R-27ET

colubridae

Not hard to defeat if you can see it. You can out turn it or out run it but you have to see it first. Throws off a bunch of smoke but that takes a little getting used to, it coasts in for the kill so you kinda have to extrapolate. I usually put it on the beam, pop it out of gate, flare, count to four and pull hard. So. Don't be staring at your radar display, look outside.

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Problem with ET is most of the time you're not aware of it is coming at you, so having good SA is mandatory. The missile itself not hard to defeat, as said above once you can spot the smoke just throttle to idle and pop flare 3-5 times should be enough and laugh at the shooter lol.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

You need to kill the pilot first.

(If it was a 27 you then do a hurried return to base to rearm through the valleys monitoring you 6 constantly because these days chances are there'll be a 14 who sensed the bloodshed in the pond and is coming after you bigly, better even, RTB your hasty retreat routing yourself through the valleys via a fresh and still fully armed 18/15 you spotted, which then has the 14 in the face)

Edited by majapahit

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

You need to kill the pilot first.

(If it was a 27 you then do a hurried return to base to rearm through the valleys monitoring you 6 constantly because these days chances are there'll be a 14 who sensed the bloodshed in the pond and is coming after you bigly, better even, RTB your hasty retreat routing yourself through the valleys via a fresh and still fully armed 18/15 you spotted, which then has the 14 in the face)

And then an F18 shoots you down 10 miles from base.

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

And then an F18 shoots you down 10 miles from base.
That is actually happened to me. After having 4 streak kills then ended up getting shot down by friendly Hornet but not at 10 miles of the base tho lol. Life is not without the sense of ironi.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

• 11 months later...

Haha this is how far we already came... ET tracking through Syria map mountain, pulling 10.1G just before hitting me... Lock-on-after-launch capability now??

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Haha this is how far we already came... ET tracking through Syria map mountain, pulling 10.1G just before hitting me... Lock-on-after-launch capability now??

any prove that ET can't do this in real life ? :harhar:

[100☭] holimoli #13, 100-й КИАП

Techincally they could develop tech to predict where a target would go based on previous data and just make the missile track that prediction point and hope the target pops out and then reacquire lock, but I don't know enough about this topic, if it really exists in practice.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Ok so let's get all other DCS A2A missiles behave the same, there's no proof they can't do that! ^^ -.-

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Actually no, I just heard that DCS R-27T/ET are LOAL capable. Yes, I am also surprised.

Based to my testing since the last quick fix/update before CFD update comes, easiest way to avoid R-27T is to turn away so that it is required to chase you from 8'clock to 4'clock position. The missile is incapable for a proportional navigation and it will with start pulling 10-11 G (capability to pull well over 30 G) behind you without you doing any maneuvers and it will miss you. Launch it from the forward hemisphere and it has proper navigation at you with just couple G's.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

It is still questionable that what guidance methods R-27T/ET seeker really has, but to say about your video, it is amazing how the R-27 did pull a very nice terrain avoidance maneuver at the end before it dived on you....

The DCS ET had LOAL, IRL I have yet to see any evidence confirming it has. Just from one source:

http://eng.ktrv.ru/production/military_production/air-to-air_missiles/r-27t1_-_r-27et1.html

"The missile guidance system employs an updated proportional navigation method with the target lock-on accomplished on the suspension under the carrier."

Edited by dundun92

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

As for evading ETs the main issue is SA. If you know its coming just chop throttle and ~5 flares in quick sequence will do the trick. If you keep good SA ETs really arent that dangerous dont see what so many people are complaining about.

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

The DCS ET had LOAL, IRL I have yet to see any evidence confirming it has. Just from one source:

http://eng.ktrv.ru/production/military_production/air-to-air_missiles/r-27t1_-_r-27et1.html

"The missile guidance system employs an updated proportional navigation method with the target lock-on accomplished on the suspension under the carrier."

The Su-27SK manual states that you can launch the T/ET without lock just by launching it to predicted point. So the seeker would perform search pattern and lock on the first dominant target it can find. It is similar to MADDOG. Very little is known for the seeker functions and its autopilot and many other features.

LOAL would be that you can launch the missile without target designation, and then later mid-flight you could tell the missile "that target over there" and missile would start searching to find what you are pointing at.

Like many laser guided weapons are LOAL, and some are LOBL.

Not having a target at launch and acquiring it post launch is different (something the ET is not capable of) to having a lock from the moment of launch, but getting heat sources confused on the way to the target. Missile doesn't loose track, it just starts tracking something else

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

The flanker had line of sight for a moment right before the launch, this is enough to fire the missile. The lock was probably lost mid launch sequence, this happens more often than you'd think. You did not change your course at all and the missile is doing 1 g for considerable time before it saw you past the ridge and started pulling.

Looks like an unfortunate case of "flew right into it". Impossible to tell from the video since you picked a poor point of view to judge missile behavior, but the missile was probably flying straight all the way until you popped out in front of it's seeker.

Im assuming that was a multiplayer playback? Do we know who calculates the missile? The shooter? All clients? The server? And if its a dedicated server, does it have the terrain collision? And what was the latency? If its the shooter that handles the missile, where were you in his world at the time when the missile dives after you? Free line of sight? Goes for server handles missile too. Seen ground units snap in position when getting hit? Does that mean they were some where else and server corrected it? Followed other players bombs down? They rarely hit anything in your end, while they have a hit on the shooters side.

So many unknowns in judging missile behavior in a multiplayer environment.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

The DCS ET had LOAL,

You mean has, sir, not had.

You did not change your course at all

That, sir, is plain wrong. I A) descended a bit and B) turned left a bit, so missile would pass me in front of me and above me if it wouldn't have changed course.

Yes, seems ED added LOAL capability to -27ET recently (to -27T possibly aswell) without even telling us in their patch changelogs. Everyone will find out eventually, but this isn't good communication between a developer and their customers.