My super Ghetto VR input solution

Hi all,

Some of you know that one of the main problem of playing in VR, is reaching the mouse. Some use a trackball or other solutions.

So far I was using my TM warthog MIC switch. (FWD=Left click;AFT=Right;Up=Mouse wheel up;Down= Mouse wheel down; Push = VR Zoom)

But recently I have been missing this switch to actualy use it has intended : for communication.

So I had to find another way to have buttons for emulating the mouse in easy reach.

So I created this monster :

IMG_20181101_152015.jpg?dl=0

AAOjg05BxMDQUX_rzNQ5vr83oFrL7KeZL1CfegZvsOoHlJQueLGFfbyuOOA6XAqPUXV2wFA1ucrWQrjcpfGjLZKZCbciTgf_L-tySvRg9r0kOQYq45AGG0qHy-W69qTZXapRos0LFLHEiQmPRnuE_gkVsuYqe54JqDDloHDJTxW7ua5H

It is very simple and very ugly, but so far it works.

When/If MilesD releases his finger pointer I am sure this thing will go right to the bin. But for the moment it serves me well.

Though, if I could somehow put a 'real' mouse wheel instead of two button it would be better. Because buttons emulating mouse wheel are not handled well in DCS, it makes scrolling often too slow.

Or if I could make wireless it would be even better. I might disassemble a cheap wireless mouse and use the internals to make this things wireless.

Maybe I could even add a fifth button for VR zoom. Or a 'nipple' pointer to be able to move the mouse around.

7bb3d355e3e46d446e357dc734ed5736.jpgbb75f3b6f2696913a5a70c2ef9c43160.jpgec3bfedadeba84745eb05440082ab63d.jpg

Edited by lucky-hendrix

now that is clever!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Amazing job.

However I would have used a modifier to double the MIC switch functions.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Amazing job.

Well I would have. But I didn't find an obvious button to act as a modifier. The warthog paddle came to mind; but it is used on the F/A-18C.

Plus when you use the MIC switch as a PPT for SRS, you can end up pressing it quite often, pressing the paddle switch at the same time gets old.

pic?

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Pics should be back. Not sure why they disappeared

From what my browser's inspector says, it looks like you're embedding Dropbox preview thumbnails. Those probably only last a short time at the URL where they're generated before disappearing.

It might be more reliable to just put links to the files on Dropbox instead... not as streamlined as embedded ones, but better than nothing, as they seem to be gone again already.

I've been having this same problem with VR, and am curious what you came up with as a solution, so looking forward to seeing those. :)

Amazing job.

Is this possible when you bind “gameplay” commands like vr zoom, mouse, etc? Because with a modifier it seems to overwrite the aircraft controls, even with the modifier not pressed. If there is a way around this I would like to know :(.

Is this possible when you bind “gameplay” commands like vr zoom, mouse, etc? Because with a modifier it seems to overwrite the aircraft controls, even with the modifier not pressed. If there is a way around this I would like to know :(.

Unfortunately it is impossible to use a modifier with btn assigned in "UI layer" :/

Perhaps another possibility would be to use this,

https://kano.me/store/us/products/motion-sensor-kit?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyoHE_efJ3gIVDJyzCh3lowy9EAAYASAAEgKuw_D_BwE

Anyone can make and play with the Motion Sensor Kit - big and small, young and young at heart. It’s our simplest, most affordable coding kit yet. Wave your hand and make magic

Using the app, this may behave as a mouse!

Or?

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

Unfortunately it is impossible to use a modifier with btn assigned in "UI layer" :/

Odd because I use paddle and WH CMS switch as LMB, RMB, Scroll Up/Down, Re-center VR with no issues.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

It seems, at least for me it is possible to use any key with ui commands. But it will override any aircraft commands. Even if I use ui as normal command and the other with a modifier. Hence, any key with ui is useless and lost for any aircraft command. I had to make a button box because of this limitation :cry:.

It seems, at least for me it is possible to use any key with ui commands. But it will override any aircraft commands. Even if I use ui as normal command and the other with a modifier. Hence, any key with ui is useless and lost for any aircraft command. I had to make a button box because of this limitation :cry:.

With or without a modifier?

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

This idea made me look at my small wireless Logitech M185 mouse that I never use. I wonder if I get another one and take it apart, I could attach it's buttons to a glove and move my thumb over the laser to move the mouse and then click.

I see BestBuy has them for $9.99. I could switch the original off and the glove on. Worth a look I think...

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

This idea made me look at my small wireless Logitech M185 mouse that I never use. I wonder if I get another one and take it apart, I could attach it's buttons to a glove and move my thumb over the laser to move the mouse and then click.

I see BestBuy has them for $9.99. I could switch the original off and the glove on. Worth a look I think...

Yep, I have ordered a cheap wireless mouse. On Amazon will try to make the thing wireless

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Sweet product man. I gotta get off my arse and do what your doing.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

If I use a ui key with or without modifier, nothing else works in that same key. It overrides them.

Something is a miss with your install then. That issue was resolved last year or so. With the A-10C and F/A-18C modules, I use my CMS switch for CMS functions. I then use the paddle (modifier), and CMS to interact with sim e.g. RMB, LMB, Scroll, Zoom, recenter. Neither mapping overrides the other, both still function correctly. Sounds like you have a bad install, or worse keep dragging in an old input folder on each patch.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Something is a miss with your install then. That issue was resolved last year or so. With the A-10C and F/A-18C modules, I use my CMS switch for CMS functions. I then use the paddle (modifier), and CMS to interact with sim e.g. RMB, LMB, Scroll, Zoom, recenter. Neither mapping overrides the other, both still function correctly. Sounds like you have a bad install, or worse keep dragging in an old input folder on each patch.

Thanks for confirming this should work. Ill do some testing. :thumbup:

Hmm... that's a good idea. Personally I hate the feeling of gloves, but my desk isn't too far in front of my throttle, so I might be able to rig up a similar thing off the side of it. Have to give that a try some day and see how it works.

• 3 weeks later...