Proper carrier takeoff

The AMRAAMer

What's the procedure for a proper carrier takeoff? Flaps and burners? Climb angle after launch? I've seen videos of some takeoffs where the pilot is putting in full back stick before the launch and then releasing right after

Just wondering how to do a proper carrier takeoff

Officially its flaps and max dry power, no burner till you’re off the cat. This is apparently because if you had an engine failure as you launched then if you were in burner you wouldn’t have enough rudder to counteract the asymmetric thrust. This only applies to the B model with the much more powerful engines the A models were usually Zone 3 AB for launch afaik.

Saying all that, I tend to go off in full burner just because :P

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Flaps, full mil (no burner), Cats 1 and 2 turn right 20 degrees, then back to BRC , climb and maintain 500ft for 7 miles. Then cleared to do whatever.

Flaps, full mil (no burner), Cats 3 and 4 turn left 20 degrees, then back to BRC , climb and maintain 500ft for 7 miles. Then cleared to do whatever.

Full aft stick if you are WAY heavy i believe. I am finding a few degrees after for a second is good.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

Flaps, full mil (no burner), Cats 1 and 2 turn right 20 degrees, then back to BRC , climb and maintain 500ft for 7 miles. Then cleared to do whatever.

Flaps, full mil (no burner), Cats 3 and 4 turn left 20 degrees, then back to BRC , climb and maintain 500ft for 7 miles. Then cleared to do whatever.

Full aft stick if you are WAY heavy i believe. I am finding a few degrees after for a second is good.

Just a stupid question.

Why is it important to stay at 500 ft and why for 7 miles?

Thank you

Just a stupid question.

Why is it important to stay at 500 ft and why for 7 miles?

Thank you

The carrier procedures are primarily for non-radar separation. This allows all aircraft to be separated by at least 500' vertically at all times in case I (VFR). You will see this kind of separation throughout both case I arrival and departure procedures. Case II and III the separation increases. While the carrier does have very powerful air search radars in the event of an EMCON situation the aircraft should all be separated from each other by default without anyone having to say a word.

The carrier procedures are primarily for non-radar separation. This allows all aircraft to be separated by at least 500' vertically at all times in case I (VFR). You will see this kind of separation throughout both case I arrival and departure procedures. Case II and III the separation increases. While the carrier does have very powerful air search radars in the event of an EMCON situation the aircraft should all be separated from each other by default without anyone having to say a word.

Not quite. Departures for Case I/II climb to maintain 500 until 7nm to provide separation from aircraft that may be in the break at 800, which only gives 300ft clearance.