Be my LSO? F-18 Hornet Case 1 Recovery (video)

So I been practicing proper Case 1 procedure for about 3 days now, I've done probably 50-60 traps now. Finally getting ok at hitting the numbers. I recorded this view from the LSO perspective and would love to hear some feedback. This is the best one I've been able to pull off so far. I think I came in kind of low on that trap but its hard to add the right amount of power, I read you're supposed to add power and pull back and add and pull back. anyone nailing their landings with some tips to share?

Another area i'm having trouble with is after I hit the 180 and I beam the carrier and I start the pull for the 90 and the 45....I have trouble getting lined up with the carrier box after I exit the turn and i'm wings level. any tips? what degrees are you turning how many G's are you pulling on those turns? or are you simply eyeballing it?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

HP OMEN 880-130 - Windows 10/Intel Core i7-8700K/2TB HDD/ 1TB SSD/32GB DDR4 RAM/GTX 1080 Ti

NEP.LOX _LOIM-IC_ _LOBAR_ C

Not enough power on the low start to underline low in the middle to in-close to underline low flat at the ramp, cut pass 1 wire.

If you’re ever low, get the ball above the datums. Never settle for being low, it’s dangerous. A center ball and you only have 10’ of clearance coming across the ramp, be low and you’re cutting into that small safety net. Catch a hard sinker off the burble and you’re in for a bad day.

At the 180 you should be 600’. Start the turn with the hornet V (tips of the VV on the horizon in the hud) to get about 27-30* AOB and ~200fpm descent rate. At the 90 you’re looking to be 500’ agl and that’s the first point you look otside to see if you’re undershooting/overshooting. Being the VV down to 500ish Tom down to cross the wake at 370’, and then lining up with the carrier box with a creaster ball. Move the ball up, then slowly bring it down to on the datums at touchdown. If the ball is anywhere above the datums visible and stable (not rising fast) you’ll still trap.

Edited by ttaylor0024

Great stuff! I'm not good enough myself to grade you on the technical stuff but I did see the sink and power up right at the end :)

Nice one.

haha thanks man, ya you can see that big cloud of exhaust at 2:05 trying to stop that dip.

How do you get the LSO platform view?

The default key is mapped to "Lalt+f9" can be found under controls if you search for "landing safety officer" it'll bring up the binding

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

HP OMEN 880-130 - Windows 10/Intel Core i7-8700K/2TB HDD/ 1TB SSD/32GB DDR4 RAM/GTX 1080 Ti

NEP.LOX _LOIM-IC_ _LOBAR_ C

Not enough power on the low start to underline low in the middle to in-close to underline low flat at the ramp, cut pass 1 wire.

If you’re ever low, get the ball above the datums. Never settle for being low, it’s dangerous. A center ball and you only have 10’ of clearance coming across the ramp, be low and you’re cutting into that small safety net. Catch a hard sinker off the burble and you’re in for a bad day.

thats a great point. any tips for how to not drop when I come around into the groove from the 45? I feel like I always swing into it good but almost always end up low as I start the groove. did it in the video too I think.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

thats a great point. any tips for how to not drop when I come around into the groove from the 45? I feel like I always swing into it good but almost always end up low as I start the groove. did it in the video too I think.

I added a bit more flavor to my first post in this thread to help you out. When coming through the 45 you need to be transitioning from an instrument scan to a visual scan. Start looking at the ball and sight picture to visualize where you are on the approach. Rolling out in the groove will be a small power off (right now anyway because power off corrections are way exaggerated currently) during the wings level transition, then bring the power back on to stabilize yourself. Other than that, practice practice practice

I added a bit more flavor to my first post in this thread to help you out. When coming through the 45 you need to be transitioning from an instrument scan to a visual scan. Start looking at the ball and sight picture to visualize where you are on the approach. Rolling out in the groove will be a small power off (right now anyway because power off corrections are way exaggerated currently) during the wings level transition, then bring the power back on to stabilize yourself. Other than that, practice practice practice

thanks man, i'll take all that into my next case 1 practice. I'll probably have to pull like 300+ before i'm any good

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

thanks man, i'll take all that into my next case 1 practice. I'll probably have to pull like 300+ before i'm any good

It takes time. My advice- you can be your own LSO just by watching the ball. Wire doesn't matter much (in DCS you're targeting the 3 wire, but a little settle or too much power will change that). 1 wire is always bad on a 4 wire boat. It's going to be annoying at times but just keep at it.

I don't get that view I get a grey camera for line up that's in the deck?

oh i'm sorry I misread what you said. I thought u were asking for the camera. For the LSO view. I hit f9 to get the ship view. then I zoom in adjust until i'm in the LSO platform. (this part takes some playing around) and then once your in there how you like it, hit Lalt+f2. which locks you into the position. and then every time you come back to the ship view it will just snap to that camera you set up.

let me know if thats unclear I can make a 30 second video to show you.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]