A Question About Naval Aviation And Winter

AKarhu

Pm me please

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Cheers guys,

I know something about Hornet but very little about carrier operations. Therefore I'd like to throw a question to you guys who know more about this business!

Simply put, what kind of means of combating more 'arctic' conditions these vessels equip? Do they have any on-deck de-icing capability, and are there any serious means to keep the deck free of snow and ice?

See attachement - Russian style snow and ice remover :)

Or, are the carriers necessarily kept out of the harsh stuff in what comes to the winter weather?

Well the Russian one is based at Murmansk, so not much hope of that.

• Like 1

JJ

Went through the straights of Magellan on the way back to norfolk a few years back taking the GW back from Japan. The carrier itself works much better in the cold waters. We still did flight ops in the cold waters but not sure if they ever had to de-ice the planes. the flight deck im sure would stay pretty snow free with the steam cats but thankfully we didnt see any snow when we were down there and we for sure didn't see any in the engine room.

• 3 weeks later...

I was on carries for three years and my last deployment was in the North Atlantic for 5 months from January to May (a long time ago ;) ). I worked on the flight deck as final checker/troubleshooter for 18's. There wasn't any special equipment. It was business as usual. I only saw once someone using deicing spray back on the fantail to clear a path to move some planes around, but that was it. Like Napolean above said, there are 4 steam cats on the decks...that's the deicing equipment for a carrier and the equipment on it. Our equipment is pretty tough and doesn't need much for harsh weather conditions.

The only thing I can say that the cold weather affected was us...haha. It was F'n cold as hell up there. As long as I was launching planes I could stay fairly warm. But doing maintenance up there was a whole different story. trying to drop an AMAD, generator or an APU on a charlie could be a real b**ch. You had cumbersome foul weather gear on and your hands get real numb real quick in negative temps.

Edited by walleye62
  • Like 1