PointCTRL - Finger Mounted VR Controller

That is normal...

thanks buddy!

I've things all hooked up now... gonna have some fun shaking this thing down over the weekend! :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Get ready for a game changing, pardon the pun, experience! Don't overthink the calibration procedures, many do. You have waited and now its here! It is an amazing thing!

i7-7700K, 32GB DDR4, 525GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, Liquid Cooling, Win 10, Warthog HOTAS, TPR Pedals, HP Reverb, Oculus Rift with Touch, Jetseat and bass shakers, PointCTRL, and Scale F-14B Cockpit

Update: Hey Guys, It always seems that something is delaying things, and its usually my fault. This time is no exception.

I ordered the wrong USB cables and ended up with Apple cables. I was supposed to have a new shipment in on this past Wednesday, but they are still in the next state over. I hope to have them on Monday.

I've contacted those that had already paid, but I wanted to let the 131 to 150 group know what the delay is in getting your invoices. I don't like to keep anyone's money longer than I have too, so I will be sending the invoices as soon as the USB cables come in.

Thanks again for your continued patience.

Miles

Now shipping up to website Pre-Order Form date 2022/06/01

Pre-Order  Form Submission https://pointctrl.com/preorder-form/

PointCTRL Support Discord https://discord.gg/jH5FktJ

PintCTRL Website https://pointctrl.com/

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

Thank you for the update Miles :thumbup:

I must admit I was starting to get worried why I didn't receive an invoice mail :cry: :P

I'm soo much looking forward to this

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Received my PC earlier this week, and finally had a chance this weekend for a shakedown.

Took me three attempts to get what I felt was a good baseline calibration, but I don't consider this an issue. Just me fine tuning and learning the calibration feature. (Later down the road, once I'm more familiar with PC, I'll then complete the Edge calibration).

Post calibration, I went right to the Turkey and no problem at all using PC with the ramp start. Went airborne, was able to setup for AA and intercept an inbound bomber, (and took it out). All the while using PC.

Miles, this little devil is awesome! thank you for developing PointCTRL.

WOOT!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Its well and truly awesome. Comfortable, intuitive and once set up, it just works. The immersion is very much improved by it. Almost as good as having button panels set up for every machine in the hangar!

Where setting up a hornet for a flight, or fencing in was a bit of a chore, with this it feels very much like a organic part of the flight. I love how I no longer need to reach over to the mouse for it.

This is also the smallest controller I own, so easily stowed or taken out. Very elegantly engineered!

Edited by schurem

I5 9600KF, 32GB, 3080ti, G2, PointCTRL

Any updates on shipping Miles?

The correct USB cables came in late today, Last weeks orders are finally packed and ready to ship in the morning.

Thanks for your patience. This will teach me to more closely inspect items when they come in, so I wont get surprised like this again.

Miles

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

Hola,

This thread is a bit long, and I'm not sure how/what to search to help answer. So I figured to post this.

First and foremost, when I have PointCTRL configured, (the base calibration), all is well! I love it.

What is weird is this. I've gone through the base calibration a few times. All is well with my FCU's and pointers, and being able to click away just fine, right after I finish that calibration session.

It's only when I step away for a day or two that I encounter this. I'll fire up OTT, turn on the FCU's, validate that I get a green light with the FCU and the HMS, start up Oculus (running it with homeless), Voice attack, then DCS.

It seems at this point all of my calibration settings are shifted to the right. The cursors, etc.. My left FCU doesn't track fully to the left side. Everything seems to be shifted to the right. So I'll go back and perform the base calibration, (no edge). Once complete, then my left and right FCU's are back on target.

So it's a little frustrating that after a base calibration session, it doesn't appear to keep the orientation I've set, (once I step away and power down the computer). Yes, I do keep the USB and all plugged in for PointCTRL. When I do, the HMS has both a green and red light on (while the compute is off).

So is there a proper startup session or sequence I need to follow? OTT, Power on the FCU's, check that they track, bring up Oculus, and then Voice attack. Start DCS ???

Guidance appreciated.

TIA,

-Jav

Edited by javelina1

Hola,

This thread is a bit long, and I'm not sure how/what to search to help answer. So I figured to post this.

First and foremost, when I have PointCTRL configured, (the base calibration), all is well! I love it.

What is weird is this. I've gone through the base calibration a few times. All is well with my FCU's and pointers, and being able to click away just fine, right after I finish that calibration session.

It's only when I step away for a day or two that I encounter this. I'll fire up OTT, turn on the FCU's, validate that I get a green light with the FCU and the HMS, start up Oculus (running it with homeless), Voice attack, then DCS.

It seems at this point all of my calibration settings are shifted to the right. The cursors, etc.. My left FCU doesn't track fully to the left side. Everything seems to be shifted to the right. So I'll go back and perform the base calibration, (no edge). Once complete, then my left and right FCU's are back on target.

So it's a little frustrating that after a base calibration session, it doesn't appear to keep the orientation I've set, (once I step away and power down the computer). Yes, I do keep the USB and all plugged in for PointCTRL. When I do, the HMS has both a green and red light on (while the compute is off).

So is there a proper startup session or sequence I need to follow? OTT, Power on the FCU's, check that they track, bring up Oculus, and then Voice attack. Start DCS ???

Guidance appreciated.

TIA,

-Jav

Hey Jav,

This is a new one, sorry to hear your havining issues, but we will get it sorted. For starters, PointCTRL stores all calibrations and settings internally on non volatile memory, so there is no need to keep it on.

The order of power up or launching programs should not matter because PointCTRL is just recognized as a HID compliant mouse.

You can press the white reset button on the HMS at any time and PointCTRL will reboot in about 2 seconds without effecting the saved calibrations or settings.

Now on to your problem. It sounds like an issue between Full Screen (alt enter) and windowed mode. Are you using the same mode each time? You can calibrate for either, but you have to use whichever mode you are calibrated for, or it will shift the cursor left or right.

If your calibration settings are shifted right, it sounds like you calibrated in windowed mode and when you came back to fly you put it in full screen mode.

Its not clear in the crappy instructions. I have to stop saying I am going to work on them and just do it.

This may not be your problem, let me know if its not.

Also, you should join the PointCTRL discord in my sig that Clutter and Deano set up. I usually log into the voice channel when I am working, and you only have to yell my name and I should hear you. There is a bunch of guys like Deano that jump in and help pretty quick.

Miles

Edited by MilesD

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

Hey Jav,

This is a new one, sorry to hear your havining issues, but we will get it sorted. For starters, PointCTRL stores all calibrations and settings internally on non volatile memory, so there is no need to keep it on.

The order of power up or launching programs should not matter because PointCTRL is just recognized as a HID compliant mouse.

You can press the white reset button on the HMS at any time and PointCTRL will reboot in about 2 seconds without effecting the saved calibrations or settings.

Now on to your problem. It sounds like an issue between Full Screen (alt enter) and windowed mode. Are you using the same mode each time? You can calibrate for either, but you have to use whichever mode you are calibrated for, or it will shift the cursor left or right.

If your calibration settings are shifted right, it sounds like you calibrated in windowed mode and when you came back to fly you put it in full screen mode.

Its not clear in the crappy instructions. I have to stop saying I am going to work on them and just do it.

This may not be your problem, let me know if its not.

Also, you should join the PointCTRL discord in my sig that Clutter and Deano set up. I usually log into the voice channel when I am working, and you only have to yell my name and I should hear you. There is a bunch of guys like Deano that jump in and help pretty quick.

Miles

Thanks Miles! I appreciate the additional info. I did calibrate in the window mode, and I do fly in full screen. (Only because I believe the full screen helps with the Rift performance).

Later tonight, after the grand-kids nod off, I'll do the calibration in full screen, etc, and then report back.

No worries buddy! I love this device, and you're doing Yeoman work here. Much appreciated!

thx,

-Jav

All invoices for up to 150 are out, If you have not received yours please email Carol at orders@pointctrl.com.

Now serving up to 175 Just follow the format in the first post.

Thanks,

Miles

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

Hi Miles,

really intrigued about the PointCTRL, might get back to you with an order over the coming weeks.

I understand some work is in progress for a diffusion dome, or something to that extent, to improve the tracking a bit. Should I hold on for these items to be finalized? Maybe there are other items you're working on where you would suggest to a potential new customer to hold on for a few moments?

Great work on this!

Hi Miles,

really intrigued about the PointCTRL, might get back to you with an order over the coming weeks.

I understand some work is in progress for a diffusion dome, or something to that extent, to improve the tracking a bit. Should I hold on for these items to be finalized? Maybe there are other items you're working on where you would suggest to a potential new customer to hold on for a few moments?

Great work on this!

Hi if you are interested, let me know and I will put you on the list of those wanting to purchase. You should also, if you haven't already head over to the PointCTRL Discord link below.

Hi if you are interested, let me know and I will put you on the list of those wanting to purchase. You should also, if you haven't already head over to the PointCTRL Discord link below.

Thanks, checked out discord, noticed the long list. Please add me to it! I'll follow up there. Thanks for the reply!

Quick questions.

1. When doing the calibrations, is it right or left agnostic? In particular the edge calibration?

2. If I re-do a calibration does it clear the existing calibration prior to doing the new one (in particular edge calibration?)

3. Can the rate of button 3 (twist) be adjusted?

I've got it 'ish dialed in, but its still not as precise as I want it to be. I also have the rather annoying issue that I can't fully extend my hand as I would IRL when pointing down because I hit my desk.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Quick questions.

1. When doing the calibrations, is it right or left agnostic? In particular the edge calibration?

2. If I re-do a calibration does it clear the existing calibration prior to doing the new one (in particular edge calibration?)

3. Can the rate of button 3 (twist) be adjusted?

I've got it 'ish dialed in, but its still not as precise as I want it to be. I also have the rather annoying issue that I can't fully extend my hand as I would IRL when pointing down because I hit my desk.

Hey Harlikwin,

Great questions,

1) The HMS is agnostic to which IRLED it is tracking. It applies the Left and Right edge calibration symmetrically throughout your horizontal field of view.

That being said I use the right hand FCU and MFD for right edge calibration, and my left hand FCU and MFD for left edge calibration. My reasoning is I am more likely to be operating the FCUc on the outboard edges of my field of view. This is all really splitting hairs though.

Whats probably more important is to calibrate the FCUs at the distance where you feel you will be operating them most of the time. Most people seem to select one item in the center of the cockpit and calibrate from there.

The upper and lower half's of the screen are edge calibrated independently because of the asymmetric angles of the FCU to the HMS proportional to raising and lowering your arms. Which is why there is only one horizontal procedure and two vertical procedures.

2) The old calibration is not replaced until the final step of any calibration, where the cursor moves upward signifying the end of the procedure.

3) The mouse wheel rate is changed in the new firmware update that should be out soon. It has a slower linear rate increase over time vs the current exponential increase when button three is held. I can change it to what ever everyone feels is best. When you are close you can rapidly click button three, rather than holding, this works well for comms channels.

The twist just happens to kinda work if you pivot from your wrist in a certain way, its not very reliable. It really is designed to work by moving your hand up or down, just like you would move the mouse.

I hope all that helps a little,

Miles

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

Hi Miles,

Great work on this!

Hi Cartok,

I am always updating things, but its mostly in the firmware at this point, which is a downloadable update. I did just finish a slight redesign of the FCUs. I am having mixed results with the difusors and have experienced better cursor resolution results with new HMS sensor settings that will be in the next firmware update. PointCTRL will always get better, I just don't know how fast, and as long as there is interest I will keep improving it.

When to order? I can only objectively say that it will get better the longer you wait.

Thanks for asking,

My number is now in the range. Is there anything I need to do. I have absolutely no problem doing the paperwork now. The way I look at it one more thing to check off on my to do list.

Hi James,

Just follow the ordering instructions in the first post of this thread, and be sure to put "Order - jameslockridge #171" in the subject line.

Thanks for your patience,

Miles

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

For those interested Miles has written a firmware update for me at my request to try out. It changes the button 3 button (mouse wheel) for button 1 (left mouse click)

I asked for this as when my arm & hand is stretched reaching for the DDI buttons my thumb sits naturally over button 3. So now for me, button 1 (furthest away) is my wheel.

2 (middle) is still the right mouse button. 3 (nearest) is the left mouse button.

After firmware install, I did not have to set up as it worked out the box for me. Check the firmware update tab on the PointCTRL Discord.

PointCTRL_Standard.pdf

PointCTRL-Alternative.pdf

Hey Harlikwin,

Great questions,

1) The HMS is agnostic to which IRLED it is tracking. It applies the Left and Right edge calibration symmetrically throughout your horizontal field of view.

That being said I use the right hand FCU and MFD for right edge calibration, and my left hand FCU and MFD for left edge calibration. My reasoning is I am more likely to be operating the FCUc on the outboard edges of my field of view. This is all really splitting hairs though.

Whats probably more important is to calibrate the FCUs at the distance where you feel you will be operating them most of the time. Most people seem to select one item in the center of the cockpit and calibrate from there.

The upper and lower half's of the screen are edge calibrated independently because of the asymmetric angles of the FCU to the HMS proportional to raising and lowering your arms. Which is why there is only one horizontal procedure and two vertical procedures.

2) The old calibration is not replaced until the final step of any calibration, where the cursor moves upward signifying the end of the procedure.

3) The mouse wheel rate is changed in the new firmware update that should be out soon. It has a slower linear rate increase over time vs the current exponential increase when button three is held. I can change it to what ever everyone feels is best. When you are close you can rapidly click button three, rather than holding, this works well for comms channels.

The twist just happens to kinda work if you pivot from your wrist in a certain way, its not very reliable. It really is designed to work by moving your hand up or down, just like you would move the mouse.

I hope all that helps a little,

Miles

Thanks Miles!

I'm that better idot your engineering professors warned you about :)

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Thanks Miles!

I'm that better idot your engineering professors warned you about :)

Unfortunately, I am not a formally educated engineer, this stuff would be much easier if I was.

Life part 1, was U.S. Army 18B/Z. I didn't really start college until a few years ago at 54. While I wouldn't trade my time in SF for anything, I do wish I went to college after high school.

With a lifetime of hands on experience fixing and building everything from race cars to weapons systems, I now kind of found my niche in physics, and will probably end up as a physics professor, for life part 2.

Sorry, didn't mean to overshare

Miles

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

:pilotfly:

... ah yes, and Los's life "Part 2" after being a 18Z also, is a Pilot and flight instructor, sorry Los, couldn't resist adding that pic of you.

Edit: I have to say Los, being upside down or in negative G's really takes some mileage off your looks, and adds some additional Bad Assery.

Los1.thumb.jpg.2bc3e60eb9e997a2fd2c878cc309fc4b.jpg

Edited by MilesD

PointCTRLsmall.jpg