Why's and How's of a Coordinated Turn - Page 5 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-16-2019, 06:02 AM   #41
Bearfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester2138 View Post

Correct...

You wouldn't see both in the same turn. Yes, in any speed/configuration/AoA/whatever, in theory the rudder application is only as long as your lateral stick input.

I feel like you guys need to go back to basics on what adverse yaw is based on how thoroughly this seems to have confused you.
"back to basics" --- this implies that that we were had the basics at some point previously. I, at least, don't! LOL. Working through this as I go along, on whatever time I have between day job and family, and depending on the kindness/time/experience/understanding of other folks to "correct the sideslips", as it were.
Bearfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:19 PM   #42
Bearfoot

Basics ... with probably the only better looking jet to ever grace the USN inventory

Last edited by Bearfoot; 09-16-2019 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 03:13 AM   #43
Jester2138

I was thinking far more basic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNV_SDDxuWk

This is adverse yaw. Proverse yaw is exactly the same thing, just the opposite yaw. An aerodynamically simple plane like the Piper he's in only exhibits adverse yaw. The Tomcat exhibits both in different regimes as the plane's configuration changes.
Jester2138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:55 PM   #44
Bearfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester2138 View Post
I was thinking far more basic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNV_SDDxuWk

This is adverse yaw. Proverse yaw is exactly the same thing, just the opposite yaw. An aerodynamically simple plane like the Piper he's in only exhibits adverse yaw. The Tomcat exhibits both in different regimes as the plane's configuration changes.
Thank you for this. This was very helpful.

For anyone else reading this, even if you understand the fundamental theory of why there is adverse yaw, if you have no formal training or actual exposure to practical flying like me you might find that last bit especially useful just as a practical demonstration of the effect and its correction. This was the "missing piece" for me, and actually seeing it happen in a real demo was the catalyst I needed to bring together lots of vague ideas. The link below is cued to that time.