Please Buy The Hornet.

wilbur81

For your own sake, purchase the Hornet if you haven't. It is an absolutely remarkable DCS module! In my opinion, it is good enough to justify the whole DCS world software's existence. If they dropped every single ED and third party aircraft module and just called DCS World simply "Hornet," I'd be satisfied. :) I've purchased other modules, including the F-16C (my favorite a/c along with the Albino -15C Eagle)... but I just can't get enough of the Hornet. The flight model, the avionics, etc. It really is that good. The a/a radar is really coming of age with TWS (and more to come), air to ground is fantastic and getting better, carrier ops, high-aoa dog-fighting, I could go on and on. Seriously purchase this jet if you haven't yet, you won't be disappointed. Thanks, ED!

That's all. :thumbup:

Edited by wilbur81

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

I agree...the Hornet was my first complex jet and it was great out of the box and even better now. The Viper is superb as well and getting better every update.

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I agree with this. The Hornet is a much deeper simulation than the A10 was. The A10 didn't have complex modeling of IAMS, INS/Inertial Drift and other such things. The Hornet will and many of those updates are going right back into the A10.

What I noticed with ED's approach is how methodical it is. When they release a system, I always know right away what will work and what won't, so I can set my expectations and learning experience accordingly. What they do release and say will work, more often than not, does work. You can really see each release building solidly on the last. Not all devs do this, but ED does.

I noticed right away the step up the Hornet was from the A10, and the recent news that the A10 is getting the same treatment is just more reason to support these guys.

3-4 years development for something as complex as the Hornet is not even slightly unreasonable.

For your own sake, purchase the Hornet if you haven't. It is an absolutely remarkable DCS module! In my opinion, it is good enough to justify the whole DCS world software's existence. If they dropped every single ED and third party aircraft module and just called DCS World simply "Hornet," I'd be satisfied. :) I've purchased other modules, including the F-16C (my favorite a/c along with the Albino -15C Eagle)... but I just can't get enough of the Hornet. The flight model, the avionics, etc. It really is that good. The a/a radar is really coming of age with TWS (and more to come), air to ground is fantastic and getting better, carrier ops, high-aoa dog-fighting, I could go on and on. Seriously purchase this jet if you haven't yet, you won't be disappointed. Thanks, ED!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

ahhh… well, i'm happy to see someone that is actually happy of the hornet, but i was tricked by people like you , so i think i must share my experience, to not make more sad people like me.

F18 is still in EA (Early Access) , it has many features, but some of this features are still bugged, and a lot is totally missing. reading positive comments, i buy it years ago, hoping that in the time i would learn the already present features, the plane would be completed…

but it was not.

so the starting happines become a frustration of keep running in the same bugs everyday, that makes impossible for me to enjoy the module.

plus , the devs started to work on other modules, slowing down even more the F18 development… and honestly i see no light at the end of the tunnel (but lets say its just me very negative…).

so.. to cut it short...F18 is a good plane, in DCS the F18 module for the parts that are modeled and works ...its good. but there are bugs old of years, many missing features, and play it may become frustrating (for me it is) especially compared to other modules, that still have some bugs but are way more "all round complete" and enjoyable.

so...to not do my mistake, before buy F18 just consider if you're a very patient guy, and years-long Early Access is for you.

i hope to be of service to the community.

Concur!

I support this!

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

To some degree my patience with this and all the modules stems from the fact that it frankly takes a heck of allot of time to learn how to employ these functions anyway. The longer I have been in flight simming the more and more sophisticated the models have become and when you consider how long it takes for properly trained pilots to learn these thing, although there are limits to the comparison of course, yet it gives us an idea about how long it should take us. So if some functions are not yet implemented, well I'm probably not ready for them anyway.

Well, it is a good idea to consider a) the Hornet, as it is a superb model, even now in Early Access, but b) you should consider the Supercarrier, as well, with the current pre-purchase and 50% off for Hornet owners... it doesn't get cheaper for a long time, I guess. ;)

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

If it flies, I got it. (Except the FW-190 repeat and the I-16). But, I only fly the Hornet, Huey, and P-51. Just a personal choice.

I fly EA and put up with the bugs as they get worked out. There's just too much going for the Hornet compared to any of the other aircraft. Try a Case III on the Stennis. Then, when the SuperCarrier comes out, Try Case III again. Nothing except the giant "Turkey" can match the thrills.

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

I find the Hornet very enjoyable. I could only have dreamed about a sim this complex when I first started back in the C64 days and then the Amiga etc.

In fact, I was on my way to Montreal a few months back and ended up on the train sat next to a real CF-18 pilot on his way back to Bagotville, QC. He was full of praise for the DCS Hornet and said he was actually shocked how much was simulated and worked.

I guess you cant please everyone......

As modules go, in terms of completion, yeah, the Hornet is fairly equipped and complex enough to hook you for a long time.

It's still Early Access so there are many features missing and/or bugged. But, it's a decent overall aircraft, with its multi-role aspect to it.

I just hope ED doesn't disregard these bugs and missing features however. I was quite sad to see production halt when the Falcon was launched. Here's hoping both aircraft fair better in 2020.

"The natural function of the wing is to soar upwards and carry that which is heavy up to the place where dwells the race of gods.

More than any other thing that pertains to the body it partakes of the nature of the divine." — Plato, Phaedrus.

[...] I could only have dreamed about a sim this complex when I first started back in the C64 days and then the Amiga etc.

[...]

This!:thumbup:

When I think back to my first F-18 sim (cough) on the Amiga...

I would have sold my grandmother for the DCS F/A-18 C. :music_whistling:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

ahhh… well, i'm happy to see someone that is actually happy of the hornet, but i was tricked by people like you , so i think i must share my experience, to not make more sad people like me.

F18 is still in EA (Early Access) , it has many features, but some of this features are still bugged, and a lot is totally missing. reading positive comments, i buy it years ago, hoping that in the time i would learn the already present features, the plane would be completed…

but it was not.

so the starting happines become a frustration of keep running in the same bugs everyday, that makes impossible for me to enjoy the module.

plus , the devs started to work on other modules, slowing down even more the F18 development… and honestly i see no light at the end of the tunnel (but lets say its just me very negative…).

so.. to cut it short...F18 is a good plane, in DCS the F18 module for the parts that are modeled and works ...its good. but there are bugs old of years, many missing features, and play it may become frustrating (for me it is) especially compared to other modules, that still have some bugs but are way more "all round complete" and enjoyable.

so...to not do my mistake, before buy F18 just consider if you're a very patient guy, and years-long Early Access is for you.

i hope to be of service to the community.

+1

Not necessarily tricked, but definitely did not expect them to plan a multi year EA and divert resources from the Hornet to the Viper. That was just having two aircraft in EA. The real question will be how they handle EA for the Hornet, Viper, Carrier, Hind, A-10C 2, KA-50 update, theaters, and some other aircraft that will apparently knock our socks off. They are going to more than likely have to "borrow" resources from the Hornet and Viper if I were a betting man.

Edited by Thump