Dcs 2.5.4 anti aliasing

Hi guys,

Not sure if I'm posting in the right section, but any way. I can't work my head around fixing aa. The in game msaa completely kills my frames, from having it around 80, for example, and msaa off I loose about 20 with x2 and around 40 with x4. I can't live with that. Having it completely off isn't an option as well as it's just to jagged. I tried tweaks with nvidia control panel, and only enabling fxaa seems to work. It helps a bit, but cockpit appears a bit washed out and I can still see the jagged lines and shimmering. If I try to overwrite application settings it does not change anything. Looks like ncp antialiasing not changing anything. Any tips and advice? I'm out of ideas... Thanks

Edited by nikitatattoo

Combine 2x or 4x MSAA in DCS with „enable MFAA“ and „Enhance Application Settings" in NVIDIA. That's a good balance of performance loss vs quality in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

overalien

Hog Driver starting to really like the Tomcat

System specs:

Intel i7-8700k - OC to 5.0 GHz

| 32 GB RAM 3600 MHz | Nvidia 1080ti SLi | Mixed Storage - Win 10 and DCS on Samsung SSD 970 Pro

Flightgear:

7 Displays (3 x 1440p, 1 X 1080p, 3 X Lilliput Touch) | 3 x Cougar MFDs

| Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR Pedals | iBEAM Shaker + Simshaker for Aviators w. Sound Module | Helios | VAICOM Pro + AIRIO | TrackIR 5

Hi guys,

I can't work my head around fixing aa. The in game msaa completely kills my frames, from having it around 80, for example, and msaa off I loose about 20 with x2 and around 40 with x4. I can't live with that. ........

I've been fiddeling again during the last two weeks with exactly this and I cant choose. Pick FPS and loose that pixel you were tracking against every other jagged pixel. Choose AA and loose it in the fps ghosting. However I have found it easier to go with AWS off for target tracking. Easier to track for some reason. But leave it on by default.

Its shame that one has to choose...

"Hard to imagine bigger engine. its got a beautiful face and an arse built like sputnik." - Pikey AKA The Poet, on 37 Viggen.

Thanks overalien for the tip. I spent whole evening last night messing around with it. You're right, it looks like best performance-quality ratio. I have to sacrifice some fps but it looks a lot better then just fxaa. I found out that if I choose to enhance application setting it also makes a slight improvement, but it seems that there is literally no difference between x2 and x8, so i kept it at x2. Also guys, do I understand it correctly that when you use msaa and mfaa( in control panel) the fxaa should be off? they shouldn't be switched on both at the same time?

Hey OttoPus. I just checked if mfaa has any effect, and I have to say it does, at least on my system. If i have it ON the picture is quite a lot better and smoother.

This is absolutely new, maybe something is changed behind the scenes lately. I'll give it a try, thank you for reporting

This is absolutely new, maybe something is changed behind the scenes lately. I'll give it a try, thank you for reporting

No problem, hope it helps. Btw having it on doesn't affect frames but does a decent job at smoothing things out:thumbup:

Edited by nikitatattoo

Combine 2x or 4x MSAA in DCS with „enable MFAA“ and „Enhance Application Settings" in NVIDIA. That's a good balance of performance loss vs quality in my experience.

This works great for me!

Thanks for the tip.

Nice combination of clarity, framerate and anti-aliasing.

You must activate 2x or 4x MSAA in DCS and set Nvidia to enhance app settings and turn on MFAA. On its own, MFAA does nothing if your in-game settings for AA are off. MFAA changes the calculation algorithm to a more efficient one.

overalien

System specs:

| 32 GB RAM 3600 MHz | Nvidia 1080ti SLi | Mixed Storage - Win 10 and DCS on Samsung SSD 970 Pro

Flightgear:

| Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR Pedals | iBEAM Shaker + Simshaker for Aviators w. Sound Module | Helios | VAICOM Pro + AIRIO | TrackIR 5

You must activate 2x or 4x MSAA in DCS and set Nvidia to enhance app settings and turn on MFAA. On its own, MFAA does nothing if your in-game settings for AA are off. MFAA changes the calculation algorithm to a more efficient one.

Yep that's what I did, I set MSAA in game to 2x and MFAA to 2x also

I think MFAA you can only toggle On or OFF, in control panel ..

That is correct.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

You must use MSAA 2x or 4x in DCS OPTIONS (in game) , not in NVIDIA.

overalien

System specs:

Flightgear:

This aa thing makes me crazy.

with msaa 4x and mfaa, looks better than horrible.

ssaa with msaa 4x looks good but gives 25 fps whereas previous setting gives 60-70 fps

Also look at this lanfind light. Looks pixelated and with a weird instagram filter

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5