ECM Effectiveness against AI SAM

Shrike88

As far as I understand, One Aircraft cannot do much against sams when it comes to jamming. Jamming is a very complicated operation in which various aircrafts carrying ECMs go into hostile area from various directions in order to effectively confuse the Radar. Those Aircrafts are dedicated for this operation and are specially equipped with high powered equipement.

I am not sure how effective a normal fighter can be agianst Sams. I mean many modern fighter jets have been shot down by Sams. Why dint they deloy ECMs if they were so effective?

Take a look at the DECM 60 informational video that was posted in one of these copy cat threads. https://youtube.com/watch?t=706s&v=d5T1vPmA-l4

Yeah when there are 20 radars tracking a single aircraft, it's jamming capabilities gets lowered to a minimum. But in reality, no one flies alone. Yes there are dedicated ECM aircraft

In DCS a lot of the times your working against a single radar or maximum 2-3, not a IADS, which this was designed for, so even in a one ship you should be effective.

ECM DOES effect AI SAMs (or at least it used to)

Edited by Shadow KT

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

I've found it makes a noticeable difference.

Have you tried waiting to turn on your ECM until you get your first RWR contact from the SAM in question?

And you never said how you're running your tests, are you testing it the same way every time?

At what altitude, at what speed, at what angle to the SAM?

Are you flying low and slow directly over it? Are you flying high and fast with full burners?

Do you have a full loadout, including all the external hardpoints filled, or are they empty?

And against what kind of SAM? Do they have AWACS in the maps where you've tested it?

Also both of the aircraft you mention, well neither one is stealth by any means, and especially the Su-25t has an enormous radar cross section when fully loaded with missiles and rockets hanging all over its exterior. I wouldn't imagine a single jammer would have the kind of enormous effect you seem to be expecting.

Edited by fergrim

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
sorry, do you know when is ecm going to be implemented on the f18?!?

It's on the roadmap for this year.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg