Any chance for the F/A-18D after the F/A-18C release?

DimitryNZ

First off, apologies if this has been suggested a lot before. As you may already know, the F/A-18C is an impressive multirole aircraft that many western nations are presently using. The common F/A-18D (for those that don’t know, is the 2-seat F/A-18 with a pilot and a rear Weapon System Operator) would be a useful auxiliary for the upcoming F/A-18C for weapon and flight training missions for both land-based and carrier operations. In addition, a rear WSO would help lessen the load on the pilot for fast supersonic anti-ground/sea strike missions (which would be fun alongside the 2-seat air-to-air F-14A/B in the future). IIRC the F/A-18D has the same radar and for the most part avionic systems as the F/A-18C so I believe the aircraft would be a popular product/seller (which could be sold as a bundle and/or separately) while not requiring a completely new flight model, radar and avionics systems (with the exception of making it multi-seat of course). I welcome any thoughts on this suggestion. Thanks.

• 4 months later...

I didn't want to start a new thread but I was also thinking of the possibility of the F/A-18D. They have the Albatros with multi-crew multiplayer so I don't see why they wouldn't do this at some point. If they aren't already working on it

"Simultaneous selection of fuel dump and afterburner during high AOA

maneuvering may cause fuel to ignite with resulting fuselage damage."

Can somebody tell me the difference between the F18C and the F18D except for the crew capacity or are they basically the same ? In that case I think it would be real easy for ED to release the F18D as an update.

Same Avionics Package, Less Fuel Cells (Removed to make room for rear cockpit).

However they would have to code and sync all the rear cockpit systems w/ the front, and code the player specific items (if not done / planned in the beginning might need a LOT of re-coding need)

The Rear cockpit is NOT a Carbon Copy of the front (MFDs are re-orientented, along with UFC), and some other items.

They would have to Extend the 3D Model, and Build the back seat (it's NOT a Simple Copy/Paste in 3DS), Building Cockpits Take time.

Not to even mention re-building the External Model.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Won't happen.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

If it was in works I'd pay full module price for it, having a wso friend would be great.

F/A-18C is a Full Module By itself regardless.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Same Avionics Package, Less Fuel Cells (Removed to make room for rear cockpit).

However they would have to code and sync all the rear cockpit systems w/ the front, and code the player specific items (if not done / planned in the beginning might need a LOT of re-coding need)

The Rear cockpit is NOT a Carbon Copy of the front (MFDs are re-orientented, along with UFC), and some other items.

They would have to Extend the 3D Model, and Build the back seat (it's NOT a Simple Copy/Paste in 3DS), Building Cockpits Take time.

Not to even mention re-building the External Model.

Agree on the code and sync.

The 3D work for cockpit and exterior takes days only.

Maybe weeks for a medium skilled lazy Artist.

But just the re-coding part will take a while with all the debugging.

Even the L39 is still not quiet there yet regarding multicrew.

Let's have ED figure out one multi-seat module fully before we ask for more.

4790K@4,6Ghz | EVGA Z97 Classified | 32GB @ 2400Mhz | Titan X hydro copper| SSD 850 PRO

Moments in DCS:

--> https://www.youtube.com/user/weltensegLA

-->

WELD's cockpit: --> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=92274

Days Assumption, are you in anyway a 3D Artist? cause that assumption is pretty rash, I already stated, the layout of the Cockpit is not the same in the back, so it will not be a copy/paste,

Then the Switches and dials would all have to be animated w/ separate Argument Numbers from their front seat counter part,

Then the Switches and Dials would all have to have the connectors placed and named difference from front seat counter parts...

Too many ifs here.

If they would get license for it...

If they would have access to a real one...

If they counted with it when building C version or else they would have to do it from scratch...

If they would be willing to code a single player AI for WSO...

etc.

F-16C is more plausible in my opinion.

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

WSO is not required,

I've seen F/A-18Ds and F's Take off for missions Sans WSO's in the back seat.

Considering the real world Squadron we named our group after flew the D and now F.... It would be real cool for us. :) That said... second time in a week I'm agreeing with a moderator... what's the world coming too... :) :) Like Skate said, way to much coding for too little return. Now once the C is released a skin mod by the community that makes it -look- like a D from the outside would be super cool. Of course, I'm not a computer guy. Don't even know if that is possible without changing the whole 3D modle, but it would be cool.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edited by SageOT

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group One | Discord

Let´s first GET the F-18, before we already ask for more F-18s...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

GCI: "Control to SEAD: Enemy SAM site 190 for 30, cleared to engage"

Striker: "Copy, say Altitude?"

GCI: "....Deck....it´s a SAM site..."

Striker: "Oh...."

Fighter: "Yeah, those pesky russian build, baloon based SAMs."

-Red-Lyfe

Best way to troll DCS community, make an F-16A, see how dedicated the fans really are :thumbup: