The channel and teh Normandy

mastershotgun

Both maps will be separate modules and thus it will not be possible to fly from one to the other. Apparently they will overlap a little, in the northern part of current Normandy map, but the ED's map is going to have this overlapped area somewhat more detailed and populated than Ugra's one. That's what we've been told so far.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Both maps will be separate modules and thus it will not be possible to fly from one to the other. Apparently they will overlap a little, in the northern part of current Normandy map, but the ED's map is going to have this overlapped area somewhat more detailed and populated than Ugra's one. That's what we've been told so far.

I see, thank you for your note...

I'm wondering how the pland labeled as "Whole World (Planned)" with the target "202?" looks like... If they even started or something... It sounds like lots of data for offline map, isn't it?

That depends on mission creation - for a mission that starts in the west and progresses to Dieppe - can't be done on the Normandy map now.

Likewise, can't be done on the Channel map obviously.

I think for the Normandy map we have to accept that anything north and west of the L'Harve-Rouen-Evreux arc doesn't exist and build missions accordingly.

Shame really - Dieppe is far enough away from the edge of the map that the end of detail is not that jarring (IIRC - been a few weeks since I was bombing around there in game).

Well, but this would make the Normaddie map redudant/obsolete, wouldn't be?

That will not cover the same area. Dieppe is not on the current Normandy map, it is just terrain and random trees, like Crimea on the Caucuses map.

Having Dieppe on the Channel Map will not make the Normandy Map redundant. The Channel Map will not include the landing beaches and ALGs I understand.

What will make the Normandy Map less popular will be the better airfields in the Channel Map if the pictures released so far are a true indication of the map.

EDIT: Based on new information from Spudnocker's video

of the new Channel Map, it is just the top right corner of the map in higher detail. Spudnocker measured the detailed area diagonally at ~ 166nm which makes it ~91nm x 91nm; the smallest map yet and very tiny for the P-47D which could fly back and forth several times across the map on internal fuel only.

So I still don't think it will make the Normandy Map redundant, but I'm not sure what use this new one will be.

Edited by 71st_AH Rob

That will not cover the same area. Dieppe is not on the current Normandy map, it is just terrain and random trees, like Crimea on the Caucuses map.

Having Dieppe on the Channel Map will not make the Normandy Map redundant. The Channel Map will not include the landing beaches and ALGs I understand.

What will make the Normandy Map less popular will be the better airfields in the Channel Map if the pictures released so far are a true indication of the map.

That and radar and v1 sites on the map to blast with 50 cals :thumbup:

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

The Channel Map is farther north, as well, the UK side will be as equally as highly detailed as the French side, unlike the Normandy map. It will be a good map for a long time to come I believe.

It isn't actually further north. As seen in the videos just released, it is just the top right corner of the Normandy Map ~91nm x 91mn. Tiny by WWII standards.

I will delete or maybe better correct my previous post based on new information, vs what I understood from previous descriptions of the Map.

Seriously underwhelmed at the videos. A tiny map. No East Anglia. No low countries. The map is carpet green with a couple of yellow wheat fields and the water and coastline looks tropical. What did look good was the airfields and population centres.

It can not model BoB well due to lack of relevant aircraft and London missing.

I can model 1942 cross channel raids on a tiny scale (Albeit without proper bases- especially for Americans).

It cannot model 1944-45, in a good sense, since the Germans were in full retreat after Normandy and set up new lines in the Low countries.

This is a missed opportunity and looks very dissapointing I am very sad to say, and their desicion making as hard to grasp.

Why not move the map north and east- include the tip of east anglia and the low countries at least? That would provide a new region, a solid 44 scenario (Market Garden ++) and proper bases for American Fighters and bombers. (And don't talk about size, it would not need to be bigger as the most would be water where the channel is wider).

This map is good for quasi historical airquakes around the Cliffs of Dover. As a huge DCS fan and WW2 nut, I am sad and dissapointed. This was the last thing we needed after all the years in agony with the deeply flawed Normandy map.

Wow the drama, looks to be the most detailed map and will be a treat for ww2. Not even released yet and i find it hard to judge exact size from some quick snippets of f10 view of very few videos that are out. First impression is it may be smaller but very high detail i appreciate that more than a huge map and crap detail like some other sim's mistake...

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

Being a complete slut for new maps, I care less whether it's small and much more about the detail. ORBX makes some FSX scenery/airfields that are only a few kilometer squares, but the detail is insane and the scenery is very enjoyable. If this map brings the detail level up then I am happy to excuse the small size of it.

To be honest, I would be happy to pay a few bucks for HD airfields.

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

Not even released yet and i find it hard to judge exact size from some quick snippets of f10 view of very few videos that are out. First impression is it may be smaller but very high detail i appreciate that more than a huge map and crap detail like some other sim's mistake...

We have a very good idea of the size, Spudnocker measures it around 6:30 in his video at 166.xxxx NM diagonal in both directions. Assuming it is square as he said, it is around 91nm wide and high.

Do you feel that the Caucasus map traded detail for size? Curious.

I quite like the Bodenplatte map and think that they struck a good compromise between detail size and performance.

• ED Team
We have a very good idea of the size, Spudnocker measures it around 6:30 in his video at 166.xxxx NM diagonal in both directions. Assuming it is square as he said, it is around 91nm wide and high.

I quite like the Bodenplatte map and think that they struck a good compromise between detail size and performance.

Your math is off on the size, it's roughly 133 nm wide and about the same tall. These are the detailed areas, no large undetailed space has been added as of yet as our other maps have.

Thanks.

attachment.php?attachmentid=237953&stc=1&d=1590965460

Map-Area.thumb.jpg.8df2662c937a0a96bc8d64a2b9b38690.jpg

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• ED Team
It isn't actually further north. As seen in the videos just released, it is just the top right corner of the Normandy Map ~91nm x 91mn. Tiny by WWII standards.

I will delete or maybe better correct my previous post based on new information, vs what I understood from previous descriptions of the Map.

See above, not sure where you are getting your measurements from, but they are not based on anything I have seen. As well, that is farther north of the detailed area of Normandy.

Edited by NineLine

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Dear Nineline,

As i am from Belgium , Antwerp area, could you post some map pics from Belgium which is in The Channel map , i can see it will include Brugge ? (Bruges)

Is it detailed as France and East England ?

thank you very much if possible to advice

brgds Maks

New maps looks great, absolutely fantastic. The details I have seen on the videos are amazing. It will be great for WW2 and the size will be fine. Its good that there is a mix of features which allow it to be used for modern aircraft but retain its WW2 priority.

I think there is a little overlap with Normandy but clearly separate areas, and very different products. Great job ED!

Wow the drama, looks to be the most detailed map and will be a treat for ww2. Not even released yet and i find it hard to judge exact size from some quick snippets of f10 view of very few videos that are out. First impression is it may be smaller but very high detail i appreciate that more than a huge map and crap detail like some other sim's mistake...

I absolutely agree! Bigger area is always welcome, but in the end I prefer quality before quantity.

You are obviously lucky, to not see repetitive pattern. Good for you. Bodenplatte is a copy&paste map. Normandy was also much copy&paste. Hmmm, I wonder why.... The last update changed this fortunately so much, that it is a good playable map now. Before that it was really annoying to see the same field-pattern over and over the map. And those snakelike curved forrests.. ugly... England is still that way.

Persian Gulf has also these pattern, but luckily not so extreme.

Your math is off on the size, it's roughly 133 nm wide and about the same tall. These are the detailed areas, no large undetailed space has been added as of yet as our other maps have.

Thanks.

Thanks Norm

This new map looks fantastic already, from what is visible in the preview videos.

Kudos to ED!

Fox

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3