Back to the Rift CV1 after the Reverb

Harlikwin

Wow. Tracking is fine, turn on some lights set it up right.

This is the problem. I have my PC in bedroom, I cannot fly with 4 ceiling lights turned on because Reverb cannot track properly. I tried with a small desk lamp but Reverb still struggles when I am turning around to check my 6.

My IPD is 65mm, not far from native 63mm.

I moved my attention to Index. With base stations tracking should be a lot better. Also adjustable lenses will help. The display resolution is lower but I learned already that other features are equally important. I've been using CV1 for 3 years and don't want to switch to a device that is worse in every aspect, except resolution.

Edited by Marklar

i9 9700K @5.0GHz; 2080 Ti, 32GB RAM. Reverb G2; TM Warthog on VPC WarBRD Base, MFG Crosswind V3

Colors. Huh, I'm not color blind after all. Lots better in the Rift...

the tool fpsVR (4 USD Steam) you can bump up RGB, fixes Reverb bland colors

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

the tool fpsVR (4 USD Steam) you can bump up RGB, fixes Reverb bland colors

fpsVR is great tool, but color corrections does not work for Reverb:

https://steamdb.info/patchnotes/4209621/

we need in game color corrections

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=252118

i7-7820X@4.5Ghz; GPU 3080Ti, 64GB RAM, HP Reverb G2; VKB Ultimate stick; VIRPIL Throttle; Slaw Pedals; custom AX&BTN BOX

fpsVR is great tool, but color corrections does not work for Reverb:

https://steamdb.info/patchnotes/4209621/

you sure? I think I saw a difference, because I had to tone it back down also.

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

you sure? I think I saw a difference, because I had to tone it back down also.

Well, I'm gonna try it once I get my reverb replaced.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

One mistake Bearfoot, ... the Rift S does not get you 90% of the way there, ... it gets you ~ 96% of the way there. :)

I'm finding that hard to believe from a PPD standpoint. But I haven't looked at a riftS. Given my shitty experience with HP's warranty I almost pulled the trigger on black Friday deal for a backup RiftS…

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

This is the problem. I have my PC in bedroom, I cannot fly with 4 ceiling lights turned on because Reverb cannot track properly. I tried with a small desk lamp but Reverb still struggles when I am turning around to check my 6.

My IPD is 65mm, not far from native 63mm.

I moved my attention to Index. With base stations tracking should be a lot better. Also adjustable lenses will help. The display resolution is lower but I learned already that other features are equally important. I've been using CV1 for 3 years and don't want to switch to a device that is worse in every aspect, except resolution.

I fly in a basement setting with shitty fluorescent lighting. There are 2 things that work, good contrast background (I.e put some art, or sticky notes on your walls) and just overall light level. I have both and never had an issue.

The reverb isn't worse in every aspect. Its equal or better in most. Tracking is the same IMO, colors are better on an oled screen, but all the new headsets use LCD, so the same as them, Res is definitely better. Hand controllers, well, I don't use em so its a moot point.

The only real issue with the reverb I've had is reliability, and warranty, but I literally have one of the first units and they are a known hazard.

Honestly the 3 main things I would "fix" if I were HP.

1. reliability (come on HP, don't hire some 60 IQ engineers)

2. IPD/adjustability (why god why did you make that stupid choice of "fixed"?)

3. Better color def (not sure if its possible with the LCD displays they used)

Otherwise I think it works well at a very competitive price point.

The 3 main things other than the obvious reliability issues would be:

Larger Sweet spot/FOV (rathe obvious issue)

Better color depth (yup, rather obvious issue)

Better res/ppd (mid 20's ppd to mid 40's would be nice)

Back to the Rift CV1 after the Reverb

With CV1 I can play in a complete darkness and still have a perfect tracking. I now know that it's not possible with headsets with inside-out tracking.

I already returned my Reverb. I will wait for a headset that suits my requirements or buy Index. If it only had better resolution...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by Marklar

i9 9700K @5.0GHz; 2080 Ti, 32GB RAM. Reverb G2; TM Warthog on VPC WarBRD Base, MFG Crosswind V3

With CV1 I can play in a complete darkness and still have a perfect tracking. I now know that it's not possible with headsets with inside-out tracking.

I already returned my Reverb. I will wait for a headset that suits my requirements or buy Index. If it only had better resolution...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well, the problem with the index is that they chose FOV over res. Unless you are paying alot of money its an either or thing right now. I do wish the Reverb had a larger sweet spot and/or adjustable IPD to help maximize the sweet spot they have...

I was banking on other headsets following suite on the higher PPD/res angle, but most didn't at all, which I found surprising. Maybe in 2020 we will see a few more high-res options.

Edited by Harlikwin

Update!

Holy crap HP SUCKS. I was told Monday that I'd have my replacement by the end of the week (Fri)... Just got an update, oh so sorry, stuff is back-ordered until end of JANUARY! They asked if I'd like to escalate the case to "customer care" to which I said yes, and they said they'd be in touch in 1-3 business days. Its been over 2 weeks since I've started this and I'm beyond pissed with HP.

So pro tip if you have the slightest problem with the headset, even if it still works, get on the horn and get in line for a replacement. Cuz 1-2 day "replacments" are in reality 1-2 months.

Ah that sucks. You would think that companies would keep plenty of spares around for warranty purposes alone.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Ah that sucks. You would think that companies would keep plenty of spares around for warranty purposes alone.

Yeah I'm pretty shocked. The spare cable I ordered similar story, took a month to get it. I think there may be more to the story here too, they may be dealing with tons of returns and replacements. I'll update again once I hear from "customer care".

Yeah I'm pretty shocked. The spare cable I ordered similar story, took a month to get it. I think there may be more to the story here too, they may be dealing with tons of returns and replacements. I'll update again once I hear from "customer care".

HP Reverb might be the sales hit HP did not expect (they didn't, they expected all VR manufacturers would be offering 4K by the time they did) and they're coping with up-scaling production perhaps.

HP Reverb might be the sales hit HP did not expect (they didn't, they expected all VR manufacturers would be offering 4K by the time they did) and they're coping with up-scaling production perhaps.

It might be. It sounds like they have issues with various suppliers getting parts on time from what I've gleaned from talking to their warranty people. I'm also debating just buying a second one since I know I can have that here next day but I really really have a problem rewarding shitty customer service like that. Or a different headset, but I struggle with the idea that I'm not gonna use once this one is fixed.

So the latest face-palm worth update is that their "customer care" department is trying to pull a bait-n-switch on me by offering me their old headset, which has a similar enough model number on it VR1000-100.... Which based on reviews was also hot-garbage...

26-700-308-S09.jpg

I'm glad that my Reverb runs fine and the other guys of our Simracing Community, are also lucky with the Reverb and having no issues.

In your case,it really Sucks,but for 90% of the other Reverb users, this HMD is a blast and the only real VR headset of Today.

Hope they find a solution for you.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G973F mit Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thrustmaster Warthog SLM - F/A-18 , MFG Crosswind V2 , Cougar MFD`s , HP Reverb , PointCtrl , i9@5,1Ghz/2080Ti,

:joystick: DIY 2DOF Motionsimulator with 4Ch Simshaker :joystick:

I'm glad that my Reverb runs fine and the other guys of our Simracing Community, are also lucky with the Reverb and having no issues.

In your case,it really Sucks,but for 90% of the other Reverb users, this HMD is a blast and the only real VR headset of Today.

Hope they find a solution for you.

I had 0 problems for a few months. Hopefully they are more durable for you.

Ok,but then you have a Version 1 Reverb, because the Reverb V2 dont even exists a Few months.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thrustmaster Warthog SLM - F/A-18 , MFG Crosswind V2 , Cougar MFD`s , HP Reverb , PointCtrl , i9@5,1Ghz/2080Ti,

:joystick: DIY 2DOF Motionsimulator with 4Ch Simshaker :joystick:

Ok,but then you have a Version 1 Reverb, because the Reverb V2 dont even exists a Few months.

Its a 925 so partly improved. Got it in august.

Im just mostly horrified by the "charmin" brand warrany*. And a solutely useless customer service.

*thats a brand of toilet paper for non-US-ians.

Edited by Harlikwin

ZOMG, I got a shipping notification, but no message from my case manager... Initial claim filed on the 15th of last month...

Avast! I am once again able to see things in VR! (replacement arrived)

I'll post up a guide to help with dealing with HP customer service a bit later, cuz now I'm gonna play DCS. Lord what fecesshow….