AIM-9X

Alphamale

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the 9x and 120 in stable version or only in OpenBeta? In stable version I cannot find them. Tried the update tool and I am uptodate!

Just Open Beta for the 9x (120 went into stable last week, but it doesn't have the new changes from this week) - they always update the beta first and then their usual programme is to update stable the following week. If you want the new stuff as soon as it's released switch to open beta, but there's a decent chance of nasty bugs (I. E. Last update broke a couple of modules for a few days).

Yes but as another has said, the STT only guides the Aim9 seeker to the target while it's still on the rail. That means even with an STT lock, the seeker may not register an IR lock unless lock parameters like distance, heat signature aspect are met. But another point is that STT alerts the enemy. Some prefer the silent method - use only IR seeker (no radar lock). I've noticed (I think) the AI is a little less likely to use flares if locked up by IR only.

The info it gets is only directional data which the AIM-9 then uses to look in the indicated direction. The seeker head is gimbaled inside so it will physically turn its seeker to look in that direction. It then uses its own internal logic as normal to acquire a target, which may not always be what the radar is locked onto. The Sidewinder doesn't know the exact position of the target the radar is locked onto, only which direction the target is in.

9X alredy has the highest flares rejection capability in the DCS.

Looking pretty cool to me:thumbup:

You can hear it just lost tone when fired (Sill locked) and still found the first target, the second shot found the wingman by itself and rejected the flares....Nice. OK, the setup was not real fair, it still shows what the X can do.:)

And then when we get the JHMCS we'll be able to slave the seeker to our frickin HEADS!!! :).

Like we can do in the Ruskie planes :).

Yep, JHMCS in this aircraft is going to be real fun...:D

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I have tested 9X as well and I will not talk rangewise. I will touch the head's gimbal limits. It seems that is set to 20°. In this context the max offset boresight launch angle is 20°. Eventually, I hard locked (STT) a burning high speed hi aspect angle target and after getting a 9X lock tone with uncage button pressed I turned offset boresight for more than 20° and the 9X IR lock was lost. That means that either gimbal limits are alike L or M or that the uncage function doesn't function properly.

Any idea

My Hardware: ROG Strix X570-F Gaming - AMD 5600X @ 4.7 ghz - G.SKILL TRIDENT 32GB DDR4 3200 (14-14-14-34 CL) - GigaByte 3080ti OC 12gb - Corsair MP600 Force 1TB - 2 x EVO Nvme 500GB - Virpil Warbird Base T-50CM2 and TM Throttle + Trackhat + G25 + AOC AG271QG 27"

My Modules: JF-17, F-16C, AV-8N/A, F-18C, ASJ37, MiG-15Bis, MiG-21Bis, Fw-190D, Bf-109K, P-51D, F-86F, Ka-50 III, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, NS430, FC3, A-10C, Mirage 2000C, L-39, F-5E-3, SA342, Spitfire, AH-64, Mirage F-1CE.

My Maps: Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria, South Atlantic.

I have tested 9X as well and I will not talk rangewise. I will touch the head's gimbal limits. It seems that is set to 20°. In this context the max offset boresight launch angle is 20°. Eventually, I hard locked (STT) a burning high speed hi aspect angle target and after getting a 9X lock tone with uncage button pressed I turned offset boresight for more than 20° and the 9X IR lock was lost. That means that either gimbal limits are alike L or M or that the uncage function doesn't function properly.

Any idea

This is an early implementation. Wags has already stated they tweaked the 9X internally where it has the full range at 90 degrees off bore sight.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

Many thanx Revelation

My Hardware: ROG Strix X570-F Gaming - AMD 5600X @ 4.7 ghz - G.SKILL TRIDENT 32GB DDR4 3200 (14-14-14-34 CL) - GigaByte 3080ti OC 12gb - Corsair MP600 Force 1TB - 2 x EVO Nvme 500GB - Virpil Warbird Base T-50CM2 and TM Throttle + Trackhat + G25 + AOC AG271QG 27"

My Modules: JF-17, F-16C, AV-8N/A, F-18C, ASJ37, MiG-15Bis, MiG-21Bis, Fw-190D, Bf-109K, P-51D, F-86F, Ka-50 III, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, NS430, FC3, A-10C, Mirage 2000C, L-39, F-5E-3, SA342, Spitfire, AH-64, Mirage F-1CE.

My Maps: Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria, South Atlantic.

Any idea

Perhaps the off boresight is still WIP and uses the M for now?

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Perhaps the off boresight is still WIP and uses the M for now?

Seems to be the case for the version we have right now. Based on what Wags has said, the proper OBS capability didn't make this patch, but it sounds like it's already on the 9X internally. We can probably expect it next patch.

Looking pretty cool to methumbup.gif

You can hear it just lost tone when fired (Sill locked) and still found the first target, the second shot found the wingman by itself and rejected the flares....Nice. OK, the setup was not real fair, it still shows what the X can do.smile.gif

This video is rather interesting as it also demonstrates something that pilots will have to consider, especially for something like the 9X. The missile that missed appears to be your second shot which came off the right wing, opposite the targets. Given you were firing at the edge of boresight, I suspect the nose of your Hornet blocked the LOS for the second missile, and by the time it shot off ahead of your nose, the target was too far off boresight. Meanwhile, the third missile was immediately able to see the target, having an unobstructed line of sight and was just able to see it.

Not sure that will have a huge impact in most situations, but could foil certain snapshots.

• ED Team
I have tested 9X as well and I will not talk rangewise. I will touch the head's gimbal limits. It seems that is set to 20°.

You are wrong.

The gimbal limits of 9X already 90 degrees but limited to lock about 60 degrees by aircraft weapon system now. It will corrected in the next update.

Единственный урок, который можно извлечь из истории, состоит в том, что люди не извлекают из истории никаких уроков. (С) Джордж Бернард Шоу

You are wrong.

The gimbal limits of 9X already 90 degrees but limited to lock about 60 degrees by aircraft weapon system now. It will corrected in the next update.

Hi, Chizh

Are there any plans to tweak the drag? Currently the 9M has a slightly longer range.

Thanks!

• ED Team
As Raytheon designed the AIM-9X to also be used against moving ground targets, has anyone had any luck with it? Is that feature being designed into the weapon model?

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/exclusive-raytheon-adapts-aim-9x-for-air-to-ground-missson-335762/

I think that alteration is too new for what they are modelling with the Hornet.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I think that alteration is too new for what they are modelling with the Hornet.

OK cool, thanks.

I knew there would be no Block II or Block III modelling, but thought maybe this one may have snuck in ;-)

Additionally, if that is the case, there is no range increase to initial batch Block I, it's the same as L/M, just a massive capability increase (as far as what is unclassified of course).

OK cool, thanks.

I knew there would be no Block II or Block III modelling, but thought maybe this one may have snuck in ;-)

Additionally, if that is the case, there is no range increase to initial batch Block I, it's the same as L/M, just a massive capability increase (as far as what is unclassified of course).

Block II is the version that can engage ground targets - FYI.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

I was under the impression the 9X Blk I had a little more reach than its predecessors - if only due to its less draggy airframe. Ah well whatever - she's chiefly meant to be used up close in the phonebooth anyway. The JHMCS combo ought to be beastly.

7695e2e2gw1eh0qb0i1qdg208w06ohdt.gif

:matrix:

Edited by Boogieman

It does have more reach, though not purely due to drag - it's able to incorporate much more complex intercept algorithms, including mid-course guidance (but you need a 9X with datalink) - the drag in this case probably plays a minor role.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Makes sense. With passive guidance and a smokeless motor I could see it also being a very dangerous sneak attack weapon in a similar (if shorter-legged) way to the ET in DCS now.

I have heard stories about the ASRAAM being potent in this role with its big motor so I could see a longer reaching, IIR guided 'winder being really nasty in the right hands too.

Oh, very cool!! :thumbup:

This little mean stinger with the high off Boresight capabilty is amazing. It seems to use a Lock-on After launch feature to seek out the target. Amazes me how a missile with a target that is considerably off its gimbal would achieve such a feat.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

This little mean stinger with the high off Boresight capabilty is amazing. It seems to use a Lock-on After launch feature to seek out the target. Amazes me how a missile with a target that is considerably off its gimbal would achieve such a feat.

It's not LOAL (the version they're simulating doesn't have it), just a reaaaaallly wide field of view, it can look 90 degrees off boresight (so it can see anything in its forward hemisphere).

It's not LOAL (the version they're simulating doesn't have it), just a reaaaaallly wide field of view, it can look 90 degrees off boresight (so it can see anything in its forward hemisphere).
Really wide angle indeed, good to know. Thanks for the info.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset