SA-5 : Any updates?

nighthawk2174

to be honest i wish they would stop doing such highly detailed texture models.

look at the truck they teased in the weekly update a while ago. I mean, no kidding really pretty, perfectly modeled seams in the tarp over the back, high res license plate, beautiful reflection mapping and all this stuff.. none of which you will ever see even at 150ft going over the thing in a helicopter, the slowest and lowest type of thing you will ever fly by in one.

just give us a basic looking model that performs pretty close and do it inside 3 months, the game is in dire need of units and if it takes years to put in a single SAM system we're actually behind the event horizon.

there are going to be new SAMs coming out in real life faster than old SAMs are being added to the game, it's silly. We're still missing huge chunks of the order of battle of almost everything, guys, come on.

There's this thing named "LOD" where said good looking stuff won't even be loaded if you're not close enough. At the same time this allows for a better experience for those playing Combined Arms, or for those who enjoy creating content (pics / vids).

Still, good looking models are not going to impact the development of say a flight model or other stuff so why not have them? Implementing a new SAM or whatever other unit it's not as simple as just making a 3D model for it. ED is constantly innovating in the AI logics, systems modeling and anything else. In the meantime the graphics guy / guys can have fun with models.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005

My Rig: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD Ryzen7 2700X, G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200, EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming, Corsair HX850

S-300 have planned to update (ED was show some launcher updated in the pass).

Do you mean the model shown by Significant from several years ago or newer ED model?

Intel 5820k | Asus X-99A | Crucial 16GB | Powercolor Devil RX580 8GB | Win 10 x64 | Oculus Rift | https://gallery.ksotov.co.uk

Patiently waiting for: DCS: Panavia Tornado, DCS: SA-2 Guideline, DCS: SA-3 Goa, DCS: S-300 Grumble

Because the above mentioned. The game play will be OP and the Bluefor fighters will be forced to low level altitude approaches and this is hard task when you add Redfor units for CAP this SAM area.

A couple of JSOWs from 35k ft and 60 miles away deal with SA-10s quite effectively. Fighter cap or. It.

It has been stated many times the SA-5 is coming after other priorities.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Except that the sa10 can and will shoot down the jsow.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I don’t mind waiting :) But it is frustrating to get hyped up over something that seems to go in and out of development for an extended period of time. Just like the WWII damage model. Or the new Kutznetsov. Or SCUD.

It would be better to give estimated release windows and show weekly progress in in the newsletters. If no work has been done on the particular project that is fine too. At least people know what is going on and what projects are getting attention at the moment.

Kind of agree with earlier posters who would opt for more simplified models. The stuff we're getting looks incredible but if it's taking six months to build a new model of a truck, we can forget about badly needed new units being added to the sim. Maybe this is something the community can eventually help out with.

The thing is those models are already complete at the very least a hair-thin line away from being complete, it's not the model that is taking up so much time - the models are already basically complete if not completed, you can look at and inspect them already in the model viewer, the SCUD looked as though it was visually complete ages ago. I'm certain it's something else that's causing the delay and not the 3D model.

I mean a lot of weapons were completely overhauled and drastically improved ((all Mk80 series, all GBUs, all Sparrows and all AMRAAMs as well as a few others) over literally 1-2 update cycles, these models are pretty much perfect and all have animated control surfaces (well, except for the JDAMs for some reason) so I think it's definitely something else which is taking the most amount of time (if you look in the ModelViewer you can see that the model for the AGM-84H, ATFLIR (ASQ-228), AGM-62, Mk40 Destructor all already there, just waiting to be implemented). I have incredibly limited experience with 3D modelling, but I can't imagine it taking much more than a week at the very most to make a new 3D model for something like a launcher or a missile including animation, I imagine the bulk of it can be done in a single day providing adequate documentation, measurements etc.

It's almost certainly going to be the FDM, guidance and AI that's taking the most amount of time as well as other things on EDs long list (don't forget they are a small team).

For me, I also use CA directly, and I make use of the F6, F7, F9 and Ctrl+F11 cameras a lot and I definitely notice the difference in graphics without taking any performance hit. I care about it enough that I actually stay away from lower quality units.

Just as a side note you can find the Model viewer in the base installation folder of DCS in the bin folder under ModelViewer2.exe, most of the models including in the base game (apart from player aircraft) can be found under Bazar -> World -> Shapes and is what Silver_Dragon uses in his videos.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Except that the sa10 can and will shoot down the jsow.

Sometimes...yes...most of the time...no. Just dropped 4 from max range using TGP. One of each radar and the command vehicle...site shot at ME not the JSOWs.

AMMV...

That being said it's all about tactics. To simply believe the S-300 is invincible is silly.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

That being said it's all about tactics. To simply believe the S-300 is invincible is silly.

Don’t take wrong the idea for IRL behavior will be the same as DCS do. You are facing a SAM AI in automatic mode in DCS. That mean they will launch missiles as a kid throws stones to a river.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sometimes...yes...most of the time...no. Just dropped 4 from max range using TGP. One of each radar and the command vehicle...site shot at ME not the JSOWs.

AMMV...

I don't think the SA10 is invincible. Then again as portrayed in DCS I doubt they all happily cluster around the main radar waiting for me to bomb the crap out of them either.

I've seen it both ways, but in general I'd say the DCS double digit sams will shoot down JSOW's quite often, especially if released far away.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Interesting find, I release from max range while at 30000 feet and not a single shot towards JSOWs, two aimed at me though. S300 set to excellent level.

I concur Sierra99.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

I actually think its interesting that the SA10 does engage them at rather longer ranges from what I've seen, and given that they are supposed to be "stealthy" I wonder how realistic it is. Of course most SA10 sites I've attacked online also have point defense in terms of having SA15's, SA11, and SA19 nearby as well, so I may be confusing which ones are actually shooting the JSOW.

• 6 months later...

Yeah, I'm interested too, we currently have the 3D model for the missile (incl. boosters etc) all animated.

No RADARs though, or any other of it's battery components...

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 2 months later...

Yea I'm still interested as well.

Part of me is hoping the SA-5 will be part of ED trying to model a proper IADS and maybe even Lazur?

But the Syria map got me thinking about the SA-5 again.

The Scud did finally make its way into the game didn't it?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

Yea I'm still interested as well.

Part of me is hoping the SA-5 will be part of ED trying to model a proper IADS and maybe even Lazur?

But the Syria map got me thinking about the SA-5 again.

The Scud did finally make its way into the game didn't it?

IDK, Lazur was basically a "symbolic" GCI system from what I can tell, with like 50 different commands. What ED would have to do is build some sort of AI GCI that wasn't absolutely stupid. I'm not saying they can't do this. But Lazur is not something like link16 or modern data links that gives you SA. The soviet GCI basically had the SA, and directed/coordinated fighters via that link. Not a lot of "fighter bro" fun with that.

At a guess an intercept would look something like, Fly bearing X, alt Y. Lil while later, Turn on your missiles. Target at bearing XYZ range AB, Turn on your radar. Lock him up. Shoot now. Evade bearing XYZ. With a human GCI this could work well, but people would have to be interested in doing it in the first place, which in the case of MP I doubt.

IDK, Lazur was basically a "symbolic" GCI system from what I can tell, with like 50 different commands. What ED would have to do is build some sort of AI GCI that wasn't absolutely stupid. I'm not saying they can't do this. But Lazur is not something like link16 or modern data links that gives you SA. The soviet GCI basically had the SA, and directed/coordinated fighters via that link. Not a lot of "fighter bro" fun with that.

At a guess an intercept would look something like, Fly bearing X, alt Y. Lil while later, Turn on your missiles. Target at bearing XYZ range AB, Turn on your radar. Lock him up. Shoot now. Evade bearing XYZ. With a human GCI this could work well, but people would have to be interested in doing it in the first place, which in the case of MP I doubt.

To be precise, a GCI would guide you to a point in space from which you can turn to a specified heading and attack the bandit. That point in space may be in the front, side or rear aspect of the target, depending on many factors - although, thanks to the Mig-23's weapons, it would probably be between front and side aspects if you wanted to fire an R24.

In principle, one could code those instructions fairly easily even in a simple lua script, provided the number of targets is low. What is messy would be any subsequent changes if more than one group of bandits is present, and/or you need to either change target or evade someone. Even something as complex as Jester would have issues in dealing with that, and that's arguably the best "external help" we have in DCS.