[FIXED] AJS-37 Viggen Crash to desktop

will-

What do you mean internally fixed?

I just tried to fly again and it crashed every time, doesnt seems fixed at all.

For the last 8 hours i have this module i havent managed to fly much around... Should i go for the refund?

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That means Heatblur have already found a fix and sent it to ED, but it hasn't been patched on the the public release yet (source: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3541674&postcount=10)

You should definitely not go for a refund over this issue.

But I want to have something i can actually play without having to restart game after each flight.. Giving them money and then discovering that it is useless (BUT still posted for sale) is a bit scammish, dont you think? Will F-14 be the same when they release it? I hope not.

Sale is just 5 more days.. i dont want to be stuck with useless module! Are other products affected as well?

Some official info would be most welcomed btw! This just killed my whole trust in Heatblur completely... :( :( :(

The post I linked is from a Heatblur dev. Doesn't get more official than that.

Seriously, you're way over reacting (and, no offense, but you're showing that you've never had to develop complex software before). Bugs happen all the time in every module (every piece of software that gets changed a lot really), are more or less unavoidable simply because coding stuff is hard and complicated, and yes, they are annoying, but at least when it comes to Heatblur they actually get tracked down and solved pretty quickly. This particular one literally couldn't possibly have been solved faster; in fact, the only reason it still hasn't been solved is that last Wednesday stable was brought to the same version of beta and therefore no additional changes were pushed.

In the meantime I suggest you relax and start reading the 375 pages worth of manual :P

But I want to have something i can actually play without having to restart game after each flight.. Giving them money and then discovering that it is useless (BUT still posted for sale) is a bit scammish, dont you think? Will F-14 be the same when they release it? I hope not.

Sale is just 5 more days.. i dont want to be stuck with useless module! Are other products affected as well?

Some official info would be most welcomed btw! This just killed my whole trust in Heatblur completely... :( :( :(

Although I wouldn't be this harsh, I have to admit I am disappointed too. Overall a great potential in this module but there are so many areas it is lacking. So many - unlike in other high fidelity modules - non functional switches. Also, many switches that are actually functional are non clickable and not animated. I mean how is that possible that the toe brake is not animated? Seriously. And the radar stick. And the countermeasures release knob. And the magnetic declination knob. And many more. If it was on release day, I'd say, alright, just came out. But the product is available for more a year now and these obvious things have not even been touched. And instead of getting this one right first, the team already shifted focus onto the F-14. So far, not impressed.

... Also, many switches that are actually functional are non clickable and not animated. I mean how is that possible that the toe brake is not animated ...

That's problems with cosmetics mainly. The Viggen-module is a *complex* piece of software done by a *small* studio. One gets a jet modelled in high detail for the price of a few cinema tickets. Most of the urgent problems and mission-preventing-bugs are solved already.

I don't regret paying a moderate price for an moderate imperfect product. The developers will have to fix the remaining bugs, you're right. The studio delivers updates regularly. I'm confident and patient.

I can't see we customers of niche products have that much options today. The pressure of business enforces the developers to publish software as soon as possible. A small studio usually has no financial reserve to survive years of development. Accepting a number of bugs while satisfying the expectations of most of the customers without exceeding the budget - that's a kind of art (or gambling). :cry:

"Those who admire me for my 275 kills know nothing about war" Günther Rall

That's problems with cosmetics mainly. The Viggen-module is a *complex* piece of software done by a *small* studio. One gets a jet modelled in high detail for the price of a few cinema tickets. Most of the urgent problems and mission-preventing-bugs are solved already.

I don't regret paying a moderate price for an moderate imperfect product. The developers will have to fix the remaining bugs, you're right. The studio delivers updates regularly. I'm confident and patient.

I can't see we customers of niche products have that much options today. The pressure of business enforces the developers to publish software as soon as possible. A small studio usually has no financial reserve to survive years of development. Accepting a number of bugs while satisfying the expectations of most of the customers without exceeding the budget - that's a kind of art (or gambling). :cry:

As a customer I do not really care about the size of the studio and the business and market in general. As long as other developers managed to deliver a fully clickable, just as complex (if not more) high end product without the aforementioned issues or lack of functionality it is a fair expectation from this developer too since the price tag is basically the same. The Viggen is on the market for a year and a half yet basic stuff such as essential animations are missing. Half of the switches are dummy including switches that otherwise have a function but the actual switch isn't clickable. I don't know the company therefore I can't say I trust them. I see what I believe. What I see is a product that was released a year and a half ago and is full of dummy switches despite being a high fidelity module - lacking so basic animations such as the toe brake and the radar stick and many, many more. Let's see if the developers have any intention addressing the above issues before the module gets out of Early Access. If not, then this was my first and last purchase from Heatblur.

As a customer I do not really care about the size of the studio and the business and market in general ...

Your choice to see it all-or-nothing.

I prefer a chance of flying a rare bird with a number of minor bugs at take-off. Modelling such a plane often is a heartfelt wish realized by enthusiasts. I hope there will be more nerds and freaks living their dream: please model your plane and sell it! I accept the need to buy a beta-product. I accept a few years bug-hunting, too. I even accept the risk some of the products finally remain buggy.

My risk is 50 or 30 € during the summer-sale. For that I already got dozens of hours fun while learning and testing the module. I own some by DCS - all had teething problems and finally are worth the money. Working costs for some modules are well below 10 cents per hour of fun now. A thrifty hobby, right?

"Those who admire me for my 275 kills know nothing about war" Günther Rall

I can confirm this also.

If I quit misson without landing and hit re-fly it is working.

But if i land first then it CTD.

This is with the OB with todays hot fix installed(DCS 2.5.2.19273 Update 6 Hotfix).

Best regard

M

Edited by surstromming
added version number

:(

Could you guys maybe test the same in some other module? We had a crashing bug when Viggen unloaded but that was fixed at least internally a while ago. Neither me nor anyone in the testing-team has had any CTDs since.

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

:(

Could you guys maybe test the same in some other module? We had a crashing bug when Viggen unloaded but that was fixed at least internally a while ago. Neither me nor anyone in the testing-team has had any CTDs since.

I tested this just now with the Mirage and that is working without CTD.

Tested both to quit and re-fly without landing and after landing and it worked both times.

Best regards

M