Missiles contrails!!!! :)

falcon_120

Thanks ED! Missile contrails look awesome in the latest F16 mini update video.

Is it coming for all missiles? Or what is the plan?

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

good find! let's hope it's indeed contrails and not a bug with smokeless motors now smoking;)

by the way, does anyone know, if a missiles only contrails as long as the motor is burning?

i find it plausible that it would contrail even after burn-out, because of the high supersonic speed, but i do not know.

good find! let's hope it's indeed contrails and not a bug with smokeless motors now smoking;)

by the way, does anyone know, if a missiles only contrails as long as the motor is burning?

i find it plausible that it would contrail even after burn-out, because of the high supersonic speed, but i do not know.

I dont know, i thought they would contrail only during engine burn time due to water vapor coming from the engine? But maybe also due to differences in temperature or pressure? In that case maybe they show a bit longer that engine burnout time. Any expert please chime in :)

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

i've done some reading and from what i understand now, the contrails should indeed be the result of the burning engine only. With the reaction product responsible for the contrail being water (H2O), hydrochloric acid (HCl) or aluminium oxide (Al2O3), depending of the type of rocket motor.

my educated guess would be, that there might be occasions where the high ultrasonic speed of an object alone could generate vapor trails and similar effects, but these would probably vanish quickly - similar to wingtip-vortices or over-wing vapor...

I would think the contrail would stay...

A contrail is warm vapor condensing in cold air. Without the vapor-generating combustion there's nothing to condense, and no contrail.

The vapor trails from LEXs or wings is caused by low pressure areas in (relatively) humid conditions. The famous vapor cones when crossing the mach are Wilson clouds forming in the Taylor wave.

The upshot is the contrail should not outlast combustion by very much. There will still be some vapor in the engine casing, even after burn-out, so probably a little lingering effect.

Which makes me wonder if the contrail will stop if you shut off engines above the contrail generating boundary, or if it's a boolian switch.

I’m not sure what to think of this... Missiles have emitted a “contrail” for as long as I can remember in DCS. Whether it was smoke from the propulsion motor, or high altitude - they’ve been there... right?

Cheers,

Don (callsign Ziptie)

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

I’m not sure what to think of this... Missiles have emitted a “contrail” for as long as I can remember in DCS. Whether it was smoke from the propulsion motor, or high altitude - they’ve been there... right?

Cheers,

Don (callsign Ziptie)

i was under the impression, that - in dcs - smokeless rocket motors never contrailed, whatever the altitude.

Edited by twistking

i was under the impression, that smokeless rocket motors never contrailed, whatever the altitude.
AMRAAM's do contrail at high altitude:

but it shouldn't be as thick as the Russian 'residue' motor smoke.

IMHO, it should be added. But the AMRAAM should also receive it's updated flight model ;).

AMRAAM's do contrail at high altitude:

but it shouldn't be as thick as the Russian 'residue' motor smoke.

IMHO, it should be added. But the AMRAAM should also receive it's updated flight model ;).

i was referring to dcs only. i edited my post.