Air to air refueling...

Rhinozherous

Hello!

I noticed that the connection point for a2a refueling is quite a distance behind the cockpit... It comes to my mind that the boom operator has a lot to do with aiming that thing in.

As I am absolute no a2a expert, I wonder if this circumstance makes refueling the viper in DCS more easy or harder for us?

Thank you

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are two sets of guide lights on the underside of the tanker (UP/DWN .. FWD/AFT) which the pilot uses to hit the right point in space so the Boomer can hit the receptacle on the spine of the Viper.

Then you just have to pace the tanker per normal.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

There are two sets of guide lights on the underside of the tanker (UP/DWN .. FWD/AFT) which the pilot uses to hit the right point in space so the Boomer can hit the receptacle on the spine of the Viper.

I was wondering about those lights since they're practically invisible from the A-10 when tanking. I was curious if they even worked in DCS.

I was wondering about those lights since they're practically invisible from the A-10 when tanking. I was curious if they even worked in DCS.

They do, but I believe they are “prism-ed“ or specifically aimed for when you are further forward than where you park in a Warthog.

Try the F-15 sometime...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

Sadly, in VR they're impossible to read... At least they are in the CV1. Don't know about the Reverb, or Index.

Sadly, in VR they're impossible to read... At least they are in the CV1. Don't know about the Reverb, or Index.

I’ve successfully tanked quite a bit in the F-15 to see if I could do it in preparation for the Viper. The lights are very easy to read, see, use with the Rift S.

Honestly, all AAR is pretty easy, and boom AAR'ing even more so. Anyone who can AAR the F-15 and A-10 is already good to go for the Viper.

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

The same principle applies, though.

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

Yeah, about that boomer...

Is the lazy boom operator still the case in DCS? It's been a while, and now I am doing basket only... legitimate question, no stir intended.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Lazy? Dunno, I move in place, he plugs it in, I refuel...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cant be any worse than the Harrier...

Refueling that baby is a pain, i should know :joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005

My Rig: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD Ryzen7 2700X, G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200, EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming, Corsair HX850

The F-15 is harder to refuel then the F-16 will be, at least with the Viper you just align yourself centrally with the tanker and then follow the lights. NBD. The Viper also has a refuelling control rates mode which is activated by opening the refuel door which should help to reduce the twitchiness that some aircraft exhibit on the tanker.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Cant be any worse than the Harrier...

I don't get the problem with the Harrier - just memorize some visual cues once plugged in and the next times you just replicate these, done.

I don't get the problem with the Harrier - just memorize some visual cues once plugged in and the next times you just replicate these, done.

Everything is easy once you get to figure it out. In DCS is even a bit "simpler" as the basket somewhat "snaps" on the probe whereas IRL you either hit or miss (but you have a few different "cues" you can't really simulate in DCS, i.e. your body feeling the plane)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005

My Rig: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD Ryzen7 2700X, G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200, EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming, Corsair HX850

by far the easiest plane for me is the f15 because you purely fly on lights and you look naturally on the plane, not the chute or the boom. also for teaching its way easier than anything else. I don't have to remind the student all the time to look at the fuselage because you already do. I expect the f16 to be as easy as the 15.

Edited by whaaw

SFMBE

Yep, work just fine. In fact, when I'm tanking in the Hawg I sidestep just a bit to the right so I can use them as a reference. It really helps me hold the correct vertical position. Technique only.