Next aircraft speculation - Page 12 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-11-2015, 10:43 PM   #111
Dudikoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBot View Post
If it wasn't for the ground radar reference, I would have guessed that the modern plane is the MiG-23BN (simplest possible Russian plane building on established MiG-21 tech, duck-nose).
Yes, I've thought about a MiG-27, but they have no radar. Would make more sense as the cockpit could benefit a lot from the MiG-21 development, although the FM development would suffer with the variable-sweep wing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawal2 View Post
Actually not to be difficult but Double Ugly was the nickname (along with Rhino) for the F4 Phantom not the Intruder...
I guess you're right; I was misinformed by the Wiki entry on A-6 and this list, too (for the Prowler): http://web.mit.edu/btyung/www/nickname.html

Well, there's still the nose. And this dead giveaway: DrUmstiCK
i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1 btn 2 axis gameport joystick, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are absolutely useless. Just passing time till DCS: F-14..

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Last edited by Dudikoff; 03-11-2015 at 10:55 PM.
Dudikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 11:17 PM   #112
Jerkzilla

I'm almost willing to bet money that it's a Viggen. Wiki entry suggested its radar had some primitive AG function, haven't found details though.
Jerkzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:11 AM   #113
emg

The first production version in ~1971 had A2G radar/avionics/role (even though the airframe was developed as an interceptor) because the need for new strikers was more urgent than for interceptors.
emg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:48 AM   #114
TooTall

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawal2 View Post
Still NO CLUE on a more modern plane though.. Does the Flogger have a ground radar?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBot View Post
If it wasn't for the ground radar reference, I would have guessed that the modern plane is the MiG-23BN (simplest possible Russian plane building on established MiG-21 tech, duck-nose).

With regards to the Japan references, we should consider the possibility that these point to AI planes to complement the Corsair.
Admittedly we still could be misinterpreting that radar comment. Like someone else pointed out (can't remember who), Cobra didn't say "Air-to-ground" he just said "ground radar". Now I just assumed he meant A2G radar and he very well could have but just didn't bother to add the "air-to" part.

But with so many people talking about GCI with the MiG-21, there is always the possibility that LN could be making an addon allowing people to act as GCI. Making an accurate GCI would certainly involve making new tech. It is a big shot in the dark on that, but it isn't outside the realm of possibility. That would then open up the possibilities of other aircraft like the MiG-23 or Su-24. But we still have to also assume he meant A2G radar unless Cobra says otherwise.

As for the flag representing AI Japanese aircraft vs Corsair, sure it's possible now since we have evidence there aren't two WWII planned to be released (at least this year). But I still find it odd for Cobra to have made a teaser image of upcoming products with three images, and while having three products he only hints at two of them. Who knows at this point, I admit they have definitely left me pretty confused. I'm not going to get my hopes up on anything. Especially since the one I really cared about was already announced.

Regardless, with all this guessing and pulling our hair at every hint and comment, Leatherneck Sims be like:

i5 @3.7GHz (OC to 4.1), 16GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 970 4GB, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV, Razer Blackshark Headset, Obutto Ozone
TooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 02:18 AM   #115
Jerkzilla

^Neat, thanks! A bit disappointing, but it still fits the duck part, and Cobra's wording abut that radar was kind of ambiguous.
Jerkzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 02:18 AM   #116
King_Hrothgar

The most likely possibilities I currently see for the modern plane:

"Ground radar" means air to ground radar and is included on the modern plane:
1) Su-22M5
2) Su-24
3) Viggen
4) A-6

"Ground radar" means GCI or is intended for something further down the pipe:
1) MiG-23/27
2) MiG-21 modernized
3) MiG-25
4) Su-17/22
King_Hrothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:09 AM   #117
BlackLion213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkzilla View Post
I'm almost willing to bet money that it's a Viggen. Wiki entry suggested its radar had some primitive AG function, haven't found details though.
Hello, I'm new here, but long time aviation and Tomcat fan.

I agree that the "modern" other aircraft is a Viggen:
1. It has a Air-to-Ground radar.
2. "Vigg" is Swedish for "Tufted Duck" (Viggen is supposed to mean "Thunderbolt" I think - but is often referred to as the "Duck".
3. The lead designer and "evil corporate overlord" is Swedish and might have a slight affinity for the airplane.

My 2 cents, but seems like a solid guess given the similar hints for the Tomcat. The Viggen is the only airplane that seems to carry the Duck nickname and it fits all the criteria set forth. Plus, it is totally different from anything else in DCS. Would be quite an addition (I'm also a big fan of the Viggen). Wonder if it would have it's own theater or a NTTR/Red Flag campaign?

Best,

Nick
BlackLion213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:35 AM   #118
YoYo

This:

Win 10 64, i7 7700k@4.5, GTX 2080Ti 11Gb, RAM 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX, 4xSSD+1SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TrackIR 5, TH Warthog, Throtlle Quadrant CH, MFG Rudder, Go Flight GF-P8, Saitek: Pro Flight Radio Panel, Pro Flight Switch Panel, Pro Flight Multi Panel, FiP and BiP, iPad2 for maps [FSX, P3Dv3, DCS, TOH, RoF, Condor, WT, IL-2 CoD/BoS/BoM/BoK]
YoYo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:06 AM   #119
Einherjer

Default The other two planes...

The Viggen has canards - which translated means "duck" or technical "duck wings"?! Maybe a hint?

But YoYo, yes! The SU22 would be fantastic
Einherjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:15 AM   #120
Oberfeldwebel Elmo

Yup definitely a SPAD

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.
Oberfeldwebel Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dcs, mig-25