1.5.8 and 2.2.0 to 2.5 transition Discussion

USSR_Rik

Yeah, I fully disagree with you. ED stated:

"Releasing", in this context, sounds an a lot like a production-ready product."

Releasing means customers gets access to the product. Not that the product is ready.

It should be already a time that people stop thinking software as 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 etc as a finished products.

Version numbering is nothing more than a information to track a versions. Not that something is ready to be released or not.

Software 0.3.1 version can be far more stable and feature rich than one with 2.0.

Release means in this context that we get access to a updated Caucasus map with a new features. It ain't ready, it is just a begin.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it matter. The main thing is we are getting it

Just install what you need and update ... simple

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

How comfortable are you with creating registry keys? They are all straightforward string values.

I'm comfortable with that, I was only wondering why the keys didn't exist, and I think - as suggested by someone above - it's because I reinstalled Windows and just copied my existing DCS folders rather than installing.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Releasing means customers gets access to the product. Not that the product is ready.

Release means in this context that we get access to a updated Caucasus map with a new features. It ain't ready, it is just a begin.

I suppose that the 99.99999% of game developers when asked for a "Release Date" aren't actually giving you what they believe to be their "ready product". Instead you're just getting a version of the product. :doh::megalol: Okay, guy.

EDIT: And to expand a bit. I'm totally fine with ED "releasing" their product this way. However, I believe a little more transparency would have done well back in December when they initially offered up the end-of-January time frame, to keep everyone's expectations aligned. Managing expectations is important especially when something, as exciting as this, is to be released.

Edited by rudellj

About HD space.

I have both the Steam 1.5 AND the Beta 1.5 installed on my PC.

Because I bought some modules on Steam and other directly from DCS. Can I safely delete the 1.5 from Steam for to save HD space (I dont need the two 1.5 AND 1.5 Beta?) or will that mess up the key for my modules?

(All my modules work in 1.5 beta and 2.2)

I have now 50 gb left on the HD, but if both 1.5 and 1.5 beta will be updated to 2.5 I guess it will be a problem...?

Will 1.5.8 receive a final patch before it goes "unsupported"? There should be a few bug fixes in the pipeline for several modules for, I think, a few weeks by now. If those would still make it into the 1.5.8 version, I bet it would be greatly appreciated by those who opt to keep 1.5.8.

Yes: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3365690&postcount=63 ;)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

So today's update is for OB only. It means that we still have to wait for the release to get it prior for us to be delivered the OB 2.5?

Enviado desde mi Moto Z Play mediante Tapatalk

So today's update is for OB only. It means that we still have to wait for the release to get it prior for us to be delivered the OB 2.5?

Correct.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

EDIT: And to expand a bit. I'm totally fine with ED "releasing" their product this way. However, I believe a little more transparency would have done well back in December when they initially offered up the end-of-January time frame, to keep everyone's expectations aligned. Managing expectations is important especially when something, as exciting as this, is to be released.

Maybe they didnt know at the time, or were working on the upgrade process

who knows, the main thing is we are getting it when they said.

I was hoping for today myself, however understandable they are releasing next Wednesday.

:)

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

As I understand it, on 1/31 OB will be released following the detail from the original post. An undisclosed amount of time after that OB will end and we will be left with a stable version and a beta version, for future changes.

Maybe they didnt know at the time, or were working on the upgrade process

who knows, the main thing is we are getting it when they said.

I was hoping for today myself, however understandable they are releasing next Wednesday.

:)

Fully agree!

What do u mean by todays update? is it out ? IS OB 2.5 OUT?:lol:

[...] An undisclosed amount of time after that OB will end [...]

That's wrong. The OB remains. The OA will end.

What do u mean by todays update? is it out ? IS OB 2.5 OUT?lol.gif

No, update for OB 1.5.8: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3365690&postcount=63

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

No, update for OB 1.5.8: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3365690&postcount=63

Is it ready yet cause I cant download it. It says that is not available yet ?

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Asus TUF OC RTX 4090 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds

No, not yet: https://updates.digitalcombatsimulator.com/

Updates usally arrive in the late afternoon, european time.

Edit: Available now

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg

Technically no, it was not an estimate but a promise by Wags himself.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3327673&postcount=733

In my mind, if Open Beta is released first on the 31st then he is meeting this promise.

+1

Whenever something new comes out, one should always assume it will be released to the open beta first. That's what the beta is for, last thing devs would want is to break everyone's game in case something goes wrong.

+1

Whenever something new comes out, one should always assume it will be released to the open beta first. That's what the beta is for, last thing devs would want is to break everyone's game in case something goes wrong.

Exactly this! Especially if it's a big change, as 2.5 will be. It would be pretty bad, if there is a game breaking problem with 2.5 and there would be no working version (1.5.8) left to play with.

Tornado3 small.jpg

Today's small update is now available for Open Beta.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Sorry, you misinterpreted what I meant - that's my fault. I meant it will end, as in, the initial 2.5OB will come to a close and be promoted to "Production Release"(IE: 2.5.XXX, i presume). and the 2.5.xxx OB channel will continue as a place to test future updates before promoting to the production-release channel.

I have only 1.5.8 stable installed, so it should become 2.5.0 stable after 1-2 weeks of 2.5.0 open beta testing. But I'd like to change installation directory: now my 1.5.8 stable is on my D: HDD drive and I'd like to install 2.5.0 stable on C: SSD drive. Will this be possible? Or is it better I change now my 1.5.8 stable drive before the update? I do not want to mess with path or registry entries, if I have to reinstall I reinstall, but if my 1.5.8 stable will be updated I prefer to reinstall now, before the update will be out.

Edited by nessuno0505

I think we all should follow the instructions of the transition to DCS 2.5 exactly how the ED Team tell us. In few days we will enter the update sequence.

I think it could take us some days or 2 weeks but at the end we will obtain a new wonderfull DCS World. So let us be patient and let us follow instructions.

ED Team will guide us step by step to the future of simulation.. :smilewink:

We only need a clear check list of step by step to transition.. :book:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/139168989452694/about/

ASUS ROG - TM Hotas Warthog - TM Hotas Cougar - TM F-18 Grip - Oculus Rift S - Track IR 5