Let's talk the P-51 in combat in DCS - Page 14 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-13-2019, 03:52 AM   #131
Snapage

I know that running low RPM compared to manifold pressure is bad. I have never said that you should run at 2700RPM with 61" but you could before to get more speed. But now that you cant the P51D is no longer the fastest on the deck especially with its broken WEP.

The FW190D9 with its recently fixed MW50 system is the fastest on the deck.
Snapage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 07:00 AM   #132
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapage View Post
you all missed my point, my point is that the FW190D9 is the fastest on the deck now because you cant run the P51D at 67" with 2700RPM any more.

I would like to mention that it is frustrating when ED is quick to make changes that negatively affect the P51Ds performance while leaving the WEP in its current broken state.

So we just end up with a broken underperforming P51D.
Have you checked current state of WEP ?? maby something changed recently, i mean proper wep 67' 3000rpm.
When i switched my tactics from dogfight to boom-zoom i hardly need anything more that 61".
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:22 AM   #133
Snapage

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafspee View Post
Have you checked current state of WEP ?? maby something changed recently, i mean proper wep 67' 3000rpm.
When i switched my tactics from dogfight to boom-zoom i hardly need anything more that 61".

Yes I have checked it lately, its still broken unfortunately.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:59 AM   #134
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapage View Post
Yes I have checked it lately, its still broken unfortunately.
Old 09-13-2019, 12:19 PM   #135
msalama
Veteran

Quote:
you should run at 2700RPM with 61" but you could before
So what if it was wrong before and has now been corrected? Any grounds for complaining then?

They've said they're working on a new cooling model for all DCS piston engines, so I'd just wait for a bit still if I were you. Not saying you couldn't have run a RL Merlin on 2700RPM/61" though, but that's something I really don't know. And if you could, for how long?
Old 09-13-2019, 02:07 PM   #136
grafspee

I think that running high boost at low rpm will produce excessive torque which may damage crank shaft connecting rods and bearings.
Im not so sure that it will lead to detonations, at higher rpm engine will run hotter then at low rpm(more fuel burned in given time).
Things which will course detonations is excessive oil presence in combustion chamber for example.
Given this feature max power setting had to be set with pretty big safety margin to avoid common engines death with long flight hours.
Problem is that crank case and crank shaft etc can handle some peak torque, taking in to account that this is aerial engine this torque limit maybe actual quite close to operational torque because weight is very important.
IT probably simply cant handle enormous torque created by 67' boost at low rpm.

Excesive fill of combustion chamber may lead to detonations too, so over boost will lead to detonations.
So both this things will kill engine even quicker.

Last edited by grafspee; 09-13-2019 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:04 PM   #137
grafspee

It looks like someone is getting 75' p-51
Old 09-13-2019, 08:17 PM   #138
CYLON

Quote:
It looks like someone is getting 75' p-51
I see what you did there. It's the uh.. other P-51 at the.. uh.. other place lol.
Old 09-14-2019, 03:43 PM   #139
rtyfgv

Quote:
Take a note that if you fly high, even if you break wire stop on throttle it will not guarantee 67', i tested it too if you back up throttle to 65' damage no longer appeare and you can fly for much longer, looks like 67' is or was magical about this engine damage
Yep ... I've always noticed that ...

I don't use 2700 rpm @ 67 sooner or later I cook the engine ... I use 3000 rpm .... and this is what I do : https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...45&postcount=7 and still works.
if I am over the deck and I my speed is bellow 400 mph ... no way I cannot fly away

Trimming your plane constantly is important as much as closing the coolant rad. Ball and stick should be perfect align and you have to fly straight It is important that you pay attention to the coolant temperature. Too close and you are going to cook your engine, not so close and you are going to be caught. The red line on the gauge tells where the needle should be exactly.
Lctrl-a(close) Lalt-a(open) control the coolant rad
It's a thin line between cowardice and cleverness.

Last edited by rtyfgv; 09-14-2019 at 03:49 PM.
rtyfgv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 11:42 PM   #140
Snapage

Yeah, but the FW190D9 with MW50 is faster. on deck.