Auto Air Scoop Not Effective - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-10-2019, 08:39 AM   #11
whaaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafspee View Post
What do you mean by "temps go crazy" ?? oil goes above 90 and coolant above 121 ? maby you are closing them not setting auto
I fly on auto all the time i have no problem with temps.
oil is not much of problem but when i fly 500feet 250knots 2700RPM 46Hg auto mode water temp goes until the end of the gauge. on NTTR and Gulf at least. on Caucasus its a bit less, but still beyond the redline. when open manually no problem.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:05 AM   #12
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaaw View Post
oil is not much of problem but when i fly 500feet 250knots 2700RPM 46Hg auto mode water temp goes until the end of the gauge. on NTTR and Gulf at least. on Caucasus its a bit less, but still beyond the redline. when open manually no problem.
Are you sure that you are setting auto position not closing radiator completely ??
Switches goes up for auto
NTTR and Gulf has higher default air temps.
I tested p-51 some time ago in very hot, i set 40c temp it still managed temps but they were much higher than in colder weather.
I will test it again maby something changed.

Last edited by grafspee; 09-10-2019 at 09:11 AM.
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:18 AM   #13
whaaw

Quote:
Are you sure that you are setting auto position not closing radiator completely ??
im sure. also with manual full open cooling you can fly 300knot 500feet 2900rpm 55hg forever try this in automode, engines explode after 1min max XD
Old 09-10-2019, 11:00 AM   #14
slickdevel

I read a document, P-51 repair manual maybe, from WW2 indicating complete engine rebuild every 700 hours, that seems reasonable. Heads removed more often for valve work probably as well as other work as needed. Another(several) documents seemed to state that engine types were certified as passing a 7 1/2 hour War Emergency Requirement test which I take it was run at ""war emergency".

We had a P-51 in the area last weekend, I should have gone to have a chat.

Quote:
Dont compare this to planes flown during ww2, now p-51 most likely are tweaked for longest engine life.
And take note that Kermit t/o at 55" and as soon he is airbron he drops to 46" 2700 then he drops to 2400rpm with about 30" boost.
slickdevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:27 PM   #15
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdevel View Post
I read a document, P-51 repair manual maybe, from WW2 indicating complete engine rebuild every 700 hours, that seems reasonable. Heads removed more often for valve work probably as well as other work as needed. Another(several) documents seemed to state that engine types were certified as passing a 7 1/2 hour War Emergency Requirement test which I take it was run at ""war emergency".

We had a P-51 in the area last weekend, I should have gone to have a chat.
I talk about it, for quite time, that p-51's engine in dcs is way too fregile, often it get wacked after single use of wep
Old 09-10-2019, 07:34 PM   #16
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaaw View Post
i just tested p-51 in persian gulf set temp 41.3 celcius(this is max temp what you can set, btw this is crazy hot to have 41.3 air temp).
50' is max t/o power if you want to be below 121 on coolant.
I took off as alwayes with coolant wide open/oil auto
In my case auto switch for oil and coolant, opened both doors wide open.
i was able to fly 61' 3000 rpm 200ft above sea level, i had to switch for filter in operation becouse carb inlet temp was above redline.
My oil temp and coolant was within limits and when i droped power to 46' 2700 rpm my coolant went in to green zone my oil temp droped from 90 to 85
I tried to open manually oil and coolant but Auto mode alredy had them open fully.
When i droped to 36' 2400rpm coolant doors were almost closed completely but oil doors remained wide open. All of this in AUTO mode.
i assume that your setup is messign something like in you cannopy open/close situation or you are too slow so radiators cant keep up, not becouse auto mode is bad.
In this hot conditions like this, ater t/o you havet to gain speed as fast as possible.

Last edited by grafspee; 09-10-2019 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:42 PM   #17
Magic Zach

Quote:
i had to switch for filter in operation becouse carb inlet temp was above redline.
Did you mistyped “from” as “for”?
Old 09-10-2019, 07:43 PM   #18
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Zach View Post
Did you mistyped “from” as “for”?
nop, with ram air engaged my carb inlet temp was too high
Old 09-12-2019, 03:11 AM   #19
Snapage

As far as I know the auto radiators are working at the moment. They did not work in the past but they are working now. The only thing you need to do is Open water radiator while you are on the ground and during takeoff. Set water to auto once you are in the air.
Snapage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:23 AM   #20
Magic Zach

Quote:
nop, with ram air engaged my carb inlet temp was too high
Even with a high ambient temperature, drawing from the outside would certainly not be as hot as drawing air from the engine compartment.