Re : Letter from ED

Fastpants

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the great and hard work, dreams come true. Top Eagle Dynamics!!! :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Bloody Excellent news ED - Many thanks

I just wanted to say thanks Wags for the update in today's news. Very informative. I am so looking forward to the 2.5 release as are many others.

Please thank the ED Team for their hard work, while we sometimes don't seems very grateful, this is more frustration that anything else. Excellent work on progress so far :)

Thanks again

Specter

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!!!!

Been around since 2001 with Flanker 2.0...The Storm'in Norman Days!!! What a Great Ride!!!!!

flanker_2.0_-_pc_-_cover_02786.1410987391.386.513.jpg

Thanks very much for the detailed letter explaining The business aspect of our great hobby!!! Cheers to the upcoming year :thumbup:

Patrick

mini.gif

Thank you WAGS for that information. The release of 2.5 will greatly simplify our choices and may improve Squad cohesion which has been splintered until now due to refusals to run two versions and frustration over WWII progress.

We are primarily a WWII group which falls precisely into your picture of similar players being drawn in by DCS WWII but with a limited interest, or none at all, in more modern aircraft which perhaps for us are more accurately described as 'specimen' aircraft which hold little air combat interest for the larger WWII-type air combats.

It is encouraging to learn of the independent development team for WWII, however there are long outstanding questions and complaints about aircraft imbalance and the handling characteristics of some aircraft, for example the seemingly over-difficult ground handling of the Spitfire and the very easy ground handling of the notorious Bf109. What your post does not do, and what previous responses to long standing questions on these matters did not do, is tell us factual progress on these matters. All questions have been rebuffed and sometimes quite rudely. It seems to me the WWII aircraft have also been viewed by DCS as 'specimen' aircraft with no true contemporary context for mid-1944 and cannot produce a meaningful 1944 combat scenario. At risk of some rule violation, you should know that this has forced us to vacate DCS for 'another place' where balance is more realistic and better supported on line. We all appreciate the generally high quality level of DCS but winning us back will depend very much on what ED do next and how quickly. What we really would like is a detailed factual statement on WWII aircraft fixes, attempts to produce a 1944 balance (not an exaggerated end of year balance) and indicative timescales. I imagine there are indications scattered throughout these forums but I don't see why we should have to jump around searching multiple threads for the answers when regular all-encompassing statements from ED would help.

I am a big fan of the quality of DCS's flight simulations (I do also have most jets) even the few with currently very annoying features but I am having to fly it simply as a very good flight simulator for most aircraft, not a combat simulator. Unfortunately it holds little interest for my friends as things stand.

Footnote: one of the moderators told me my arguments are understandable but my delivery is terrible. Well, no offence intended, I'm just used to having straight conversations.

• Like 1

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

Thank you for the update and explanation. I already see and feel the boost in moral and excitement around the forums! I have been a virtual aviator since I was a kid in the 80's and have flown a number of different flight sims. To me, DCS is by far the most incredible, realistic, and beautiful flight simulation ever. DCS is allowing me to live out my dream (even if just virtually) and come as close as possible to being a fighter pilot. Keep up the great work and happy flying!

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

About the official letter from ED; I'm really proud of you! Being able to be here with this awesome community is great. Being able to play this game which changed my life in many ways is very satisfying. I started playing DCS 1.1.x and seeing how DCS is nowadays, is making me proud and happy! I remember playing DCS with sweetFX to improve the visuals and I found the game pretty beautiful, but it was actually quite ugly :D But then, in 2015 ED changed everything, 1.5 was released and I was blown away by the new visuals (I still remember having so much fun with a great friend of mine during the 1st day of 1.5!). Same thing happened with DCS 2.1 and its deferred shading/PBR. Absolutely beautiful and I couldn't control myself because of the hype and excitement when Normandy was being released.

DCS is a better game, is a better sim nowadays, thanks to ED, for improving it, maintaining it and developing new technologies and modules. Quality being number one priority.

I just wanted to thank Matt and ED members for making this great sim. I'm looking forward to the Great Merge. Good luck, love you guys!

Way to go, ED! I think one of the more underrated accomplishments has been the establishment and maintenance of very high quality standards for both ED and 3rd party developed modules. As a picky consumer, I feel more and more assured that whatever module makes it through the wringer that ED forces every developer to go through will have the same level of quality as all the other modules in my hangar.

Well done.

Also, is "in the coming weeks" the same thing as "two weeks"? ;)

Shoot to Kill.

Play to Have Fun.

Such awesome news. Many thanks for the update.

Very much looking forward to reading through what I assume will be a rather lengthy summary of the key changes that we'll be getting with 2.5.

Talk about a brilliant Xmas present to us all!

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Much appreciated update ED. I really admire your business model and the thought process going into the future. It makes me feel confident with this news that ED and its partners will be around for many years to come. Keep up the outstanding work gents. And I am one of your WW2 guys that loves the history. Maybe one day a WW1 Biplane? Northern France map?

Regards

Robert

the mentioning of Vulkan has me all excited....

Even Lower CPU Overhead and significantly higher performance rendering and even better mGPU integration..

I don't know much about the field, but I hope mGPU technology will help VR as well. But it seems like the core engine is ED's own, so I hope the API support is extensive. Anything that helps VR!:thumbup:

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I haven't been around flight sims very long...I think I started flying DCS in April/May of 2014, and DCS was my first flight sim of any level. From there I was only around 8 or so months until very early 2015 before I ended up taking a 2.5 year break from DCS due to my professional career becoming very demanding of my time. I returned in August of this year...so in total, I've only been around a year or so. I also, luckily enough, missed a lot of the period where 1.x and 2.x were running in parallel and stuck in limbo, per se, with "The Great Merge" looming in the distant future.

Still, even with my very limited time being involved in this community, I've found myself frustrated for a "lack of clarity" or "lack of communication" from ED. Right or wrong, that was how I felt. Truth be told I understand that the community itself brings this upon itself with our general demeanor, but I must say...bravo on this update, and bravo on the open communication you've held with the community over the last 2-3 months. First with the 2.5 screenshots, then the Hornet Mini Updates, then the SOH update...it's great to feel informed of what is going on behind the scenes. It is a breath of fresh air and something I think we all really enjoy and appreciate. This letter from ED is just the cherry on top, and honestly the best "update" of any kind I've ever seen from ED.

The future of DCS is bright, I look forward to being a part of it...and thanks again for shedding some light on what has been going on behind the scenes, as well as what is on the horizon.

The day 2.5 releases...just weeks from now...will be a great day in DCS history :thumbup:

Here's to hoping that 2.5 has better support for VR!

Also this!

Edited by =Buckeye=

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

great news ....but gaming prices are through the roof sadly. I wish i could afford more modules but not going to happen at these prices :(

• Like 1

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Whilst the thought was nice, once you strip out the history lessons and stuff we already knew (modern jets are more complicated than prop planes!) it basically just reads "please understand".

Are people who were concerned over the empty WW2 theatre and trickle of asset pack updates now reassured?

Yeah, though it also says 2.5 imminent, and that's enough to make most people here jumping from excitement. It's been a long wait. :)

As a picky consumer, I feel more and more assured that whatever module makes it through the wringer that ED forces every developer to go through will have the same level of quality as all the other modules in my hangar.

Funny, I have exactly opposite impression when looking at my collection of 3rd party modules at various levels of unfinishedness. It's getting better though.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I've been there since the beginning : Lock On Modern Air Combat ; what a difference what we now have and back in those days ;

Thanks ED and Wags !

Keep up te good work!

You get there , i just know!

The Beginning was Flanker 1.0

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I don't know much about the field, but I hope mGPU technology will help VR as well. But it seems like the core engine is ED's own, so I hope the API support is extensive. Anything that helps VR!:thumbup:

Oculus' API Doesnt Support SLi / XFire

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Yes yes. Same here. Thanks for great news.

PC: i7 9700K, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080 SUPER, Tir 5, Hotas Warthog Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base with VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VKB-SIM T-RUDDER PEDALS MK.IV. Modules : NEVADA, F-5E, M-2000C, BF-109K4, A-10C, FC3, P-51D, MIG-21BIS, MI-8MTV2, F-86F, FW-190D9, UH-1H, L-39, MIG-15BIS, AJS37, SPITFIRE-MKIX, AV8BNA, PERSIAN GULF, F/A-18C HORNET, YAK-52, KA-50, F-14,SA342, C-101, F-16, JF-17, Supercarrier,I-16,MIG-19P, P-47D,A-10C_II