2021 (and earlier) DCS Newsletter Discussion Thread

NineLine

On 1/11/2021 at 11:34 AM, Rikus said:

27" 1080p monitor see contacts big, but 27" 4K or even 2K it´s almost impossible to spot a bandit in dogfight at 2-3 miles. Some cases the bandit literally dissappear and appears...

Very true... 

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

DCS: AH-64 just got its own subforum.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

On 1/12/2021 at 2:16 PM, Gierasimov said:

Coders are good at coding. Not great at talking.

Great programmers are great in talking too. As they need to add well express themselves to others to sell their ideas.

Example Carmack is one that anyone could just listen when he talks about his work.

https://youtu.be/sXmY26pOE-Y

But if they do not get to talk about it, but they get ambushed by interviewers etc, it can get ugly and quickly as they can get same situations as anyone.

I know only one who can really get out of those situations and he is even politician.

The ED programmers discussion could be interesting, about their solutions to problems etc. But it would require interview that is pointed on that.

On 1/12/2021 at 1:23 PM, Northstar98 said:

Eh, DCS is still pretty poor at utilising CPUs effectively AFAIK, but hopefully Vulkan might sort that at.

I am actually waiting more results from the RTS department for Combined Arms.

As DCS runs now basically as single thread. It is evidence by itself that it can run player aircraft/cockpit simulation on one core better than need.

Problems start when we need to put every other processing in that same core.

Ground units, other air units, weapons, ballistics etc all are there to take away from main processing. Now put those to own cores and things should get far better.

It is odd how little they have been talking about these changes in newsletter and what they are using for tests etc.

• Like 2

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

On 1/12/2021 at 5:21 PM, Qiou87 said:

The game is using the CPU just fine, it is however mostly using a single core. You want the workload, especially everything related to the simulation (AIs, weapons, scripts, weather system...) to run on different threads so that no single core gets to 100%, but this is very difficult to achieve.

Actually that is very easy to achieve. It is not problematic at all to separate all heavy CPU using parts to own cores.

The problem is synchronization between them.

Like example, you can take a video player and start multiple instances playing 4K material and place each process to own cores, and it works great. You can do same by adding some music players.

But if you need to get those all synced so they play at the same time, it becomes more challenging.

So example we could have Blue ground forces on one core, Blue air forces on another. Red for third and fourth, player plane to fifth and all missiles and bullets to sixth.

Six cores doing great job as is. Easy to implement.

But how to sync when Blue fighter does shoot a red truck? Where did impacts go, was the unit actually there where fighter saw, or was it at some other location.

Splitting it and sync becomes like multiplayer games where all clients needs to be in understanding what happens. And in time critical situations like Client A shoots client B, it becomes challenging, especially if both have different network delay between server.

Difference really is that those others tasks would be possible be separated from one process and run them as standalone.

And as internal processing, sync differences would be minimal.

• Like 1

If you want to see the immediate benefits of running the game in multi cores, just run a headless DCS server on your own system, load up one of the heavier AI missions. Run DCS then connect to your own server in MP it should run a lot better. I do it all the time it makes a big difference.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

F-14B, F-16, F-18C, A-10C, F-5E, F-86, FC3, BF-109, FW-190, P-51, Spitfire, UH-1,AJS-37 Viggen, MIG-15, MIG-19, MIG-21, AV-8B Harrier, P-47D

Persian Gulf, Caucuses, NTTR, Normandy, The Channel, Syria

Combined Arms, WWII Assets,Super Carrier

TM Warthog, Virpil VFX,BuddyFox UFC, Saitek Pro Flight quadrant & Switch Panel, Odyssey+ VR, Jet Pad w/ SSA, Voice Attack w/Viacom Pro

GeForce RTX2080TI OC, Intel Core i7-7700K 4.5Ghz, 64GB DDR4, Dedicated 1TB SSD

1 hour ago, LASooner said:

If you want to see the immediate benefits of running the game in multi cores, just run a headless DCS server on your own system, load up one of the heavier AI missions. Run DCS then connect to your own server in MP it should run a lot better. I do it all the time it makes a big difference.

Great idea, you get to use two cores instead one....

4 hours ago, MiG21bisFishbedL said:

Really? Citing Carmack, a generational talent? There's also several language barriers here, as well.

I think he understands fluently multiple languages, so there likely isn't any barriers.

Be it a C, C++, C# or whatever, I believe he knows them all...

hey, so the part "an array of antitank guided missiles" in here means that ED is promising us both Phalanga and Shturm missiles, right? 😈👌

grafik.png

Edited by DanielNL
DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

The video is in russian? And why not on ED YouTube channel? Strange.

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

9 hours ago, DanielNL said:

The video is in russian? And why not on ED YouTube channel? Strange.

Nothing strange here. Stormbirds did an interview with Russian guy - why would they put it on ED or force it into english (which might just not be possible at all)?

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

35 minutes ago, draconus said:

Nothing strange here. Stormbirds did an interview with Russian guy - why would they put it on ED or force it into english (which might just not be possible at all)?

They could've simply placed (funny in some ways, but still mostly useful) english subtitles under the video, just like they did with this waaaay too few views - interesting Chizh interview... 😕

EDIT: oh wow, it has automatic subtitles, nice, will give it a try!

Edited by DanielNL

3 minutes ago, DanielNL said:

They could've simply placed (funny in some ways, but still mostly useful) english subtitles under the video, just like they did with this waaaay too few views - interesting Chizh interview... 😕

Maybe they could. Why don't you ask them then? It's ED's forum and newsletter topic just to remind you.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

On 1/14/2021 at 11:20 AM, wilbur81 said:

Very true... 

Well, there is a handy function built into your HMD that you can activate by pressing Shift + F10.  Your HMD will display data via the Datalink on all friend and foe within 10nm.  If you think that's amazing, DCS embeds this technology inside your pilot goggles if you fly  a WWII bird.  They use quantum tech to reach across the timestream for that, and the rest is a mystery. 🙂

• Like 1

On 1/16/2021 at 10:34 AM, LASooner said:

I tried that even with the server being on a different machine. Frames always end up down the drink that way, no joy at all... same as MP on the internet. Same map, noone there, a quarter or a third of the framerate. This really has to improve still.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

A very interesting newsletter today, looks like much of the Hornet improvements are coming, there's also a new US civilian ship, the Handy Wind, which looks like it could be useful on the SoH map. It also looks like this is being (at least somewhat) addressed.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

So 256 is coming, I thought we will switch to 2.5.7 after reading yearly newsletter. I guess I misunderstood 

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

4 minutes ago, ebabil said:

So 256 is coming, I thought we will switch to 2.5.7 after reading yearly newsletter. I guess I misunderstood 

We are on 2.5.6 for a while now. ED will skip 2.6.x and go directly to 2.7.x, i think you mixed that up.

Nice newsletter, i'm looking forward to the next patch.

• Like 1

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Ah ok. So this is not the big update that we have been waiting for. 

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

2 minutes ago, ebabil said:

No, but will probably be one of the last updates for DCS 2.5; I think the plan is to update straight to 2.7 some time in Q1/Q2 this year, which I assume will come with the new clouds.

System:

6 minutes ago, ebabil said:

Correct, from the 08.01.2021 newsletter:

"...In the first quarter of 2021, we will migrate to DCS World version 2.7. While it was planned to release 2.6 in the very beginning of the year, so many additional changes are in the works that we have decided to move directly to 2.7. But prior to this move, we will have one remaining update to version 2.5 that will include many improvements to DCS: F/A-18C Hornet...."

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

12 minuti fa, Desert Fox ha scritto:

Nice to see how much progress is made on the Hornet (bit selfish here because there's lots of tech that will be transferred to the Viper next 🙂 soon™)

On the Viper in 2023, maybe 

Meanwhile, we have the HyperHornet (Best Dogfighter Ever - Best Bomber Ever) and if you're flying the Viper and you're dogfight against it, the only thing that you can use to save your plane is speed, until your fuel is out.

I'm just kidding 😬😝

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, xRainbowKitty said:

Thanks for the Newsletter, ED! Really enjoyed yesterday's new video as well. And it's great to have a summary of all the latest videos in one place. Many players are very hppy about the heliport ship, but it's gonna be a difficult landing.

I have two questions though. Are all the things mentioned thee coming with the next patch that's announced for 27. January? Or later?

AFAIK, this upcoming patch is for 2.5.6, and should include expanded EW/CM modelling for the Hornet, including auto and semi-auto dispense modes, implementation of the jammer, and jamming effects on own RADAR.

It should also include the GMT and SEA modes for the RADAR.

8 minutes ago, xRainbowKitty said:

And will that be the 2.7 update already? I don't think so but many people seem to believe it.

Fairly sure 2.7 will be later, but aiming for Q1.

• Like 1

System:

1 hour ago, xRainbowKitty said:

...Really enjoyed yesterday's new video as well...🙂

What video?

• Like 1

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals