Cartoon character intellectual property in User File upload section - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-13-2018, 02:18 PM   #1
NeoHelios

Default Cartoon character intellectual property in User File upload section

Hi Community,

TLDR: Am I allowed to slap an image of the Roadrunner cartoon character on the nose of a Viggen, and distribute it to the community via the User File download area without fear of it being removed?

I'm trying to answer a question about using intellectual property such as cartoon characters on skins/Liveries. Nothing crazy like a full-on "no regrets" Mickey Mouse Club Disney skin for the F-15 (God, help me, if I ever see that!) Something more or less military-appropriate, like the Time Warner cartoon character Road Runner as nose art on a Viggen, or maybe tail art of the Tasmanian Devil on a Harrier tail.

Here are examples of cartoon characters used in military insignia:

To what degree is cartoon character usage permissible on these skins as User File uploads? I don't want to be an armchair attorney, here, but would nose/tail art be covered under 5% / derivative works rule or anything, or are the User File upload rules more conservative than that?

Thank you!

Intel Core i5-4690K :: ASRock Z97 Anniversary :: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti :: G.SKILL TridentX Series 16GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

A-10C Warthog :: AV-8B Harrier II :: AJS-37 Viggen :: Ka-50 Black Shark

CSG-1 callsign: Cloudy

Last edited by NeoHelios; 02-13-2018 at 04:26 PM.
NeoHelios is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cartoon, livery, skin