Operation Snowfox - Persian Gulf PvE Playground

Just another day of typical Harrier then.

Yeahsad.gif I give you that...Thanks anyway.

Win 7 64bits Sp1; Panda Dome; i7 2600k 3,4gh OC 4,5; 16gb 4x1333 DDR3; Gigabyte GTX1080ti stock clocks; ASUS P8Z68V; OS and DCS on SDD 240gb 2,5"; 500gb HDD; cooler master silent pro 1000w; Track IR 5; Saitek X52; Saitek pro Combat rudder; 2560 x 1440

Hi again,

Glad we have another great mission Surrexen! Nevada will be very fun aswell.

Despite the advices on how to spawn the Harrier in multiplayer/clients missions I've read on the forums, anyone worked for me. Doing a bit of trial and error, I found this:

1-Put a flight of two (not tested but prety sure two or more works aswell)

2-Rus the mission and select one of them, no matter which one.

3-The annoying "your flight has delayed" appears.

4-Select "change slot" and try the other one and joystick.gif

That works for me.

Happy New Year for all.

Win 7 64bits Sp1; Panda Dome; i7 2600k 3,4gh OC 4,5; 16gb 4x1333 DDR3; Gigabyte GTX1080ti stock clocks; ASUS P8Z68V; OS and DCS on SDD 240gb 2,5"; 500gb HDD; cooler master silent pro 1000w; Track IR 5; Saitek X52; Saitek pro Combat rudder; 2560 x 1440

Hi again,

Glad we have another great mission Surrexen! Nevada will be very fun aswell.

Despite the advices on how to spawn the Harrier in multiplayer/clients missions I've read on the forums, anyone worked for me. Doing a bit of trial and error, I found this:

1-Put a flight of two (not tested but prety sure two or more works aswell)

2-Rus the mission and select one of them, no matter which one.

3-The annoying "your flight has delayed" appears.

4-Select "change slot" and try the other one and joystick.gif

That works for me.

Happy New Year for all.

Happy new year!

Operation Black Spire (Nevada) is already live, check it out.

When/if the Harrier gets fixed I'll consider adding the Tarawa to the East side of the peninsula.

Might be a while before I get to do any work on anything, xmas period is insane for me.

I have tried a few different methods of removing the background music for the magnum sound to no avail. Another user has sent me sounds for magnum launches but they are taken from another simulation that shall not be named and as a result I cannot use them without causing grief and mass hysteria.

Unless an adequate substitute can be found, then I may just take out the magnum sound in the next build.

Meanwhile, thank you daarseth for having my back it's appreciated!

I made this sound file myself and you're welcome to use it or edit it if you like. Or send me any changes you would like and I'd be happy to help. Great job!!

Magnum.zip

I made this sound file myself and you're welcome to use it or edit it if you like. Or send me any changes you would like and I'd be happy to help. Great job!!

I had considered making something like this myself but I didn't think I would get away with it as it would sound too Australian :music_whistling:. I don't suppose you could make a couple more like this but have the dialogue like this ...

1. "Target locked, Magnum"

2. "Locked onto radar signal, Magnum"

Also is it possible to reduce the fuzzy radio static sound a little to make it match more closely to the Rifle 1.ogg sound or Pickle 1.ogg sound? If that can be done it would be awesome :thumbup:

Meanwhile, Mariana Islands .... interesting possibilities.

Question for those of you that fly Harrier's ... what would be the preferred air to ground loadout when launching from the Tarawa?

Edit: Nevermind. Tarawa will be in the next Snowfox update along with 2x Harrier's launching from it. To get around some limitations/bugs with the Tarawa that people have mentioned, the 2 Harrier's will have to be runway starts from position 3 and 4. This will mean if there are 2 Harrier pilots planning on launching from the Tarawa at the same time you will need to coordinate between yourselves or potentially have a collision. Doing a rolling start from the Tarawa from runway position 3 and 4 appears to be perfectly do-able with a full load (something I learnt today in discord, thanks @mcflyjr!). Anyway, that's what is coming. I will see if I can jiggy it up so that the Tarawa has it's own missile defence zone similar to the Stennis.

Edited by Surrexen
I am bad at Harrier.

Hey ho,

Question: is it possible to weaken the CAP power of the enemy?

There are quite a lot of enemy fighters airborne and I wonder, if we can change that, persitently, by striking airfields.

If so, what elements do we need to destroy? Fuel & Ammo, runway, ... ?

Alias in Discord: Mailman

Hey ho,

Question: is it possible to weaken the CAP power of the enemy?

There are quite a lot of enemy fighters airborne and I wonder, if we can change that, persitently, by striking airfields.

If so, what elements do we need to destroy? Fuel & Ammo, runway, ... ?

In my experience (as a solo player who wants to focus on A2G missions) that the enemy caps will eventually overwhelm you in time even when you enable the friendly carrier, airfields caps and bring fighter support to your area of activity.

I think the question was asked before and I dont think the airfields are destroyable nor persistent so I don’t think that’s a means of reducing enemy AirPower.

In my case I actually went in and edited the “airdefenses.lua” mission file (in the .miz mission file) to disable 4 of the 6 enemy airfield caps and increased the respawn rate of the 2 remaining cap airfields to like 30 minutes. It’s definitely helped... depending on which airfields caps you disable you can semi-tailor what air threats you’ll deal with but if you have a long transit to your target in say the A-10C you’ll be sweating some enemy threats and running for home eventually. The problem with these edits is you need to make them every time the mission is updated sooooooo

Would be GREAT :smilewink: if Surrexen could add user adjustable triggers/flags enabling/disabling the various enemy caps to dial up/down the volume of threats without the need to edit the files directly in a future iteration. Just a thought! :thumbup:

i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS ROG Z390 MAXIMUS XI HERO, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB, 32GB DDR4 @ 3866MHZ, 1TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, 1TB WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD, Oculus Rift S

If you change the flag for ground starts the enemy cap can be stopped by bombing airfields. They won’t taxi or takeoff into a bomb crater. I made trigger zones on all the runways I want to stop and then trigger an explosion with a radio command. Puts that airfield out of service. Also it helped to edit the weapon load outs of the enemy units that spawn. They are on the map in the upper right portion of the map I believe. Take away the radar missies and lower them from Random to average good.

All this really helps keep the enemy caps in control else like you say I’m constantly swarmed with enemy cap aircraft.

The other problem I fixed was having the user generated CAP flights return to different airports. Changed the landing waypoint. They ALL are trying to return to Kashab which is a restricted airport in that landings and takeoffs happen opposite directions. I’ve seen the AI jammed up trying to land orbiting with gear down, go around repeat for the entire time I’m in the mission. And you can’t spawn a new flight until they finally do land.

PC

i7 7700k

Gigabyte Z270

MSI GTX 1070

32gb DDR4

500gb EVO 850 SSD DCS

500gb EVO 960 NVMe SSD Windows

I had considered making something like this myself but I didn't think I would get away with it as it would sound too Australian :music_whistling:. I don't suppose you could make a couple more like this but have the dialogue like this ...

1. "Target locked, Magnum"

2. "Locked onto radar signal, Magnum"

Also is it possible to reduce the fuzzy radio static sound a little to make it match more closely to the Rifle 1.ogg sound or Pickle 1.ogg sound? If that can be done it would be awesome :thumbup:

Meanwhile, Mariana Islands .... interesting possibilities.

Not hard to do. I'll get on it!

If you change the flag for ground starts the enemy cap can be stopped by bombing airfields. They won’t taxi or takeoff into a bomb crater. I made trigger zones on all the runways I want to stop and then trigger an explosion with a radio command. Puts that airfield out of service. Also it helped to edit the weapon load outs of the enemy units that spawn. They are on the map in the upper right portion of the map I believe. Take away the radar missies and lower them from Random to average good.

All this really helps keep the enemy caps in control else like you say I’m constantly swarmed with enemy cap aircraft.

The other problem I fixed was having the user generated CAP flights return to different airports. Changed the landing waypoint. They ALL are trying to return to Kashab which is a restricted airport in that landings and takeoffs happen opposite directions. I’ve seen the AI jammed up trying to land orbiting with gear down, go around repeat for the entire time I’m in the mission. And you can’t spawn a new flight until they finally do land.

Bombing the airfields generally breaks the air dispatcher, causing the enemy planes not to take off, or not attack anything. It's a limitation of the AI.

Bombing the airfields generally breaks the air dispatcher, causing the enemy planes not to take off, or not attack anything. It's a limitation of the AI.

But this is only the case for the current active session though right? i.e. damage inflicted to airfields is not persistent so next time you fire up the mission you’d need to re-bomb the airfields again right?

i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS ROG Z390 MAXIMUS XI HERO, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB, 32GB DDR4 @ 3866MHZ, 1TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, 1TB WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD, Oculus Rift S

But this is only the case for the current active session though right? i.e. damage inflicted to airfields is not persistent so next time you fire up the mission you’d need to re-bomb the airfields again right?

Yes that is correct. Damage to airfields is not persistent.

The thought that you guys intentionally want to risk breaking the air dispatcher is pretty much hurting my brain :megalol:

Whilst testing something else I found there might be an issue with the road outpost mission in Bandar Abbas (near the underground missile storage). I might have to swap it over to the unit version of a road outpost instead of a static ... still investigating. Anybody ever had that mission and had a problem?

Anyway, Tarawa is up and running and has it's own 30km radius missile defence zone thing going on. Also the JF-17's various missiles have been added into the code for weapon firing sounds so using the LD-10 will trigger 'magnum' and C-701's will trigger 'rifle' etc etc. Weapon firing code has been injected into Black Spire and Clear Field. Naming conventions for Snowfox and Clear Field have also been updated for the next version. Got some other things I want to check over before I commit all changes.

Not very often that I actually get to just fly in my mission but today had good fun testing the JF-17 to check the weapon firing sounds and had a blast with it taking on targets around Seerik (Tank and Artillery busting), Bandar Abbas (the above road outpost mission) and taking out the transport helo at Minab. Lost 1 JF-17 due to not paying attention to sneaky MiG's. Got payback later by manoeuvre killing a MiG-21 into the drink.

Edit: Also for the Mariana's ... I'm thinking Operation Sea Slug .... change my mind?

Ran this yesterday with my group and we ran one of the strike mission on Abu Musa island that wanted us to destroy a bunker (IIRC) and we pretty much wiped the entire island of targets but never received a new mission

LEGS - JTF-13

Ran this yesterday with my group and we ran one of the strike mission on Abu Musa island that wanted us to destroy a bunker (IIRC) and we pretty much wiped the entire island of targets but never received a new mission

Ok thanks yeah I've been able to replicate this now. Will work on a fix.

Edit: Fixed internally will get updates to all missions out as soon as I can. Thanks again.

Edited by Surrexen

v121 is up

Changelog v121

- Critical fix in mission target status script

- LHA-1 Tarawa added, Tacan 75X Radio Freq: 128.000Mhz AM

- 2x Harrier's added to Tarawa doing runway starts from positions 3 and 4 on the runway, be careful in multiplayer not to run over each other as I can't set these planes to start on a ramp

- F-14B Loadouts changed to 4x AIM-54A Mk60 2x Sparrow 2x Sidewinder instead of 6x AIM-54A Mk60

- Bukha oil field positions corrected

- Sid and Sic oil fields added

Edit: There were a few other things I was going to add in but the emergence of the script bug forced an update. Fixing the script and getting the update out obviously took priority.

Edited by Surrexen

Hi, first of all thank you very much for your fantastic missions :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

i only have a problem, when in multiplayer the option "target report" does not work, i mean that i can select it and ask for a report but i have no answer.

In single player it all works right.

L.C.

Hi, first of all thank you very much for your fantastic missions :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

i only have a problem, when in multiplayer the option "target report" does not work, i mean that i can select it and ask for a report but i have no answer.

In single player it all works right.

L.C.

I ran into something similar a few versions back. My issue was due to the two persistent files the missions writes to getting corrupted. I copied them out of the DCS root directory and ran the mission again, which created new empty files. I then copied the already destroyed targets into each file respectively, ran the mission and it worked.

I ran into something similar a few versions back. My issue was due to the two persistent files the missions writes to getting corrupted. I copied them out of the DCS root directory and ran the mission again, which created new empty files. I then copied the already destroyed targets into each file respectively, ran the mission and it worked.

That's very strange ... the only time I know of where target report will have an issue is when the target is a group of ships and you destroy one of the ships, but it is still in the process of 'sinking'. During that time it is unable to determine how many units are alive in the group, so the function doesn't run. Once the ship sinks it will work again as normal.

I haven't ever seen the persistency files break like that, doesn't sound like something I can do anything about.

Edit: Just jumped into dedicated server and the target report is working fine.

Edited by Surrexen

Just jumped into dedicated server and the target report is working fine.

If can be of any help it was not a dedicated server, and it happened two times on two, mobile sam the first time and industry second time. Once destroyed the targets i had confirmation of mission success and generation of the new mission.

If can be of any help it was not a dedicated server, and it happened two times on two, mobile sam the first time and industry second time. Once destroyed the targets i had confirmation of mission success and generation of the new mission.

Just fired it up again to host it normally, target report is fine for me. If you see it fail again can you use check current objective and tell me which target you are looking at? I've tried skip a few times to get different types of targets and I can get the report for all of them so far. When you ran into this issue were you the host?

Edited by Surrexen

If you see it fail again can you use check current objective and tell me which target you are looking at? I've tried skip a few times to get different types of targets and I can get the report for all of them so far. When you ran into this issue were you the host?

i clearly remember that the objective in the second time was the "oil processing facility" on Siri Island. :thumbup: