Tips and Hints - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-31-2014, 02:15 PM   #31
TurboHog

FOV is actually in View.lua, located in the F-86 mod folder.

It is 85 by default, which makes it look pretty zoomed out. I've changed it to 76 (Line 29), which I believe is a good trade-off between a normal zoom level and panel visibility (single 16:10 monitor)

The file also contains eyepoint, local point, angle limits, shoulder size, 6dof limits, snapviews etc. Basicly it is server.lua and snapviews.lua in one file.

Last edited by TurboHog; 07-31-2014 at 02:18 PM.
TurboHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:15 AM   #32
mwd2

For what do i use Wing Span Decrease/Increase [/],[,]?

GSPB Squadron "Serious Ugly"

Ghost0815

mwd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:05 AM   #33
Robo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwd2 View Post
For what do i use Wing Span Decrease/Increase [/],[,]?
To set the wingspan of your target for the A-4 gunsight to compute the deflection correctly. It's 33 feet for the MiG-15, 37 feet for the Sabre.
Robo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:22 PM   #34
SuperSix2

I thought the gun sight had a radar on it so all I had to do was put the pipper on my target, it gets a lock and I fire. I find this is not the case or at least maybe there wasn't a tone. I know the sight adjust itself automatically since it's the A-4? Am i doing somethign wrong haha. I'm trying to engage furthest when i go guns at .3nm?
SuperSix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:33 PM   #35
fjacobsen

The manual range switch is used when the radar fails.
Wingspan is still needed to be set.

FinnJ
fjacobsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:34 PM   #36
Scrim+
Posting Rights Revoked

It does it automatically, yes. But if you know the wingspan, it's a good routine to enter it manually in case you lose it on the radar.
Scrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:31 PM   #37
fjacobsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrim View Post
It does it automatically, yes. But if you know the wingspan, it's a good routine to enter it manually in case you lose it on the radar.
I think in the real F-86 setting the manual range would override the radar setting.
For the radar to set range, the manual range setting on the throttle had to be set full counterclockwise (actually springloaded) to max range.

FinnJ
Old 08-03-2014, 11:18 AM   #38
fjacobsen

According to the link in this post:http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?...38&postcount=1

I think the bombing altimeter is a bit flawed for the manual pip control bombing method.

Here is the procedure from that document:

• Approach target from the side using a 90 degree turn towards the target
  • Approach at 10, 15 or 20.000 ft according to the mode selected on the manual pip control unit (Flipping the cards).
  • Set the manual pip control from Normal to Bomb.
  • Set the sight function to either Rocket or Guns - NOT Bomb !!
  • Select dive angle on the Manual pip control unit and read the index altitude on the outer scale.
  • Set target altitude with the thin red needle on the bombing altimeter
  • The index altitude pointer is then set on the red scale to the index altitude read on the Manual pip control unit´s outer scale.

Problem is that on the DCS F-86 bombing altimeter there is no red scale, so release altitude does not account for target altitude, but will always be sea level altitude.
Since it´s hard to see the photos on the document, I´m not sure if the Bombing altimeter is the exact same mark as mentioned in the doc.
Another way the Bombing altimeter could work, would be that setting the red target altitude needle, would equaly offset the release altitude pointer i.e setting target altitude to 500 ft would increase the release pointer by 500 ft.

Other considerations regarding bombing with the F-86...
Right now we only got the 500lb bomb, this means that a A-4 sight auto bomb is not allowed
According to the documentation, bombing with the F-86 can not be expected to be very accurate, regardless what method to be used.

Hitting a tank sized target is unlikely. There is no doubt why using Napalm was prefered.

FinnJ

Last edited by fjacobsen; 08-03-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:29 PM   #39
Pivot2163

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelina1 View Post
trying to get used to the HOLD the "S" for steering. can be a bit of challenge, especially trying to get the nose wheel straight again for the takeoff, (right after you made a hard turn from the taxiway onto the runway).
I assigned that to the TM Boat Switch, works like a champ... Also did the same with the F15C..

Pivot

Pivot

i7-875 OC'd 3.9 GHz * Nvidia GTX 980-Ti * SB X AE-5 * Sennheiser 363D Headset * Win10 x64 Home * 16 Gb Ram * 10K RPM Raptor * TM Warthog Combo & Saitek Pro-Rudders
Pivot2163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:50 PM   #40
mjmorrow

This may be obvious, but look through the DCS e-store page for the Sabre. There is a lot of interesting information. Recently, I had a problem. My little sim character passed out in flight. I had no idea why. I had the oxygen running...Then I read through the store page and found out that I need to adjust a differential pressure regulator, while I climb out, in order to maintain my sim character's normal vital functions. There is a ton of useful technical information covered in the e-store page.

Last edited by mjmorrow; 09-01-2014 at 05:54 PM.
mjmorrow is offline   Reply With Quote