate. Similar kit still available and more expensive.

If the guy have an minimum DIY skill A-1324 is easy to install.

Until an PnP kit like this you make, but with analog interface came, A-1324 is (IMO) the best option for TQS for users than want keep Cougar controller.

* Don't know if still available, the ordinary TQS pot replacement from Thrustmaster cost more than this value.

Edited by Sokol1_br

Yes, is expensive comparatively to plain HALL sensor - e.g. Allegro A-1324 is 20$* x 2$.

But in recent past people in this forum pay ~50$ for HALL sensor kits just because are somewhat "PnP", but trick to calibrate. Similar kit still available and more expensive.

If the guy have an minimum DIY skill A-1324 is easy to install.

Until an PnP kit like this you make, but with analog interface came, A-1324 is (IMO) the best option for TQS for users than want keep Cougar controller.

* Don't know if still available, the ordinary TQS pot replacement from Thrustmaster cost more than this value.

Yes your right Sokol :thumbup:, maybe I just upload a sketch for an easy DIY mount for an Allegro 1324 for the TQS on Shapeways. Then people can print it themselves. I tried fitting the MR Sensor but Id need to make a completely new PCB and stencil for that. Not worth the effort imho.

So you are saying I am too cheap? Need to raise prices then I guess. :D

PS: Tonight I was busy otherwise: CH Hats. As far as I know noone has done these so far and Id like to convert my Combatstick to a full blown Fighterstick. :smilewink: Switches are OMRON B3F-1022.

CH_Hat_3_D.jpg

Edited by rel4y

Yes, its still available and the cost is 10 euro plus shipping, last month purchased one as spare.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

It's very interesting the pot replacement for CH prpducts.

In the Pro throttle, a PCB is needed or just the sensor?

Sent from my MiG-29S (9-13S) using Tapatalk

No you dont need any PCB, these are plug and play. The cool thing about these MR sensors is that they replace the standard CH pots 1 to 1, but contrary to them they work contactless. That means you can simply connect these sensors to your CH mainboard and done. You will never have to worry about deteriorating or dirty pots again. The CH Control Manager recognizes this sensor normally and you can calibrate it.

I just finished making the first batch of CH MR sensors. But I just saw that Shapeways increased 3D printing prices, which I calculated to a 17% price increase on my models. Well great Shapeways... :doh:

IMG_20181005_165936.jpg IMG_20181005_182230.jpg

For installation you can simply pinch the original crimp connectors a bit with a pair of pliers, but I always recommend soldering! :smilewink: Then just stick them ontop of the header pins and your good to go. Your wires colors will be different since this is a gameport CH Pro Throttle. On the sensor PCB the pins are labled as GND, OUT and VCC. For the USB CH Pro Throttle green = GND, yellow = OUT and blue = VCC.

While setting the range I also took a screenshot of the output in VKB joytester. This is uncalibrated so dont be suprised that it doesnt reach full range. Btw the original CH pot doesnt even reach as far as this MR sensor does in uncalibrated state.

IMG_20181005_183541.jpg IMG_20181005_183446.jpg CH_MR_Sensor_Joytester.jpg

Edited by rel4y