Night Time Nylon Hose Effect

DigitalEngine

Could someone take the trouble to explain to a computer nincompoop like me how to install Kegety's mod? It seems like a fantastic bit of work.

However I downloaded it and took a look at the readme. I opened up DCS in file explorer and for the life of me I can't find any sign of the folders and files he mentions. I can get bazar and shaders, but that's as far as I can identify anything.

I'm not the brightest when it comes to messing with stuff round the back. One mention of .lua and my eyes cross and glaze over.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Installing the mod is not a difficult thing to do when you're familiar with working with directories and .lua files. However my recommendation is that you get on comms with someone and have them walk you through it the first time. Unless you use a mod installer you'll have to re-install the mod each time there is a DCS update. You don't want to make a mistake and corrupt your DCS installation which can be fixed by doing a repair but why go through that!

I have Discord installed and would be happy to help you over live comms. I can be on comms later tonight between 03:00 and 05:00 UTC. Here is the Discord invitation: expired

If tonight doesn't work for you send me a PM when you can...

Edited by fitness88

Installing the mod is not a difficult thing to do when you're familiar with working with directories and .lua files. However my recommendation is that you get on comms with someone and have them walk you through it the first time. Unless you use a mod installer you'll have to re-install the mod each time there is a DCS update. You don't want to make a mistake and corrupt your DCS installation which can be fixed by doing a repair but why go through that!

I have Discord installed and would be happy to help you over live comms. I can be on comms later tonight between 03:00 and 05:00 UTC. Here is the Discord invitation: expired

If tonight doesn't work for you send me a PM when you can...

Thanks for the offer Fit, however being SP only, I have neither teamspeak or simple radio. Also never did discord.

3am! Are you mad? :D. Hopefully I would be pushing Zs out then.

Really appreciate the offer though. :)

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Could someone take the trouble to explain to a computer nincompoop like me how to install Kegety's mod?

I'll have a go.

Download the file from: http://junk.kegetys.fi/DCS%20VR%20Shaders%20performance%20mod%20for%202.5.3.21107.zip

This is the readme from the file, I have expanded on some parts (bold)

Install:

- Backup your Bazar/shaders directory (but keep the files in place)

This is in your DCS main game directory, which you would have chosen on installation. Within it there is a Bazar folder, within that folder there is a folder "shaders" - make a copy of that folder in the same location.

- Extract files from this zip, overwriting the existing files

From the zip file go into the Bazar folder and copy the shaders folder from there to overwrite the shaders folder in your DCS installation directory. Say yes to overwrite any files / folders.

- Remove terrain metacaches. For example:

Mods\terrains\Caucasus\misc\metacache\dcs

Mods\terrains\Nevada\misc\metacache\dcs

Mods\terrains\???\misc\metacache\dcs

rename those directories to dcs.old or similar. This ensures

the metashaders will be recompiled correctly.

The Mods folder is also in your main DCS directory. Just rename the dcs folders as stated above, note that this will depend on which theaters you have insstalled.

- Delete files from C:\Users\<user>\Saved Games\DCS\fxo and metashaders2

I recommend you do this even though it's not specified in the readme. <user> is your Windows user name.

- Run DCS World. The shaders will be compiled as they are used

for the first time, so first startup and loading of mission will

take a while (can be 10 minutes or more). While playing you can

also see some stutters when new shaders are compiling for the

first time.

As stated, be patient as it can take a while

- Performance should be better, especially in VR.

It was 25% for me (I use MSAA).

Uninstall:

- Restore Bazar/shaders backup

- Restore terrain metacaches

directories.

I usually undo the changes when a new update is released by ED, just to be safe, update DCS, then reapply the mod again. Since you backed up everything during installation, it's just a case of undoing what was done above.

If I've been unclear or you need more help, just post again.

Edited by Hippo

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Once installed, with Rift you'll probably find you get a distortion around the edges that needs correcting:

** If you see an area around your peripheral vision rendered incorrectly open Bazar\shaders\deferred\_HMD.hlsl and increase the MASKSIZE value. The default is optimized for HTC Vive.

You need to edit the file (in your DCS folder) mentioned above, near the top is has the following line:

#define MASKSIZE 0.525f // change this to adjust the size of the mask, 0.525f seems to be ok for the Vive

change it to this:

#define MASKSIZE 0.6f

0.6 I think worked for me, and I'm going from memory, someone else will advise if I've got it wrong.

I think that people have had problems using notepad to do this. I use notepad++ myself - https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v7.6.html

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Thanks for the offer Fit, however being SP only, I have neither teamspeak or simple radio. Also never did discord.

3am! Are you mad? :D. Hopefully I would be pushing Zs out then.

Really appreciate the offer though. :)

That was 3am Zulu time, I'm -5hrs UTC...10pm my time.

Good luck!

I'll have a go.

Download the file from: http://junk.kegetys.fi/DCS%20VR%20Shaders%20performance%20mod%20for%202.5.3.21107.zip

This is the readme from the file, I have expanded on some parts (bold)

Install:

- Backup your Bazar/shaders directory (but keep the files in place)

This is in your DCS main game directory, which you would have chosen on installation. Within it there is a Bazar folder, within that folder there is a folder "shaders" - make a copy of that folder in the same location.

- Extract files from this zip, overwriting the existing files

From the zip file go into the Bazar folder and copy the shaders folder from there to overwrite the shaders folder in your DCS installation directory. Say yes to overwrite any files / folders.

- Remove terrain metacaches. For example:

Mods\terrains\Caucasus\misc\metacache\dcs

Mods\terrains\Nevada\misc\metacache\dcs

Mods\terrains\???\misc\metacache\dcs

rename those directories to dcs.old or similar. This ensures

the metashaders will be recompiled correctly.

The Mods folder is also in your main DCS directory. Just rename the dcs folders as stated above, note that this will depend on which theaters you have insstalled.

I recommend you do this even though it's not specified in the readme. <user> is your Windows user name.

- Run DCS World. The shaders will be compiled as they are used

for the first time, so first startup and loading of mission will

take a while (can be 10 minutes or more). While playing you can

also see some stutters when new shaders are compiling for the

first time.

As stated, be patient as it can take a while

- Performance should be better, especially in VR.

It was 25% for me (I use MSAA).

Uninstall:

- Restore Bazar/shaders backup

- Restore terrain metacaches

directories.

I usually undo the changes when a new update is released by ED, just to be safe, update DCS, then reapply the mod again. Since you backed up everything during installation, it's just a case of undoing what was done above.

If I've been unclear or you need more help, just post again.

I thought he wanted to install Kegety's sRGB gamma fix for DCS World mod?

I thought he wanted to install Kegety's sRGB gamma fix for DCS World mod?

Er... ahem... yeah... I thought that might be the case after I'd posted. Still, pretty similar procedure. Same difference... or whatever.

This results from me:

- reading too many threads at once

- not being too bright

Really, sorry for any confusion.

Er... ahem... yeah... I thought that might be the case after I'd posted. Still, pretty similar procedure. Same difference... or whatever.

This results from me:

- reading too many threads at once

- not being too bright

Really, sorry for any confusion.

It's all good!

While looking at something else, I noticed a problem in how the game applies sRGB color space conversion that almost certainly is causing this issue (or at least making it much worse). I made a mod that should fix it, see my site for some more info & download.

With that, using the HTC Vive, the nights look much better and properly dark :).

Finally got around to testing this. Note that I am on Rift. I think it is a great improvement. I usually run on a gamma of 1.6 - previous to your mod I had to bring it down to 1.3 to get the sky to "go black". What this meant was that lights on the ground were a lot darker.

With your mod I get a black sky at 2.2, which means lights on the ground are much brighter, which is a great improvement. THANK YOU for all your efforts.

Can't understand why some get positive results and others not. The article I got it from seemed to show good results as well.
I also tried turning off SPUD again. It definitely removed the Mura, but also seems to give a pinkish hue to some colours. It's noticeable on the "beams" on the hangar roof in the main menu screen, and also on ground lights at night. It's hard to say for sure, but I also feel that blacks are no longer as black (again seen on beams on hangar roof). The thing about Mura is that it only appears to be noticeable when the entire screen is black, so when looking forward it's not too bad, only becomes awful when looking up or to the sides.

Even with all that, there remain problems. Ground textures can still be seen when they should be black; and there don't seem to be enough shades available with the result that they look blocky / banded, which looks terrible. Same thing when looking at the wings.

Still, getting there... I suspect that E D would have to make substantial changes specifically for VR to improve the night environment, which is quite a big ask.

Edited by Hippo

While looking at something else, I noticed a problem in how the game applies sRGB color space conversion that almost certainly is causing this issue (or at least making it much worse). I made a mod that should fix it, see my site for some more info & download.

With that, using the HTC Vive, the nights look much better and properly dark :).

Thank you Kegetys!!

When I first read your post I was thinking your were referring to your "VR Shader performance mod for DCS World".

I just now notice it's a different mod "sRGB gamma fix for DCS World".

Hopefully I can get to testing it out tonight, if not soon.

I'll edit my original post to include a link to your mod page tonight though.

Again Thank you!! :)

Still, getting there... I suspect that E D would have to make substantial changes specifically for VR to improve the night environment, which is quite a big ask.

I thinking/hoping we'll get that with the Vulkan implementation, as per Wags post. I'm assuming the shaders are something to do with this?

Edited by DigitalEngine

CPU = Intel i7-6700K

Motherboard = ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero Alpha, w/ the Intel Z170 Chipset,

RAM = 64 Gigs of Ripjaws V F4-3400C16Q.

GPU = Zotac GTX980ti Amp Extreme

Hard-drive = Samsung V-NAD SSD 950 PRO M.2

Has something been changed in the last (ED beta) update? Flying the same mission I based my comments (above) on, I find the terrain textures are now black. Much, much improved from last week.

I've been making quite a few changes on my PC and testing recently, so it could well be something I've done. Possibly shaders not recompiling?

Edited by Hippo

After deciding that personally I prefer to have SPUD turned on (for the reasons I mentioned above), I had a look around on the internet and tried the following:

• Stop Oculus service (net stop ovrservice)
  • Delete the files in %localappdata%\Oculus\Spud (Always back up just in case).
  • Start Oculus service (net start ovrservice)

The files are downloaded again, and one was slightly different.

It could very well be a placebo and wishful thinking, but I'd swear that the Mura is not as bad as it was. A reboot might be necessary before the change kicks in.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to trying kegetys "sRGB gamma fix for DCS World".

This mod still works with both the Release version (2.5.3.23225) and the OpenBeta (2.5.3.24984) as of the date of this post.

Kegetys mod does make it really pitch black when on a new moon night. And the lighting appears clearer and somewhat crisper, that is the instruments, stars, object lighting, etc.

But it appears there are still 2 issues I'm seeing. One is I'm still seeing "the nighttime nylon hose effect", which I really don't see in other apps. It does appears Kegetys mod mitigates this effect, somewhat. And this could still be all or partly a "mura effect", maybe. :dunno:

Second is that the canopies and windscreens really appear to be darkly tinted when at night, very noticeably cutting down the vision outside. This can be seen best by looking out at the adjacent ramp pavement while opening and closing the canopies (tested the two freebie modules only so far).

Edited by DigitalEngine

CPU = Intel i7-6700K

Motherboard = ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero Alpha, w/ the Intel Z170 Chipset,

RAM = 64 Gigs of Ripjaws V F4-3400C16Q.

GPU = Zotac GTX980ti Amp Extreme

Hard-drive = Samsung V-NAD SSD 950 PRO M.2

• 3 weeks later...

That mod make night time look much better for me but I still get all the banding issues when the sun is setting & rising. It's a shame as most of the sunset/rise is very nice just the transition from low light to night & visa versa is very ugly.

Still not sure what you mean by 'nylon hose effect' though but i see far less noise/mura than before.

Win 10 64//4.5g i7 Kaby Lake//gtx Titan x pascal//16gb 3200ram//Asus Maximux Hero IX//Oculus Rift//

• 3 weeks later...