AV-8B COPY PROTECTION CHANGE

Wags

AV-8B COPY PROTECTION CHANGE  

441 members have voted

1. 1. AV-8B COPY PROTECTION CHANGE

• 1 Calendar Day
    • 3 Calendar Days ( Current System Under Evaluation )
    • 7 Calendar Days
    • 14 Calendar Days
    • 21 Calendar Days
    • 30 Calendar Days ( Once a Month )
    • 60 Calendar Days
    • 90 Calendar Days

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are not required to log in every four days. I just means that after a four day mark, it will send a verification the next time you play DCS World.

To clarify, if one is without Internet for longer than four days, a connection will then be required to resume playing, after that four days is up?

@ cordite

The message states (now) the following:

"The new system will just “phone home” after a four day period or the next time you log into DCS World."

I understand it as:

a) With internet connection, it contacts an ED server every four days.

b) Without internet connection, the next time you have an internet connection (whenever that might be).

Edited by Arsonist
Provide better message

• ED Team
It's been edited, as you've noticed. I read the locked post on the other forum.

But I think 7 days would be much more reasonable. :/

There was no need for the snark.

4 days is what it is right now. This is new to ED as well as us. Lets see how it works and give good feedback. Nobody has any experience with it yet, so you dont know yet how it will be for you. I can imagine there are very few people now that go longer than 4 days not connected to the Internet.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Great decision :thumbup:

this will make life so much simpler for the DCS Community :joystick:

THANK YOU :pilotfly:

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I know that this question is a little bit of toppic, but is there a chance that the early access version also can be buy in Steam?

DCS Flaming Cliffs 3, DCS Combined Arms, DCS F-5E Tiger II, DCS Ka-50, DCS F/A 18C Hornet,DCS A-10C Warthog,DCS AV-8B Harrier

Wishlist: DCS F-16 Falcon

Intel Core I7-6700K OC 4.7GHZ, Nvidia RTX 2060 6GB, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198294329153/

So to be clear on this new protection

Once modules are activated and you do not connect to the internet again things will work ok for the end user ?

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

I was fine with the Star Force itself, but not by its count of installations and uninstallations. I didn't run out any serials because I was super careful when not to activate some module and always deactivate module when possible, but I came close.

So for me the keyless system is OK as it gives me unlimited installation amount for my few computers that I might use at different places (just me so on different times) and so on improvement.

But, this "homing" thing is something similarly worrysome. But sounds still far better than now.

I expect something is behind the system that the module generates a ID of the hardware and sends it to ED server and then calls every now and then (or when possible) to ED to check that the hardware ID and the login ID matches in history and keeps going. This is so that if someone tries to copy the module/DCS to unauthorized computer, the system detects it at the moment when DCS is launched in online (requirement for multiplayer and activation) first time.

So the ED gets to generate the ID to be stored and checked and so forward. All that you really should need to do is to just use your ED account for login and everything goes fine at the background.

I can see that the real limitations right now are then that:

1) Only a single ED account can be active at the time from single IP / DCS process. So everytime connection is available, it is checked that only one active computer is running. So no "buddy flying" as two computers with same ED account can't be active.

2) You can't transfer the key (as law in many countries allows) between different accounts multiple times, like Bob > Arthur > Bob > Arthur. But you could do it once like Bob > Arthur (like law permits) once a year or so as example. I understand very well the gray market business problem ED is facing, but honest people shouldn't be penalties from those, or disallow illegal locking of software product to whole account even if user later on wants to sell it away. (And of course ED can go around this by only "renting license to service" instead selling a key to product like Valve does).

But as I wrote, looks to be an nice surprised improvement as less I need to worry about "limited installations" and I can have one of my PC off-line after first module installation, then better

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

4 days is what it is right now. This is new to ED as well as us. Lets see how it works and give good feedback. Nobody has any experience with it yet, so you dont know yet how it will be for you. I can imagine there are very few people now that go longer than 4 days not connected to the Internet.

I don't think the issue is that we won't be connected to the internet.

The issue is what if ED's servers go down for more than 4 days? Not saying that's ever happened, but if the possibility exists then it should be understood what will happen then.

In a world wide nuclear war we will loose our login but if everything goes like usual you dont need to worry about that.

• Like 1

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

In a world wide nuclear war we will loose our login but if everything goes like usual you dont need to worry about that.

True, in that case I will be playing Stalker, on Steam, in offline mode. :P

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Wouldn't it be much safer if it was trying to connect each time, even in the background to avoid waiting, and registering the last successful validation, THEN have a n-day tolerance?

Otherwise, if the server is down or if an Internet connection is not available this 4th day, it means DCS is not available, correct? So in case of problem there's a 4-in-1 chance we can't access it.

I also find 4 days quite short, is there a reason why it's 4 and not larger as usual in other systems? It's not as if everyone was running DCS every day, so the 4-in-1 chance would still remain in most cases.

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

hmmmm

I liked the openess of your "letter" the other day ......

But suddenly after everyone who wanted the Harrier has already paid

you announce a new copy protection system that will require it to phone home every 4 days or it still stop working

Why was this not metioned BEFORE people we able to buy this so they could make an informed decision?

seems kinda dodgy (dare I even say deceptive) to move the goal posts

surely you guys knew this was coming, it did not appear out of the blue?

Iam not a big fan of starforce, but at least once you activated a module

you could play it without having to be online

ED have stated that SP is their biggest userbase, much more than MP users.

Some of them will like me, not have internet connection for a while which

means no DCS :-(

All the modules bought so far have had

"Requires internet activation"

Which is ok, but now will it be

"requires internet connection every 4 days to work" ?

So we bought the software under one set of rules which are now going to be changed

But changed after the money has already been exchanged

I humbly urge you to re-think this new system to make it better of the end user (which will benefit ED by less complaints)

Edited by Johnny_Rico
  • Like 1

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

• ED Team

This system is much better, and I am glad to see it happening.

We already login to DCS and when you are online it checks with the server, when you go into your module manager it tells you what modules you can install anyway. Nothing has really changed for the end user apart from a step closer to not using starforce.

Many on this forum have spent years feeding back about how starforce is disliked, and when ED find a way of making things easier for the end users some still dislike it. Of course they can not keep everyone happy, but their software has to be protected in some way, personally for me, this is the best option.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2