Leap Motion Compatible with DCS?

I’ve tried leap motion with other flight simulators. It’s nowhere near accurate enough for cockpit interaction. That’s why I’m dissmissing it.
They would simply need to use two Leap Motion sensors at 90° angle so the fingers don't block each other out, when the hand is in an upright position to the sensor.

Why they don't do it? No idea! But it should give you a pretty stable and precise tracking. The Orion SDK was already a great improvement.

Now, after they manage to combine two Leap Motion sensors with their software, we would still need ED to Support this setup in DCS...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I bought both flyinside and leap motion for use in x-plane11before native vr was released. I did have much luck with either I was having other problems at the time. I did get .them working a time or two but do to other problems I wasn’t able to test the leap motion out I had better luck with flyinside but I prefer the native vr better but would like to see leap motion support in dcs especially in the uh-1h module since it requires both hands and both feet for most things unless your on the ground I wasn’t able to get the oculus controllers to work with anything but toggle switches the time I tried them but it would be hard to transition from hot as to touch controller and back

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

With this aproximation I am trying the accuracy is good. You move the hands where you want with no strange movements.

The problem with Leap motion is the gesture recognition no the hand tracking. My idea is only use very basic gestures.

The problem I am having is that DCS not recognize the buttons I send from the driver (grap and trigger buttons), Steam VR recognizes it but DCS doesn't.

Other approach I am trying is to move the hands and the mouse with the driver so you can click, right click, wheel up/down where you hand is.

The mouse now moves but I need to calculate the coordinates.I have found a document where it explains how calculate it.

http://blog.leapmotion.com/vr-essentials-need-build-scratch/

If some can help maybe we can finish it.

Maybe fly inside will come out with a dcs version. I’m going back to trying it in native vr in xp11 and try it in dcs now that itsy got a native vr mode.

But would be better than using mouse or touch controllers

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

• 3 months later...
First steps with Leap motion driver for DCS

How was that achieved please? I dont need the extreme accuracy or the ability to flick switches, only to see where my hands are in the cockpit. ( I am building a real cockpit to scale around me using the Spitfire, but still need to see where my hands are. )

They would simply need to use two Leap Motion sensors at 90° angle so the fingers don't block each other out, when the hand is in an upright position to the sensor.

Why don't they do it? No idea! But it should give you a pretty stable and precise tracking. The Orion SDK was already a great improvement.

Now, after they manage to combine two Leap Motion sensors with their software, we would still need ED to Support this setup in DCS...

In DCS you will just need tracking, not all five fingers and two gestures for left and right button to be able to interact with buttons like with a mouse. You don't even need to look at your hands, already existing mouse cursor symbols are good. Only what Leap motion need to do is X, Y, Z positioning of that cursor inside the cockpit and that's it. Keep it simple.

In DCS you will just need tracking, not all five fingers and two gestures for left and right button to be able to interact with buttons like with a mouse. You don't even need to look at your hands, already existing mouse cursor symbols are good. Only what Leap motion need to do is X, Y, Z positioning of that cursor inside the cockpit and that's it. Keep it simple.
Leap motion itself already tracks all five fingers by default. The SDK can be used to do what ever you want to recognize.

The problem is with only one Leap Motion tracker it does not recognize even the "one or two" gestures precisely enough.

The basic flaw is that the single tracking camera has only one field of view.

I recommend to have a more detailed look at the Orion SDK and how Leap Motion works, to better understand the technology.

The finger tracking isn't more or less complex by design, as this is the fundamental technology of Leap Motion. ;)

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

i use leap motion in altspacevr just to mess around and it seems like it would work pretty well in dcs world if implemented right.

id like to see a push button assigned to the hotas that activates a finger so u just point at the switch and press the button then u can move the finger into the switch to toggle it. this way u dont accidentally hit switches.

i think we are a looong way off from 1/1 hand tracking in a cockpit.