Difference between GBU-10 and GBU-24 in DCS?

MobiSev

Title. In DCS what's the difference between the two bombs. Aren't they both based off the Mk. 84?
They are both MK-84 but GBU-10 is a Paveway II and the -24 is a Paveway III. Different find and guidance kits and the -24 can glide farther.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Reminds me what I was thinking lately, shouldn't the older modules get updated for their weapons options too like A-10C, if they're using it in the current edition aircraft then we should be allowed to use it too ... UNLESS there's a real technical thing preventing the older editions in real life from using new edition weapons? It's not a slam dunk then IMO, opens up the question how strict should the timeline simulation be, so for example like with F-16 which picks the 2007 timeline.

Or maybe the use of the timeline incompatible weapons could be disallowed in campaign and MP and allowed in quickplay and custom missions. Could be a map options to, settings, overridable per-map like other stuff.

EDIT: I'm saying that based on the fact I don't think I ever saw GBU-24 for A10-C ... I should double check now ...

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

The -24's shape in DCS makes me suppose that it's the model based on the BLU-109 penetrator, not the Mk-84 general purpose bomb. Which makes it the weapon of choice to attack bunkers, armored hangars in airbases, etc.

Anyway, the -24 doesn't work properly. It doesn't track the laser spot. And there's no timeline about that getting fixed. So why was it implemented ? Probably because why not... https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4035688&postcount=21

• Like 1

cjladd11 said:
They are both MK-84 but GBU-10 is a Paveway II and the -24 is a Paveway III. Different find and guidance kits and the -24 can glide farther.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

You are correct. But to take it one step further, both the GBU-10 and the GBU-24 can be built on either a MK-84 or BLU-109 bomb body. The "GBU" designation is more to do with the guidance kit and the fins than the bomb part itself. Sort of. It can definitely get confusing. 🙂

As you said, the GBU-10 is a PWII with the old "bang bang" guidance kit used on a GBU-12/16. The GBU-24 (Paveway III) is a whole different animal and was designed to overcome the shortcomings of the PWII. It uses proportional guidance (along with bigger fins) to preserve energy for better range and better penetration. PWIII has different modes that can be set during pre-flight based on what profile you want it to fly to achieve your desired target effects.

Edited by Notso
  • Like 1

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB