6 mo with DCS. Great sim. Still don't know a few things. Help : )

redmantab

I'm relatively new. Finished learning the Free Su-25 and P-51 Mustang over the last couple months. I play in VR, 1080 ti, x52, and just have a few questions. Please bare with some of these being noob.

1 - What would be a good next jet to fly after the Su-25 and P-51? I'd like fully clickable. Please advise.

2 - My P-51 that came Free was "fully clickable" correct? How does that compare to some of the other clickable cockpits such as Mirage or Harrier? Does the p-51 have much less to click?

3 - My 1080ti and modern comp pack a good punch but, still, what would be best to help me see my buttons/knobs in more clarity? IS there an option to increase text size ? I super sample some to 1.5x but would LOVE any recommendation to increase text or see just a bit clearer in VR.

4 - Occasionally when using my hotas and mouse in game my mouse will sometimes just start to "drift" across the screen in game. If I alt tab my mouse will continue to drift outside of the gaming window. It's annoying and makes it hard to click anything. The solution I found that half works is I unplug the USB of my x52 and then stick it right back in. The mouse drifting stops. Any idea WHY this happens?

5 - If I wanted a campaign for my P-51 (hope I'm saying the name of the free plane that came w the game correct) any recommendations? Do people ever run coop campaigns in multi player?

6 - I want updated graphics and am thinking of buying Nevada test range etc. Money isn't really an object, I'm old. Should I ? Will it look that much better and add to the ambiance?

7 - Finally, are there any 2 seater co-op planes/jets where you can multi player with someone in the same plane? Seems cool!

8 - Call me weird but I LOVE start up sequences and learning them. When you DCS veterans run campaigns or multiplayer please tell me that the start up process of these aircraft is often something you run to simulate real life?

Thanks in advance. Go easy on me. Loving the awesome learning and for a non pilot in real life...this game in VR and learning to even start up an aircraft is just awe inspiring.

I always do cold starts, I too love the immersion. I have a less powerful computer than you, and run VR too. Have you bound a button to VR zoom? that helps immensely in reading labels and such.

The P-51 you get for free is an unarmed trainer version. Afaik there is no campaign for that.

What jet should you get? good question!

A-10C : slow, intricate; lots of systems to learn and ways to make things go boom. Bind a VR zoom button because you will spend a lot of time poring over a screen in your cockpit.

AV-8B : fast, also quite a bunch of avionics, very interesting aerodynamics (its a VSTOL jump jet) but isn't entirely done yet, so some systems missing or buggy.

Mirage 2000C : fast as heck. Mostly a fighter but can do some A/G. Nicely detailed systems too but nothing too complicated.

F-5E : quick and nimble little jet. Startup is an involved process but has very few avionics to deal with (no radar or targetting pod). Very nice to fly in VR due to nice cockpit and gunfighter role.

These are the jets I'd reccomend to you.

Afaik there are no two seater co-op jets so far There are a couple jet trainers that allow two seat co-op (L-39). In the (near?) future we're getting the F-14 Tomcat which has two seat co-op as one of its flagship features. also top gun lol.

The Nevada map is pretty and used to be far prettier than Caucasus. Not anymore. Caucasus got updated and is about as nice. I actually prefer it to the dry desert which I find boring. It is nicely detailed tho. Tearing down the Vegas strip in a jet and putting some thousand pounders into the trump tower never gets old.

Good luck and never hesitate to pose questions here or anywhere else! This stuff aint easy ever (neither the planes nor your weird drifting mouse issue)

I5 9600KF, 32GB, 3080ti, G2, PointCTRL

1 - What would be a good next jet to fly after the Su-25 and P-51? I'd like fully clickable. Please advise.

8 - Call me weird but I LOVE start up sequences and learning them. When you DCS veterans run campaigns or multiplayer please tell me that the start up process of these aircraft is often something you run to simulate real life?

I’m gonna refer to these two points on a single answer :) as I’m also a fan of realistic start-up (and flight procedures too). I want to suggest a jet easy to learn and for which is easy to get the real flight manual of the aircraft and use it as a guide for the startup ... the F-5, as it's a very enjoyable plane to learn and it isnt as complicated as the more modern aircrafts ... this video showcases its startup, hope you like it as much as I do:

bKEkh5viCcw

A runner up would be the F-86, which is nearer the tech level of the P-51, but the F-5 has more content made for it (campaigns & missions)

2 - My P-51 that came Free was "fully clickable" correct? How does that compare to some of the other clickable cockpits such as Mirage or Harrier? Does the p-51 have much less to click?

Yes, correct, all clickeable cockpits work on the same way, but of course the Mirage and Harrier have more systems to,operate and so have much more controls to click :)

4 - Occasionally when using my hotas and mouse in game my mouse will sometimes just start to "drift" across the screen in game. If I alt tab my mouse will continue to drift outside of the gaming window. It's annoying and makes it hard to click anything. The solution I found that half works is I unplug the USB of my x52 and then stick it right back in. The mouse drifting stops. Any idea WHY this happens?

Most likely a defective mouse, get a friend to loan his mouse and check if the problem persists or not.

5 - If I wanted a campaign for my P-51 (hope I'm saying the name of the free plane that came w the game correct) any recommendations? Do people ever run coop campaigns in multi player?

The free P-51 is actually a TF-51 and no, there is no campaign for it. Public multiplayer servers are usually not coop, but virtual squadrons usually do coop missions and sometimes even campaigns ... look for a newbie friendly squadron.. its a much better experience than public servers.

6 - I want updated graphics and am thinking of buying Nevada test range etc. Money isn't really an object, I'm old. Should I ? Will it look that much better and add to the ambiance?

I’d suggest the persian gulf map that is now on pre-sale at discount ... its kind of similar to the Nevada desert, but also have sea.

7 - Finally, are there any 2 seater co-op planes/jets where you can multi player with someone in the same plane? Seems cool!

The L-39 has that feature ... keep in mind that both playershave to own the plane and they have to be connected to the same MP server.

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Lets start by asking what is your intention? Do Like ww2 aircraft, want to feel what it was really like to fly back in the day, get up close and personal when shooting someone down...

Want something more modern, that's still not too complicated, with old school bombing? L-39ZA Albatros, this aircraft is really nice to fly and has two seat co-op, real nice jet trainer. F-5E is also very nice western fighter that uses tacan navigation and fits well with Nevada, same with the A-10, many get scared of the A-10C, she is real easy to fly, just leave the systems off at first, fly with tacan and use the ILS. Slowly build up, she will keep you learning things for months if not years, best bang for buck by far.

Nevada is all about learning how the military trains IRL, how to navigate and use the landmarks, some campaigns start with guided tours of the area so you get your bearings when the fights on.

If you really want something different and way out there, that even I thought I wouldn't even like was the Mig-21. This aircraft is so different to fly and it's a blast, landing is a whole new experience and not really for the inexperienced or faint hearted, really cool when you get it sorted out tho.

It's really better explained by video anyway. You'll want this aircraft at some point, the last update fix many bugs, really good in VR now.

Are you into combat? What sort of combat and combat tactics will you eventually want to get into redmantab?

If you ever need some great bedtime reading material and learn about most of the aircraft in DCS, download all Chuck's DCS Guides, they are really good at breaking things down for easy learning. Download the aircraft guides that others have mentioned here.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I'm going to go a bit left-field here...

I'd recommend the F86 as a first plane. You mentioned specifically enjoying the startup procedures, and I know the F86 is quite simple to start. However, you spend your time flying it rather than programming systems while it flies itself. Also, the DLC campaign for the F86 is the best I've played.

From a multiplayer point of view, there's at least one server dedicated to Korea-era planes, which tends to mean plenty of Mig15/F86 encounters. They're close-up, personal, and evenly matched. No BVR stuff where you get taken out from miles away.

Finally, in VR I find the most difficult things to read tend to be screens (e.g. MFDs) or panels with loads of similar-looking small-labelled buttons. The F86 is relatively clear in that regard.

Whatever you choose, you're in for years of fun!

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K, Kempston joystick Interface, Alba Cassette Recorder, Quickshot II Turbo Joystick

Welcome to DCS

1. Buy what you want to try. Just don't buy FC3 level planes if you want clickable pits.

2. The Tf-51 is comparable to the other WW2 birds, and maybe the F-86/MiG-15. Each later generation aircraft becomes more complex, meaning more things to click.

3. Sorry no VR here.

4. The USB port your mouse is on maybe "sharing" space with your flight gear. You can try moving things around, but keep in mind that could screw up your existing control schemes.

5. There are MP servers that have the TF-51 available. Blue Flag makes excellent use of it for recon/transport. I'm sure others do as well. When looking at a server in the server browser, the available aircraft are listed.

6. Nevada is stunning. It has a very different vibe.

7. The only currently functional 2 seat jet is the L-39. If you become interested in Helo's, there is the Gazelle. Others should become available in the future.

8. This depends entirely on the mission builder, and ones personal preference. After you start an aircraft for the 500th time, even you might want to use the auto start cheat once in a while.

I also would really suggest the F-5 ... it is a perfect transition from the prop planes. Now, if you are really interested in the ground pounding from the Su25 and similar systems using imaging and radar then the AV-8 might be a good option for you as well.

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

Just on #4 - I experience exactly the same thing on my X52pro, though not often. It seems to be the ministick on the throttle giving inputs - not the regular mouse.

Sometimes just moving the ministick around will clear it, otherwise your solution always works for me.

My vote is to wait a week or two for the Hornet. This is going to be the best all-rounder, fully multirole with a lot of weapons, but the initial release will be limited to dumb bombs and basic missiles, so you will not be overwhelmed with features.

I mean if you decide to get the Hornet, buy it now while the preorder discount lasts.

If not the Hornet then the choice gets more difficult. Actually the more complex aircraft are often easier to fly, because they have more ergonomic cockpits and controls, better sensors so you're not limited to eyeballing stuff (which is a problem in VR) and wider choice of weapons.

I would avoid:

Hawk - broken and unfinished.

C-101 - unfinished, still waiting for armed version and better flight model.

AV-8B - early access, with limited documentation, different stuff gets broken every patch, not a very good choice for beginner.

Other aircraft are in decent shape, so pick the one that looks interesting to you :)

Also instead of Nevada, consider waiting a week or two for the Persian Gulf map. Should offer even better visuals than Nevada, but it will take a while before some campaigns become available.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

2 weeks!

Steve (Slick)

ThrustMaster T.Flight Hotas X | TrackIR5 Pro | EVGA GTX 1070 | Win10 64-bit Professional | Dell Precision 7920 Workstation | 1 TB SSD | 128 GB Memory | Dual Intel Xeon Platinum 2.0 GHz 16 Core Processors (64 Total w/HT ON) | 24" Dell Monitor

The x52 has a ministick that doubles as mouse input, it sounds like it is off centre. IIRC it can be configured in Saitek's profiler/control panel to have 'bands' and/or a dead zone.

6 - I want updated graphics and am thinking of buying Nevada test range etc. Money isn't really an object, I'm old. Should I ?

IMHO the free 2.5 Caucasus map looks better, if you want to fly the A-10C in a Red Flag exercise referencing the 'real' ranges or fly the P-51 over Normandy, they may be worth it but for general use I'd stick with Caucasus. The Persian Gulf map is looking good, so perhaps wait for that unless there is a specific scenario

Will it look that much better and add to the ambiance?
Tech and optimisation has been improving with each map. Ambience will depend on what you want, A-10C in Red Flag, P-52 over Normandy or A-10C at war (Persian Gulf/Strait of Homuz). IMHO the 'new' maps tend to be patchy with areas of high detail and large areas of low/no detail, while the free Caucasus is pretty high detail everywhere except the map edges

The Gazelle is pretty good (when it's working well) as the the second seat controls the camera and HOT A2G missiles, the L-39 seat is more a sit in for 'check rides' and while 'cool' to test - doesn't get used much. As both players need to own the module - it's often more effective/fun to fly as lead and wingman, rather than co-op. Note: the WIP F-14A/B will have a second seat for a player RIO.

Sure, though it's something I focus on when first learning a aircraft or after a break. Once I've memorised it, I'll often switch to hot/air starts as time can be limited and I want to focus on something else, rather than waste time on a routine 10 minute startup/taxi.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Thanks for the great replies everyone. I'm definitely following a good amount of this advice. Since I already learned to some degree the p-51 with the free version, I bought the actual P-51 module, normandy, ww2 assets, and Charnwood campaign. This way I get to fully learn this aircraft since I already have some experience and will get another in the near future. With that in mind -

1 - Sounds funny but on Charnwood's first campaign mission, where do I go? I see a little runway, took off, and then.....no indicator of where to go or what to do? Can someone assist a bit?

2 - I know many of you don't VR but I love the immersion. It seems as if Normany is flickering a bunch and doesn't look as good as the "regular map." I'm surprised. It also is a bit juddery and I'm getting worse performance than just training in the p51 on the normal map etc. Is this due to the mission having many other aircraft and items on the field? Any thoughts on this?

3 - For any of you that DO use VR would it make sense for me to take the time to utilize the "quick look" panels or whatever they are called? As looking around in VR works well, but not for right to the left or right of my pilot on side panels etc. Those are tight. Any advice? I know this is a vr forum question but thought I'd slip just one in here to avoid a separate thread and I'm guessing one or 2 of you fellas would know.

Truly appreciate these active forums and advice

No me i like a challenge so my fav is the uh-1 huey arguably the most difficult dcs airframe to master

I’m a collector as I have most of the mods and I’ve been playing dcs since December 2017 what I have noticed each release of dcs gets things better and the mods get much better. If you can wait until the hornet drops this week and Persian Gulf next week. Start reading the. Natops(navel term for user manual ) for the f-18 that way. You. Will have. That covered.persian gulf map should drop next week from the. Info I’m hearing.

Edited by BlacleyCole

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Thanks for the great replies everyone. I'm definitely following a good amount of this advice. Since I already learned to some degree the p-51 with the free version, I bought the actual P-51 module, normandy, ww2 assets, and Charnwood campaign. This way I get to fully learn this aircraft since I already have some experience and will get another in the near future. With that in mind -

1 - Sounds funny but on Charnwood's first campaign mission, where do I go? I see a little runway, took off, and then.....no indicator of where to go or what to do? Can someone assist a bit?

2 - I know many of you don't VR but I love the immersion. It seems as if Normany is flickering a bunch and doesn't look as good as the "regular map." I'm surprised. It also is a bit juddery and I'm getting worse performance than just training in the p51 on the normal map etc. Is this due to the mission having many other aircraft and items on the field? Any thoughts on this?

3 - For any of you that DO use VR would it make sense for me to take the time to utilize the "quick look" panels or whatever they are called? As looking around in VR works well, but not for right to the left or right of my pilot on side panels etc. Those are tight. Any advice? I know this is a vr forum question but thought I'd slip just one in here to avoid a separate thread and I'm guessing one or 2 of you fellas would know.

Truly appreciate these active forums and advice

1. - RTFM...:D

This is just one of the things that makes DCS very cool, to learn what it was really like back in those days. Get to know the area and your mission at hand. Read the great documents that come with the campaign found in the campaign folder. I don't have the Charnwood yet, I do have the Spitfire campaign and a lot of work went into these campaigns by

C:Programs FilesEagle DynamicsDCS WorldModscampaigns(YOUR CAMPAIGN)Doc

It's just old school, would have been scary flying over the channel engaging enemy and then navigating back, even in bad weather.:cry: Now you know what it was like...Where's my moving map? There's only one, look out the window and look at the paper map in your lap. You can also cheat a little by see where you are on the F10 map.;)

This is really cheating, that's not standard equipment back in 1944.

Destinations-Mustang-ride-panel.gif

attachment.php?attachmentid=184651&stc=1&d=1526452026

attachment.php?attachmentid=184652&stc=1&d=1526452270

Even tho DCS is possibly one of the best VR experiences, DCS was never designed for VR from the get go. These campaigns are possibly 10x the size (hardware resources) of anything you will find designed specifically for VR on the Rift store.

I don't fly these campaigns using the Rift, I knew there was going to be limitations going in from reading the forum. I play quite small medium missions to balance out pliability vs eye-candy, well as good as eye-candy you can get in 1st Generation VR.

Who knows in a few more VR Generations where it will be? DCS is also reshaping for the future to use the Vulkan api. I'm sure in the future, these campaigns will be playable at 4K VR. Cannot wait too.

I will also add that Normandy is more demanding in VR at the moment, compared to the other maps.

I've been playing with a modified label for VR that shows a dot for aircraft and ground units, you might want to take a look HERE. See post 9 in that thread for the update and for how it works, so you can modify it to suit your setup or make it easier.

Snap views, they do work. I use them in the A-10C.

Setup the VR zoom button on your joystick too, so you can see and read things easier.

-

oldschool.thumb.jpg.23d0f88ee2b8da229ba8458bf95d86c4.jpg

doc1.thumb.jpg.e85d6c62c683ee090218aad32dcaae5a.jpg

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

For your drifting mouse...as someone above said the ministick could be moving the mouse.

2 options:

--Map it to something else. Slew is a good option.

--Add some deadzone in. Would be a good idea for option 1 as well.

Hope this helps!

Regarding VR Snap Views. In the guys video above (thanks again!) his snap views work in VR. That's awesome.

I've learned how to make snap views in "Non vr" and they work perfectly. That whole left win key + numpad 1-9 and then right alt plus 0 to save. I do that, and they work great on my monitor. The second I go into VR they don't work at all.

1 - Could I kindly request someone to share what I'm missing here with the VR snap views? Secondly about snap views in VR, they should work in every cockpit of every plane for the most part I'd imagine?

2 - I now understand a lot more about my first mission in Charnwood due to the above post and a littl eF10 cheating just to see where I am. It helps. That being said, it's pretty vague about what I'm supposed to do? Do I personally need to bomb something? It says that's our goal but it completed the mission after I flew around (stupidly I might add but I at least took in the views and some flak :) and I'm like to be more involved.

Regarding VR Snap Views. In the guys video above (thanks again!) his snap views work in VR. That's awesome.

I've learned how to make snap views in "Non vr" and they work perfectly. That whole left win key + numpad 1-9 and then right alt plus 0 to save. I do that, and they work great on my monitor. The second I go into VR they don't work at all.

1 - Could I kindly request someone to share what I'm missing here with the VR snap views? Secondly about snap views in VR, they should work in every cockpit of every plane for the most part I'd imagine?

2 - I now understand a lot more about my first mission in Charnwood due to the above post and a littl eF10 cheating just to see where I am. It helps. That being said, it's pretty vague about what I'm supposed to do? Do I personally need to bomb something? It says that's our goal but it completed the mission after I flew around (stupidly I might add but I at least took in the views and some flak :) and I'm like to be more involved.

Think of these missions as if you are really back in WW2, these are the real types of mission and patrols that where flown once in France, to push back the German Nazi's. Look at the research that

has gone through for these campaigns that really took place.

Go through the documents in the campaign folder and think like your a fighter pilot going out to help the war effort back in 1944, play your part and complete the assigned missions.

Campaign documents

C:\Programs Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\campaigns\(YOUR CAMPAIGN)\Doc

Just do your assigned task then take out any targets of opportunity if able. I know we sometimes want more of a game. IRL in ww2, it was possibly more like 90 percent boredom and 10 percent sheer terror. Always be ready for that 10%;)

media-6581.jpeg?itok=bbtKySo6

attachment.php?attachmentid=184756&stc=1&d=1526628331

attachment.php?attachmentid=184757&stc=1&d=1526628331

As for the snap views, I haven't tried setting them up in sim only. I have CH controls at the moment and I'm using the CH manager software to assign the hotas buttons to the throttle. Basically it just sends the keyboard commands to the game. HOLD down Num0 and press Num1 through 9.

This seems to work this way, not sure about the all the modules?

You could do the same with saitek controller software SST for only some buttons or T.A.R.G.E.T for thrustmaster I guess.

Charnwood-mis-1.thumb.jpg.900ceeff5cbbd4b3617ea36be6e24503.jpg

Charnwood-mis-2.thumb.jpg.cfdad635d54e25e49365c6592c198ed5.jpg

Thank you for the explanation of the missions. That makes perfect sense.

Regarding the snap views in VR and what you said below, pardon my not understanding this at all. CH? What is that? I did the num0 thing you mention but isn't it left windows button and num1 through 9?

Your quote -

"As for the snap views, I haven't tried setting them up in sim only. I have CH controls at the moment and I'm using the CH manager software to assign the hotas buttons to the throttle. Basically it just sends the keyboard commands to the game. HOLD down Num0 and press Num1 through 9.

You could do the same with saitek controller software SST for only some buttons or T.A.R.G.E.T for thrustmaster I guess."

Good morning Mr Readmantab, I read his message and I would like to give you some advice to help you enjoy this beautiful simulator, in short as first airplanes I recommend those to propeller. For example the P51D that owns the complete armament, the Me 109k which is very difficult in the takeoff and landing compared to the P 51. Also the Spitfire and the FW 190 are beautiful airplanes. Later if you want to experience the "cold war" airplanes, there is Mig 21..super, and so on. Basically to take planes in this order, that is first the most dated and simple ones and only later the more modern ones up to airplanes like the A10 C that has so much to understand and a manual of many pages. Greetings and have fun.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]My dream: DCS Tornado

Thank you for the explanation of the missions. That makes perfect sense.

Regarding the snap views in VR and what you said below, pardon my not understanding this at all. CH? What is that? I did the num0 thing you mention but isn't it left windows button and num1 through 9?

Your quote -

"As for the snap views, I haven't tried setting them up in sim only. I have CH controls at the moment and I'm using the CH manager software to assign the hotas buttons to the throttle. Basically it just sends the keyboard commands to the game. HOLD down Num0 and press Num1 through 9.

You could do the same with saitek controller software SST for only some buttons or T.A.R.G.E.T for thrustmaster I guess."

This works in the sim just binding a joystick button to the left windows + Num1 to Num9 under the controls setup page and you can still use the VR zoom once at that new location.:)

1) Make sure you allow user saved snap views. This will enable you to create the spot for the snap location and save it. When I first tried this in the P-51 there was no snap position, except with using left win + Num4 and Num6 only?

attachment.php?attachmentid=184818&stc=1&d=1526704962

2) Create the movement you need to snap to by using the same commands?

Yep, these are the same commands used to save the view in the first place, when I first learn this on a 2D screen, you first enable user saved snap explained above.

Then to modify one of the views, you would hold Left windows, then hit the number pad button you want to modify, 1 to 9.

It will jump to the view for a second if it has one set already? Then all you need to do is move your view to where you want it to snap to now (Works in VR just a litter harder).

Hold your head in position, then Hold (Right Alt) then hit (hit Number Pad0) to save that snap buttons new snap view location.

This can also be done using Tir or by pausing Tir and also manually move the camera around.

attachment.php?attachmentid=184820&stc=1&d=1526706240

So you can bind 9 snap views to buttons and you can modify these to snap to any location you need.

Quick Recap using ED's Wiki below

ED's wiki Snap views

Customising a Snap View

1. Set your current view up as you want it saved. (hold your head there in VR LOL)
  2. Press LWin+Num/X - Num/X being whichever numeric keypad key you intend customising. Your view will briefly snap to whatever the current snap view setting is for that key, then return to your previous view.
  3. Press RAlt+Num0 - The snap view should now be saved.

Test it by changing your view, then holding down LWin+NumX - you should see your customised snap view!

(User save snap views can be turned on now in the options menu)

No need to edit files as explained on the ED's Wiki page.

EDIT: I did try and see if you could cheat and setup a snap view looking backwards :D to check 6, didn't work, you still look forward from that VR snap position.:(

-

SaveSnapView.jpg.cef90c03788f2fcb7ce7c7b97afee1e0.jpg

MoveView.jpg.bb519896762a957ebfec1730df9c3969.jpg

Edited by David OC

1) the more modern the jet the more to learn

2) I don’t recall if it was a fmull fidelity model but believe it was, but refer to my answer to one the best trainer seems to be the C-101 from reviews I just got it but haven’t loaded it yet.

3) play with the vr settings and find your best over all settings that balance between computer settings and FPS

4) saitek ‘s cheap parts, have dcs go into full screen using alt+enter

5) best thing to do is find a multiplayer squad that flys what you want to fly, when you can fly and under the conditions you like ie strictness vs friendly some want experienced pilots others are willing to teach if your. Willing to learn, some have one or more flight nights at scheduled times other free lance it

6)nttr is desert so the graphics are basic although it is a newer terrain I would get the Persian gulf that will be released in less than 48hrs it will be the newest tech

7)yes for fixed wing I believe it is the c-101 but I could be wrong for helos it’s the gazelle

8) some follow the checklist others use autostart

Edited by BlacleyCole

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Well, the good news is I've created 3 snap views in my p51. Now, on the main view when I load into my plane, i'm 2 inches from the cockpit.

My "default" zoom when looking straight ahead is now far too close. I've tried resetting to defaul snap views 1-3 but when I load back into my P-51 I'm too close to the cockpit in vr.

Any tips on a fast way I can just "reset my standard distance" in my cockpit. I have a recentering button but am not talking about that...it's just defaulted far too close now.

Thank you in advance

Change your ipd

Or if you configured vr zoom make sure activated

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Using voice to text but I wanted to take a minute to share some updates since many of you were very hopeful.

All of your assistance here has been put to use and I am thoroughly enjoying DCs. I have finished all training with the P-51 and I'm actually getting pretty decent to wear I'm on the 14th challenge mission where I have to strafe a few trucks and Dodge AAA. I'm surprised at how much I improved when I just fly a bit per day and that each day becomes much easier. I'm actually managing to land the P-51 about half the time now although that sure is tricky with the bouncing regardless. My snap views are all working also.

With all this in mind I thought I'd ask a couple more questions.

1 - I guess this isn't a question but an observation. I love these maps and the caucus map truly is huge. When I do a mission even in one small area of the map and press F10 I can see how truly large this is and how much detail are in these Maps. Are they all about the same size and this incredibly large?

2 - I've asked about multiple thank you. But in a nutshell can I just for quick multiplayer enjoyment find some server in the list and just jump in with my P-51 and Free Flight with other players? Or is it more involved to where I truly need to join a group of people which I'm not against and then play with those folks?

3 - I'll sneak in a quick ATC question. It seems as if when I press backslash and then f v f 1 f 1 that it doesn't quite request landing. Is there a link to a quick easy way to use ATC guide you'd be surprised how little came up with Google besides hour long videos.

Voice to text so pardon of the F5 and other things looking odd above!