Gaming Chair - Recommendations?

On 8/6/2022 at 2:49 AM, WRAITH said:

Then the plan is to add a mod like the joy stick mounts by Monster Tech..........

monstertech_chair_mount_center_07-1-scal

Instead of this over priced rubbish ...............

Sorry for dropping in here with an incredibly noob-question but I found this through a search: I noticed the cables are neatly tucked away with that chair but I have always wondered how people manage to get their usb cords reach the desktop? Is there something like usb cable extensions or usb boxes? I never find this info on youtube videos where people show their gaming setups, or even complete pit builds. Where do all the usb cables from all the hardware go to? (not only stick and throttle but also ICP, DED, MFD's, other panels...)

My rig:

My YouTube Channel: https://goo.gl/mWdlQk

PC Specs: Intel i7-3770k 3.5GHz | GeForce RTX 2060Super 8GB | Iiyama Black Hawk G-Master 75Hz dual monitors |16 GB RAM | ASUS Z77 Sabertooth mobo | Saitek PRO Combat Rudder Pedals | TM HOTAS Cougar | TrackIR5 | Win10x64

A regular car seat that you find comfortable or a comfy office chair. If you are thinking about getting a bucket seat or a "gaming chair", be prepared to spunk a load of money on something that has the ergonomics and comfort of a plank. Buckets seats are designed for cornering and crashing, "gaming chairs" are designed for fleecing rubes.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Hammerhead said:

Sorry for dropping in here with an incredibly noob-question but I found this through a search: I noticed the cables are neatly tucked away with that chair but I have always wondered how people manage to get their usb cords reach the desktop? Is there something like usb cable extensions or usb boxes? I never find this info on youtube videos where people show their gaming setups, or even complete pit builds. Where do all the usb cables from all the hardware go to? (not only stick and throttle but also ICP, DED, MFD's, other panels...)

I use a USB hub, so only one USB to the PC.

• Like 1

Modules: F-14A/B | F-15C | F-16C | F/A-18C | SU-33 | Spitfire Mk IX | AH-64D | UH-1 | Super Carrier | Combined Arms | Persian Gulf | Syria | NTTR

Setup: VKB Gunfighter Mk.III F-14 CE HOTAS | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | MFG Crosswind V3 | Custom switch panel | Tek Creations F14 Display Panel | Custom F14 Left Vertical Console | Custom IR Tracker | Custom butt kicker

PC: i7 11700K | 64GB G-Skill DDR4 3600MHz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | DCS dedicated 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD | 3440x1440 144hz 34" ultrawide

17 hours ago, Hector45 said:

I use a USB hub, so only one USB to the PC.

Thanks for clearing that up. And do you need to extend/lengthen the usb cables coming from your devices before they go into the usb hub?

My rig:

My YouTube Channel: https://goo.gl/mWdlQk

PC Specs: Intel i7-3770k 3.5GHz | GeForce RTX 2060Super 8GB | Iiyama Black Hawk G-Master 75Hz dual monitors |16 GB RAM | ASUS Z77 Sabertooth mobo | Saitek PRO Combat Rudder Pedals | TM HOTAS Cougar | TrackIR5 | Win10x64

20 hours ago, Hammerhead said:

Thanks for clearing that up. And do you need to extend/lengthen the usb cables coming from your devices before they go into the usb hub?

I didn't need to extend any of my device cables since I mounted the USB hub to my chair the wires didn't have to go far. The only wire I replaced with a longer one is the USB cable going from the hub to PC.

• Like 1

Modules: F-14A/B | F-15C | F-16C | F/A-18C | SU-33 | Spitfire Mk IX | AH-64D | UH-1 | Super Carrier | Combined Arms | Persian Gulf | Syria | NTTR

Setup: VKB Gunfighter Mk.III F-14 CE HOTAS | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | MFG Crosswind V3 | Custom switch panel | Tek Creations F14 Display Panel | Custom F14 Left Vertical Console | Custom IR Tracker | Custom butt kicker

PC: i7 11700K | 64GB G-Skill DDR4 3600MHz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | DCS dedicated 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD | 3440x1440 144hz 34" ultrawide

I use one of these. For sim gaming as well as a home office. What’s great about it is that it has a locking recline which is important so it doesn’t bounce back and forth especially when sim racing.

https://www.xchair.com/x3build.html

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Recommend quality office chair instead of "gamer" chair, your back will thank you. Herman Miller for example. Gaming chairs are usually chinese low quality gimmicks aimed at people who will buy just about anything that has "gamer" branding or RGB lights on it.

If you absolutely want to get the gaming chair look (not sure why people need recaro seats to not fall off when sitting on a computer, maybe add some racing harness to be safe) i would only recommend Secretlab.

• Like 1

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

• 1 month later...

I suggest you look for PU leather 'executive' chairs if you can't find a cloth/mesh 'office' chair - though the latter is far more comfortable, especially models with mechanically adjustable lumbar and headrest;

some top models will also let you adjust the seat depth. And if you tend to lean back in your chair as much as I do, you will appreciate a knee-tilt mechanism with a synchro seat plate - i.e. where both the backrest and the seat are reclined in sync with each other (though at different angles) and the pivot axis is located directly under your knees. You can read guiding tips and reviews here Typically it's also possible to lock the backseat at any angle of reclination with the left-side lever. This feels as good as a real car seat.

• Like 1

I have an "AKRacing" chair, it was about $300 at the time and was highly recommended. I would not recommend it or any other "gaming" chair. What I liked about it was it is cloth instead of PU leather. PU leather disintegrates after about 6 months of use regardless of brand or how much you pay, so I cannot advise strongly enough to stay away from it. It's probably the worst of the common materials chairs are made of. Go with simple cloth or real leather only. Moving on from that, a good quality cloth office chair is probably the best option overall or a good quality leather office chair if you are concerned with spilling stuff on it. The racing style gaming chairs aren't terribly comfortable and the high headrest gets in the way of VR headsets.

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

5 hours ago, AirMeister said:

Also good luck trying to look behind you in one of those gaming chairs if you happen to play with VR 

VRnecksafer is your friend…

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, daniellechams said:

Hi everyone... I have been thinking of buying a video game chair and started doing some research. Currently, I play console and use a large bean bag from LoveSac. My Sac is great, but it would be great to have more support overall. My research has lead me to few brands. Namely DXRacer, X Rocker, Merax, Maxnomic, and Arozzi. I know I do not want a chair with speakers. Therefore, most (if not all) of the X Rocker chairs are likely out. Money is not really concern. I have seen some chairs around $500, but ideally I would want the best chair for money. However, I would be willing to pay for quality gaming chair comfort. Other info that may help: I am 6' tall, 210 lbs, and longer in my torso than legs with longer than average arms. Comfort and support are important. Color options and looks are secondary. So this is were you come in... What are your thoughts, opinions, and recommendations on chairs? Would you buy yours again? Have you ever had a negative experience with a particular brand? Etc...I appreciate any and all feedback here. Thanks for reading and helping a fellow Agent out!

Take a look at Secret Labs...it's very sturdy and comfortable.  They have different sizes for height and weight.  By the way, quality is surperb.  I'm a current user...I'm taller and heavier than you.  The best gaming chair collection | Secretlab US

• Like 1

I personally prefer to use armless reception chairs with high wear fabric and steel construction. And its best of you can find high seat weight limit ones, because if you're doing VR, you'll put a ton of force on the back of the chair are you're craining around to see. 

I prefer the ones without ruling wheels because I'll actually twist with the rudder pedals or when hauling on the stick. But a good solid side chair works great for me. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

If you going to get an office chair, make sure that it's not flexible at its upright position. I bought recently a Steelcase Think chair, used, only to discover that even at uprights, it moves back and forth. For flying it's ok, but when you have a load cell brake pedal it completely breaks the VR immersion while simracing.

• 6 months later...
On 11/5/2022 at 9:41 PM, maxt78 said:

If you are willing to spend a bit, monstertech makes a chair that is designed to hold a HOTAS and stuff.

Not cheap, but I'm sure it would be a great improvement to your setup.

https://www.monstertechusa.com/product-category/chairs/

Awesome. This what i need

TM Warthog MFG TIR5 GT Omega Pro/ButKickerx1/WheelStandPro Playseat/ButKickerx2

I ended up going with an AKRacing Core Series EX Gaming Chair back in Dec 2020. Been very happy with it so far. I replaced the castors with ones that had locking mechanism on them so I could easily lock the chair in place when flight simmming.

I also got a Monster Tech Mount for my Virpil Collective for it, and have the mounting plate attached to this chair. Collective easily attaches/detaches when need to use.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I checked through this as I’m in need of a decent chair again.

Around 2020 I was looking but couldn’t try anything as we were all in the surreal world of a ‘lockdown’. I must’ve seen every YouTube video reviewing all manner of chairs. I narrowed a list down to either a Herman Miller - expensive but well reviewed for comfort, a Secretlabs Titan - A gamer, popular seller but not really what I wanted with a massive emblem on it and the Noblechairs Hero. Apparently, an Ex RAF instructor and now DCS user had a review of what looked like your generic high backed swivel chair. I have a fair bit of discomfort at the best of times so when he said something about a chiropractor giving it the thumbs up, I was interested.

I had to plump for something so bought the Noblechairs, first thing is it’s enormous. Not quite a giants throne but little it aint. Having sat on it for a couple of years flying DCS I have no trouble feeling fully immersed in a medieval dungeon type scenario and regularly fly around wondering when the Spanish Inquisition are gonna break out the thumbscrews and finish the set. I’ve sat on more comfortable church pews. In short, avoid those at at all costs… Incidentally, if anyone’s interested I could be persuaded to part with it at a very reasonable price. One careful owner and honest, it’s really comfy guv 😉.

Must get around and try a few out.

• 1 month later...

Well this is a hot one. I will share my info for ya. I threw down on a Monster tech a year ago. 47yo 6'5" 240lb fella. Lots of bad joints-esp hips and low back. Car racing will do that. i have used all kinds of chairs and even built my own with the ol junk yard chair. I have never been more comfortable and happier than with this chair. It wasnt cheap and if I had to do over i would bought it sooner than i did. I went ahead and got all the crap on it i wanted and just bent over. It has been well worth it and i will have to say now that i have it, you dont get the shaft, you get a DAMN good chair. Hope i helped.

Later Tater

• Like 3

On 9/28/2023 at 7:28 AM, bigdaddybones30 said:

Well this is a hot one. I will share my info for ya. I threw down on a Monster tech a year ago. 47yo 6'5" 240lb fella. Lots of bad joints-esp hips and low back. Car racing will do that. i have used all kinds of chairs and even built my own with the ol junk yard chair. I have never been more comfortable and happier than with this chair. It wasnt cheap and if I had to do over i would bought it sooner than i did. I went ahead and got all the crap on it i wanted and just bent over. It has been well worth it and i will have to say now that i have it, you dont get the shaft, you get a DAMN good chair. Hope i helped.

Later Tater

Aye the Monstertech chairs are expensive but very very comfy. I just wish I’d bought one years ago. Now I just need one at work also…

5 hours ago, Mogster said:

Aye the Monstertech chairs are expensive but very very comfy. I just wish I’d bought one years ago. Now I just need one at work also…

I would imagine the Monster Tech chair just reeks of quality. Those guys are big on quality - yes their hardware is more expensive than most but it is for a good reason. I have a long extended table mount and a standard table mount from them, have had them for quite a while and love them. I recently got a plate to mount my newer extended Virpil CM3 stick to the Monster Tech Mount rather than the Virpil mount I got. Appears the Monster Tech Mount will not stick out towards me as far as the Virpil Mount does which will be nice to get a little closer to my desk.

I also have the Monster Tech Virpil Collective Mount attached to my AK Racing gaming chair, love it as well for very quick connects and disconnects for some helicopter action. So yeah I am a big fan of Monster Tech products.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|