Left handed stick recomendation please - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-20-2017, 01:53 PM   #31
some1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cichlidfan View Post
If someone is truly interested in flying then they should bite the bullet and learn to fly with their right hand. Military combat aircraft don't come with left hand sticks.
And civilian aircraft often don't come with right hand sticks. At least not for the man sitting on the left side.

You use what's available, in the end it's not much different.

Owned modules & betas: A-10C; Ka-50; P-51; FW-190D; UH-1; FC; FC2; FC3; L-39C/ZA; MiG-15bis; F-86F Sabre; Bf 109 K-4; F-5E; Mi-8MTV2; M-2000C; SA-342; MiG-21bis; C-101 Aviojet; Hawk T.1A; Spitfire IX; AJS 37; AV-8B;NTTR; PG
Hardware: Hotas Warthog, Hotas Cougar, Slaw Rudder, Wheel Stand Pro, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Rift CV1
some1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:02 AM   #32
silvergh0st

Quote:
Originally Posted by cichlidfan View Post
If someone is truly interested in flying then they should bite the bullet and learn to fly with their right hand. Military combat aircraft don't come with left hand sticks.
You do realise that we are talking about simulated flying of simulated planes, for fun, and that most of us have absolutely no expectations of ever flying real military planes/helicopters? So why would you want to insist that we compromise our enjoyment and flying experience by using our non-dominant hand which feels wrong and awkward. Left handed people tend to have better developed visio-spatial ability which I am sure they/we would compromise if not using our natural dominant hand.

In order for my flying experience to be as realistic as I could make it, my priority was on the real dynamics of flight and control feedback so I decided that a force feedback system was an absolute priority and it adds a great deal to the experience of flying warbirds, GA planes and helicopters. You seem to have compromised your experience by missing out on one of the most fundamental aspects of flying but tell others to lessen the quality of their experience and enjoyment by conforming to a standard that is unnecessary in the simulated world.

While I agree it is much easier to buy a standard HOTAS to give fingertip control of military jets that is a limited view of flying and its experiences. If you are truly interested in flying try flying a P51 or a Huey with your Warthog setup and tell me that you are not losing out a great deal compared to a more realistic setup with force feedback.

Its all about suitability for your needs and priorities and the individual enjoying the experience as much as possible and for me that naturally involves flying with my left hand.

Last edited by silvergh0st; 07-21-2017 at 09:16 AM.
silvergh0st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:01 AM   #33
WinterH

"You have to learn flying right handed for realism" is a non-argument.

Yeah, sure, if I join some airforce anytime soon, I may consider switching my dominant hand for 30-odd years, but unless that happens I see no reason to .

Even IRL, most commercial aircraft with a side by side arrangement, one of the pilots have to fly left handed, the concept isn't all that strange .

Unless someone flies with as many replica control setups as existing modules, you aren't mimicking the exact control setup realism anyway, and in that case, sacrificing the use of your more dextrous hand doesn't really contribute enough to realism to make up for loss of ability.

In a real aircraft, only option is to train your other hand, but here we have the choice, and trying to adapt the right hand just for the sake of pure "realism" is going to be a diminishing return at best.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:51 PM   #34
FragBum

Quote:
Originally Posted by some1 View Post
And civilian aircraft often don't come with right hand sticks. At least not for the man sitting on the left side.

You use what's available, in the end it's not much different.
This really, think about it this way your in a RH biased world. If you ever get the option to fly real world well that's the way it is. Biasedness is just how we approach the world.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors.
FragBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:11 AM   #35
Buzzles

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterH View Post
but here we have the choice, and trying to adapt the right hand just for the sake of pure "realism" is going to be a diminishing return at best.
We don't though.
Want a Warhog, or X55/56? Or infact, any high end PC hardware?
You have to adapt.

I pretty much now only write+do very fine precision finger work with my left.
Mice, joysticks, guitar...etc, all used right handed.

Glad I put the effort in as well, as a whole massive market was opened up for me.
Buzzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:00 AM   #36
Home Fries

I'm another lefty who learned how to fly right handed when Thrustmaster hit the scene with the FCS and WCS Mk I. As others have said, you can find an ambidextrous stick, but good luck finding an ambidextrous throttle.

Anyway, it took me a couple of weeks to learn how to use a light touch with my right hand, and then I stopped thinking about it. Learning how to fly right handed also really helped in flight school (for obvious reasons). I don't think I could fly better left handed than I do now with my right.

I say bite the bullet and learn it. It pays off, and there's no long-term downside at all.

The average naval aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

My DCS Files and Skins
My DCS TARGET Profile for Cougar or Warthog and MFDs
Home Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:15 PM   #37
BSS_Sniper

Quote:
"You have to learn flying right handed for realism" is a non-argument.

Yeah, sure, if I join some airforce anytime soon, I may consider switching my dominant hand for 30-odd years, but unless that happens I see no reason to .

Even IRL, most commercial aircraft with a side by side arrangement, one of the pilots have to fly left handed, the concept isn't all that strange .

Unless someone flies with as many replica control setups as existing modules, you aren't mimicking the exact control setup realism anyway, and in that case, sacrificing the use of your more dextrous hand doesn't really contribute enough to realism to make up for loss of ability.

In a real aircraft, only option is to train your other hand, but here we have the choice, and trying to adapt the right hand just for the sake of pure "realism" is going to be a diminishing return at best.

or as some would call it, lazy. this is a sim, do it right...
Old 08-12-2017, 07:16 PM   #38
BSS_Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergh0st View Post
You do realise that we are talking about simulated flying of simulated planes, for fun, and that most of us have absolutely no expectations of ever flying real military planes/helicopters? So why would you want to insist that we compromise our enjoyment and flying experience by using our non-dominant hand which feels wrong and awkward. Left handed people tend to have better developed visio-spatial ability which I am sure they/we would compromise if not using our natural dominant hand.

In order for my flying experience to be as realistic as I could make it, my priority was on the real dynamics of flight and control feedback so I decided that a force feedback system was an absolute priority and it adds a great deal to the experience of flying warbirds, GA planes and helicopters. You seem to have compromised your experience by missing out on one of the most fundamental aspects of flying but tell others to lessen the quality of their experience and enjoyment by conforming to a standard that is unnecessary in the simulated world.

While I agree it is much easier to buy a standard HOTAS to give fingertip control of military jets that is a limited view of flying and its experiences. If you are truly interested in flying try flying a P51 or a Huey with your Warthog setup and tell me that you are not losing out a great deal compared to a more realistic setup with force feedback.

Its all about suitability for your needs and priorities and the individual enjoying the experience as much as possible and for me that naturally involves flying with my left hand.

Given your logic, you may as well just use the keyboard
Old 08-12-2017, 07:30 PM   #39
cichlidfan
Veteran

Quote:
True, but who flies in that position has nothing to do with which person is left hand dominant. It is far more likely, from a statistical perspective, that the person flying left handed is right hand dominant. So the norm is to learn to fly with your non-dominant hand when the situation arises.
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
cichlidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:35 PM   #40
hansangb
Veteran

I believe Virpil makes left handed joystick.
Spoiler:
i7-8700K Delid/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, EVGA Z370 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, JetSeat, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, CV1
hansangb is offline   Reply With Quote