2021 (and earlier) DCS Newsletter Discussion Thread

NineLine

All Current 3rd Parties likely signed an Amended Contract that introduces the new stipulation that if the 3rd Party were to cease development all assets would be turned over to E.D. for continued support.

As much as I hate to see the Hawk go... it was prolly for the best in the long run.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I would bet that the new stipulation would not come into affect until such time as the 3rd party were to go out of business and/or withdraw. The 3rd party developers would not have to turn their code over until then.

That kind of sets up a ‘blood from a turnip’ type of situation. Unless ED is holding reliably updated 3rd party source code in perpetual escrow (nope), their gaining source code access if another VEAO happens is far from guaranteed.

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

I have been with ED as a customers since Su 27 Flanker days and until the Yak I have bought everything in the DCS universe. My attitude to 3rd Party Developers has always been to buy at pre release in an effort to support diverse development, give them my money to encourage them. I estimated about $320 of my money paid out on modules alone.

The VEAO situation makes me feel uneasy that because of a change in a 3rd party's fortune I could potentially lose modules that not only have I spent money on but perhaps more importantly spent a great deal of time on them.

I welcome the attempts by ED to reduce this risk in the future and hope for more developents in this area in the new year.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TrubshawRN -=SHREK 94=-

All Current 3rd Parties likely signed an Amended Contract that introduces the new stipulation that if the 3rd Party were to cease development all assets would be turned over to E.D. for continued support.

As much as I hate to see the Hawk go... it was prolly for the best in the long run.

Thanks for giving Official Word that Eagle Dynamics has updated the contracts it has with all the 3rd parties, that puts a lot of peoples minds at ease

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

Thanks for giving Official Word that Eagle Dynamics has updated the contracts it has with all the 3rd parties, that puts a lot of peoples minds at ease

My post is not considered Official Word.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

"likely"... not "have signed". Exactly, not considered official word.

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

My post is not considered Official Word.

Oh sorry got my wires crossed there, the Question was directed at an Official ED (Eagle Dynamics) representative,

and when you answered I assumed you were an Offical Eagle Dynamics reprentative

So as it stands right now, if one of the current 3rd party developers ran out of money/closed we could end up with another HAWK situation?

No more pre-orders

So as it stands right now, if one of the current 3rd party developers ran out of money/closed we could end up with another HAWK situation?

Yup. Unless ED gets them to sign a new contract, which only an idiot would do.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Or someone who thought they would like to do another module someday and want to keep ED on side...

Seriously though, if the contract is written in such a way that the vendor can still sell the right to the code to another party, there’s no downside to a clause that only kicks in if they go bust, so why would they damage their relationship with E.D. by refusing to sign such a clause ?

Cheers.

Not necessarily. The 3rd party is most likely developing the module for DCS under licence from Eagle Dynamics anyway. This could deem the module as shared IP, as the module was developed for the sole purpose of use/sale from within DCS.

It could be reasonable to expect that full access to the module is released to ED if the third 3rd party leaves.

This would be more so, if the module makes use of ED game engine specific code.

Of course I'm no expert, and in reality it's usually way more complicated then this simplistic opinion

Sent using Tapatalk

MSI Z170X-Gaming 5, Intel 6700K, 32G RAM, RTX2080ti, Samsung SSD gaming drive, Samsung SSD System drive, RIFT CV1, TM Warthog Hotas, TPR peddles, Gamtrix Jetseat

The ownership of IP is a tricky slope. I would never consider signing a contract that allowed another to make unlimited use (which is what would happen if ED has the source code) if I decided to quit my company. Keep in mind that this sort of clause would likely include just retiring from the business.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• ED Team
Is there any better information on this announced reward system with ED Products that is supposed to come together with MAC?

We should be releasing more info about the new reward system soon. It will be for all of DCS not just MAC.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• ED Team
The ownership of IP is a tricky slope. I would never consider signing a contract that allowed another to make unlimited use (which is what would happen if ED has the source code) if I decided to quit my company. Keep in mind that this sort of clause would likely include just retiring from the business.

I am not sitting in on contract signings by any means, but ED's intent, as far as I am aware, is only for maintenance, royalties from future sales would even still go to the original 3rd Party, but ED would have the means to maintain, and by maintaining I mean just continue to make it available for newer versions, it would not include any development or bug fixing beyond that.

Edited by NineLine

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I am not sitting in on contract signings by any means, but ED's intent, as far as I am aware, is only for maintenance, royalties from future sales would even still go to the original 3rd Party, but ED would have the means to maintain, and by maintaining I mean just continue to make it available for newer versions, it would not include any development or bug fixing beyond that.

Thanks for answering , So no Offical word as of yet on my questions, so things going forward are a bit un-certain :-(

No more pre-orders

Nineline. ....I really like that as an idea and a way forward. From my limited experience of third party developers on the forums and on ts and as a tester they are from our community and enthusiasts about the flightsim world who stick their neck out to produce modules. From that point of view they would surely want their module to live on in the DCS world. I really hope VEAO can be persuaded to come round to that way of thinking. Whatever people think of the Hawk as a module it, in my opinion, is a loss to our rich simulation and the current situation is a worrying precedent. Let's hope for a happy new year.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TrubshawRN -=SHREK 94=-

So, no mig23 on the 2019 roadmap?

It was supposed to be developed after the MiG-19 IIRC, so it is indeed unlikely to see both aircraft being released within the same year.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg