VR support

Fusedspine33

This weeks patch added native support for the Varjo VR headset. That is an understandable move given the professional licensing available for commercial users.

Almost a year ago @Wags stated he was going to seek having native support for the Reverb added to DCS world While the Reverb HMD has gone thru some issues a newer V2 is coming that addresses some of those growing pains.

Can native Reverb support be added that eliminates the need for multiple sub program tweaks and excessive headaches with the windows WMR environment?

The thread here on the forums for the Reverb is at 5697 posts. So it isn’t easy to get the “best” headset running easily.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3937415&postcount=1080

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+1

Digital Storm Lynx: i9-10850k (5.2 GHz): 64GB RAM (3200 MHz): 2TB SSD M.2 Samsung 970 EVO: 2TB Samsung HD: GEFORCE 2080 TI: Thrust Master WartHog (modified): TM F-18C joystick: Saitek Rudder Pedals: HP Reverb PRO: Volair Sim Cockpit: Current Stable Version of DCS :thumbup:

IRL Retired Maintainer of the AT-38B: F-4E/G: F-15A/B/C/D: and McDonnell Douglas/Boeing Technical Advisor for the F-15C/D. I drive trains now. :yawn:

WMR support is fine. It's not great, but it's functionally fine. You need to have Steam VR installed, that's it. Sure, there's a whole bunch of tweaks you can do and Steam VR may have some overhead that going to WindowsMR native would help but it's by no means broken.

DCS added support for the Varjo for professional training use, not for general gaming consumers.

Seems a bit crazy to add support for Varjo, when I`d imagine those with such a HMD would be in the single numbers. While leaving WMR still waiting for native support bearing in mind that the number of such users would be substantially higher. Unless of course it`s proving problematic to implement.

Seems a bit crazy to add support for Varjo, when I`d imagine those with such a HMD would be in the single numbers. While leaving WMR still waiting for native support bearing in mind that the number of such users would be substantially higher. Unless of course it`s proving problematic to implement.

It does seem crazy EXCEPT that I believe ED has a commercial side which no doubt pays a lot more of the bills than the "gamer" side that we fly on. This is likely targeted at them and we get it as a side effect.

WMR support is fine. It's not great, but it's functionally fine. You need to have Steam VR installed, that's it. Sure, there's a whole bunch of tweaks you can do and Steam VR may have some overhead that going to WindowsMR native would help but it's by no means broken.

DCS added support for the Varjo for professional training use, not for general gaming consumers.

So...this was what I was hinting at. I started with the Oculus CV1 and getting it going was a very simple install of the base software and off I went flying. The Rift S went right into service the same way. Those 5000+ posts of tweaking, twerking, fumbling, frustration and lack of intuitive setup make spending the $600 a bit much of a project dealing with Windows WMR, Steam VR, Nvidia and DCS. However I am very interested in the added clarity the 4K displays will provide.

The original post from Wags seemed to indicate much of this could be eliminated with true DCS native support.

Yeah , gonna be a lot more need for this when G2 lands !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

It does seem crazy EXCEPT that I believe ED has a commercial side which no doubt pays a lot more of the bills than the "gamer" side that we fly on. This is likely targeted at them and we get it as a side effect.

Both those sides probably feed each other and the "gamey" side is not to be ignored. That's one.

Second is that the gamey side will always bring money, dripping maybe even pouring but continuously. The so called business... can have hiccups and can stop altogether sometimes.

Third one is that whatever ED does if the gamey side doesn't bring enough money is on them. The pond is full of fish, you just need to use the right lure.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

I don't own a VR headset, but i still think that ED has to add native support for all the major consumer VR solutions.

Many VR users struggle with performance to some degree and native support for a HMD will surely result in less overhead through the steamVR bridge and easier troubleshooting and tuning.

I don't own a VR headset, but i still think that ED has to add native support for all the major consumer VR solutions.

Many VR users struggle with performance to some degree and native support for a HMD will surely result in less overhead through the steamVR bridge and easier troubleshooting and tuning.

There are many platforms and the popular “winners” would hopefully see native support. There are lots of HMDs that promised the moon and didn’t quite deliver that are like equivalent of Linux for VR.

So...this was what I was hinting at. I started with the Oculus CV1 and getting it going was a very simple install of the base software and off I went flying. The Rift S went right into service the same way.

There is no native support for the Oculus branch either. Native for me means not running extra software to get it going, directly from within the game. No Rift has that for the moment, if the Oculus Home software doesn't run, you don't have VR. Period. In any game.

The difference with other brands it that they have their nose so high up Steam's ass you need SteamVR to get it going. For Oculus you don't.

Flip side is no VR racing games if you don't go the Steam road (besides the small independent Live4Speed)

For the moment you always need a VR door between the VR headset and the game. Either Oculus Home, SteamVR, OpenVR or WMR.

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Native for me means not running extra software to get it going

Meanwhile for the rest of humankind "native" means "not emulated". I.e. running oculus games on Index using revive is not native. You obviously have no slightest idea how VR pipelines work. That's like blaming ED for using nvidia/ati drivers to work with GPU.

VR support

There is no native support for the Oculus branch either. Native for me means not running extra software to get it going, directly from within the game. No Rift has that for the moment, if the Oculus Home software doesn't run, you don't have VR. Period. In any game.

The difference with other brands it that they have their nose so high up Steam's ass you need SteamVR to get it going. For Oculus you don't.

Flip side is no VR racing games if you don't go the Steam road (besides the small independent Live4Speed)

For the moment you always need a VR door between the VR headset and the game. Either Oculus Home, SteamVR, OpenVR or WMR.

They are talking about having the need to run the Game using steamvr (while having mixed reality portal and steamvr for mixed reality bridge opened), surely an unneeded step that gives some overhed....

native support for WMR would simply mean running via Mixed Reality portal, similarly on how the Oculus works

Edited by VirusAM

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png