Setting up Multiplayer on LAN

Bonz

I'd like to play DCS World over my home LAN... I log into both computers using my account. I sign into DCS using my account on both computers. Both computers are on the same Home Network. Both are connected to the internet through the same router.

1. Is it possible to: Play multiplayer over the internet from both computers at the same time on the same server? Obviously I would log into the server using two different call signs.

2. Is it possible to: Play multiplayer on my Home Network with both computers at the same time in the same game. Two different call signs here as well.

If either or both are not possible, What makes them so? What do I need to do to make it possible?

Bonz...

In that circumstance... how would l fly with my son in law in a two place aircraft or against him in two separate aircraft? Without buying aircraft for the server computer? One of us would have to use that computer to fly. Sounds like I would need a third computer to act as Server?

Bonz...

I'm still looking for an definitive answer to this question. How do two players play on the same LAN without using two accounts? Is that possible? Or how would someone join in the same aircraft using two computers over a Homegroup LAN using two accounts ... one without any aircraft and the other with the needed aircraft... Is that possible? Legal?

No, it is not possible. For two people to play together they both need to have the given aircraft(some are free after all), VS each other or in the same plane

2 computers and 2 accounts (one computer can be the host too, you don't need a powerful machine to run simple missions)

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

Bonz, I play on my LAN using two PCs. Yes, you will need to buy a key for each PC of the airframe that you want to fly. If it is a two-seater, you will both need a key. If you want to fly separate, you will each need a key for the cockpit that you want to occupy. If your son in law wants to fly the Harrier and you don't care to, only he will need a key for it. In the mission editor, you can choose to put whichever planes/helos/etc. delight you the most. To fly them, you need your own key. I hope that this helps clear up the licensing question.

To start/join a LAN game, use the Multiplayer option in the main menu and there will be LAN options.

• 1 year later...

I already own one license for the F-14.

If I would like to try out flying with my 6 year old son in the same F-14 cockpit by using 2 PCs in the same LAN: how this can be realized?

must I buy another license?

If I am forced to buy another license, do I need to buy it for another DCS-Account or can I buy it for the same account and login with the same account on both PCs?

I already own one license for the F-14.

If I would like to try out flying with my 6 year old son in the same F-14 cockpit by using 2 PCs in the same LAN: how this can be realized?

must I buy another license?

If I am forced to buy another license, do I need to buy it for another DCS-Account or can I buy it for the same account and login with the same account on both PCs?

Yes you will need to buy another license and tie that to a new account. You will also need to buy each terrain that you plan on flying in for the second account as well.

Edited by Repth

I'm now hosting folks on my own server... If I choose to fly multiplayer with a two seater aircraft... the what's been said above is true... you need to buy both another aircraft key and another terrain module if other than the Caucuses... which is free. And yes... you will need separate accounts, but those are free and comes with the Caucuses plus a few aircraft. I purchased two C-101s … good as a Trainer... Can't fly the F-14 from the back but good as a graduation present.

• 2 years later...

How great it would be, if there was possibility to register a family member, or have a significant discount for a minor? Or, how about purchasing a separate lan-party license, which would allow to share the license of your account with two computers in same local network? Other ideas?

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

If this is still the case then this really sucks. My 11 year old and I have been using my account for the last year on multiplayer server that I host. My 22 year old is in the Marines in North Carolina, he has his own account and his own modules. All three of us could play together. Now when my oldest son and I are playing on my server everything is great, until my 11 year old logs in with my account then the server crashes. It is really a shame that I've spent over $1,600 on modules and terrains with this company and now they expect me to fork over another $1,600+ dollars just so my 11 year old in my same house can play with us... smh

Edited by apmech1
correction

1 hour ago, apmech1 said:

If this is still the case then this really sucks. My 11 year old and I have been using my account for the last year on multiplayer server that I host. My 22 year old is in the Marines in North Carolina, he has his own account and his own modules. All three of us could play together. Now when my oldest son and I are playing on my server everything is great, until my 11 year old logs in with my account then the server crashes. It is really a shame that I've spent over $1,600 on modules and terrains with this company and now they expect me to fork over another $1,600+ dollars just so my 11 year old in my same house can play with us... smh

Do you expect to use one license concurrently on two different computers with two different physical persons?

It's clearly stated that it violates the license agreement. I've been playing DCS since 2016, and I've known this all along. I totally expect to purchase additional licenses for my girlfriend.

What puzzles me is that you are actually able to log into both computers, (well, log into DCS) with the same account without any warning, and that the server crashes on connect. 

I do support the wish for "family/kid/same house" license bundles though. 

If my daughter plays a Steam game on my "family" account, I'm locked out and that's perfectly reasonable. 

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that this is what the license states. But for the last year or so we have been using my DCS account on his computer and my computer. I was expecting issues when I would host a multiplayer server from my computer with my DCS account and he would login on his computer with my account as well but there wasn't. I figured maybe this was because we had the same wan IP address and that is what was allowing this. But just recently it would make the server crash. 

Since our "bonus" access stopped working, I did create a new account for him and bought him the f-18, FC3, and the P-51 for when we play online. He still uses my account when he wants to fly all the other aircraft that I own and we are not playing multi-player. 

I would love to have household / family license too.

Edited by apmech1