Harrier poll

Prowler111

Harrier poll  

542 members have voted

1. 1. Harrier poll

• AV-8B Harrier II Night Attack
    • GR7/GR9 Harrier

Ha, i guess the poll went up before the East coast came online! Despite the Love I have for British stuff, on this one I feel no remorse in clicking with the US derivative of the beloved plane.

Reasons: Avionics. It's got things we know about and have been modelled and well documented already at a fairly sharp end of the pointy stick spectrum and things that interest me and I bet a wider audience. The apg65 or 73 would be a dream come true, there are some similarities to the Hornet early versions, but its fitting with those carrier based planes already in development and that makes it more easily marketable as an isolated version. Italy and Spain should be on board this too.

And AMRAAM vs 9L is no contest.

If we get GR9 I would not be unhappy at all, but wouldnt mind a British carrier modelled.

And ED must do something about mobile FARPS and temporary runways to go alongside these types - make them spawnable, give this type of aircraft its own niche thats got a battlefield use.

The AV8B may be the more complex but I cannot say that it should be more complex to develop as generally the US are more open about their docs. And they make them in colour with pictures :) Just look at the Google results between the two planes.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gotta say, I'm absolutely blown away by the support for the GR9. I had no idea it had that kind of following. I guess you learn something every day.

I still would prefer the AV-8B but if the community feels otherwise its still a must buy for me.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

GR7/GR9 all the way for me. :thumbup:

This module will truly be the icing on the DCS cake for me :D

and for you guy's and gal's who fancy a little bit of reading to get you all in the mood for the GR7/GR9 I can HIGHLY recommend....

"Joint Force Harrier" By Commander Ade Orchard RN.

This really is a stunning book and shows off the potential of the Harrier and what the brave and talented guy's who flew it achieved, in this truly astounding and versatile little jet.

Hope the Dev's find time to read it too as it shows off the role to which the Harrier is most suited and will hopefully give them inspiration when building the module and what it can hopefully be used for within DCS world.

God speed on this one RAZBAM, I can't wait..... :D

Edited by bart

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Ha, i guess the poll went up before the East coast came online! Despite the Love I have for British stuff, on this one I feel no remorse in clicking with the US derivative of the beloved plane.

Reasons: Avionics. It's got things we know about and have been modelled and well documented already at a fairly sharp end of the pointy stick spectrum and things that interest me and I bet a wider audience. The apg65 or 73 would be a dream come true, there are some similarities to the Hornet early versions, but its fitting with those carrier based planes already in development and that makes it more easily marketable as an isolated version. Italy and Spain should be on board this too.

And AMRAAM vs 9L is no contest.

If we get GR9 I would not be unhappy at all, but wouldnt mind a British carrier modelled.

And ED must do something about mobile FARPS and temporary runways to go alongside these types - make them spawnable, give this type of aircraft its own niche thats got a battlefield use.

The AV8B may be the more complex but I cannot say that it should be more complex to develop as generally the US are more open about their docs. And they make them in colour with pictures :) Just look at the Google results between the two planes.

It's about the NA version of the av8b - so no radar and less available a/g ordnance then the gr7/9

To be fair, you don't get a radar on the Gr.7/9 either, and you also lose out on a gun.

With the GR7/9 you gain two extra sidewinder pylons plus an internal jammer.

The AV-8B has to use a centerline external pylon for its ALQ-126C jammer pod and I'm not sure it can use it in conjunction with the gun seeing as the belt feed from the ammo drum crosses the belly where the center pylon is located.

The equipment differences between the British and American Harriers highlight the different missions they were acquired for. The GR7/9 are interdiction machines and the AV-8B is a CAS machine. The gun is not really required for interdiction whereas it does have a use in the CAS role.

Edited by Vampyre

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

I am partial to the AV-8B Harrier. It has a home in MCAS Cherry Point, NC which I find my way to every time they host an airshow. :) At the same time, I will support any version which offers the path of least resistance and faster turnaround. :thumbup:

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

I would vote for either if the option was there, whatever you guys can do the best job on, I want that one :)

Same here!

regards Ganesh

She: "Your orders from ED have reached a total amount of $871,88 and your hardware expenses are countless..."
Me: "I can´t invest my money much better until i wait for Germanys Next Top Model": The
Bo-105 PAH1A1

+ Vulkan & continuous work on multithread & VR optimization!

Asus Z490E - 10900k@5,3GHz - 64GB 3600 DDR4 - 4090FE - Reverb G2 - MFG Crosswinds +DamperMod - Selfmade TableMounts - Centered VirPil T-50 Base with 20cm Extension - TM Warthog & Hornet Grip - TM Throttle +SlewMod - Pimped MSFFB2 for Huey - JetSeat SE on a sawn out office Chair - PointCTRL

AV-8B here, but best choice would be AV-8B Harrier II Plus.

Bye

Phant

Ah yes, it was the AV-8B+ I meant as well.

Also just as an aside, the ability to mount a gun is actually considered extremely important by the USMC during CAS, and the USMC Harriers have often provided valuable support with the gun. Infact the Marines often prefer a gun run rather than a bomb run, which is one of the reasons the A-10 is so beloved.

Voted for the GR7/9

Being ex-RAF there was no competition. The GR will always be preferred by Brits, the AV8 by Americans. Not that we are the majority but that's what will likely come of it. The AV8 has always been the Marines Harrier.

However any Harrier will rock, be it Marine, RAF or Navy, as long as justice is done to the aircraft.

Will start saving now for it :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The man who never made a mistake never made nothing!