Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

All the planes are stuttering constantly. It's impossible to do anything air to air.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. Server's been going nuts for the last 2-3 days. Can't figure out why... I'll contact the providers tomorrow.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Hey Alpenwolf, I was thinking maybe you could try to setup a mission that is a little more Blueflag-esque, see maybe if it'll attract some larger server population?

I had one like that. check out the third post on the front page of this thread. Will put it back online some time, don't worry. Right now I'm struggling with the server's performance.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

I'm aware of it, boys. Testing relentlessly. Good chance it's a hardware issue. Sorry, guys...

EDIT:

Looks like the problem is from DCS itself. Had a word with one of their technical support agents and he's checking out some stuff. Note that I still run the server the old way and not through the DCS dedicated servers. That might be a thing now.

Waiting on the agent to respond.

Edited by Alpenwolf

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

The Cold War server runs now on the DCS dedicated servers. The DCS technical support agent with whom I had been in contact over the last 2 days couldn't really find the problem in the DCS software itself. My guess is that the last update "maybe" has changed something in the netcoding process. So I'm with no other choise but to run the dedicated server. Not that I'm saying it's bad, but after having a none dedicated server for over than 4 years and feeling comfortable at it, I didn't just want to walk away from it.

IP is still the same, missions the same etc. I only hope we get rid of the lags that occurred recently.

S!

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

So far so good, went into combat earlier today and bagged a few kills with no issues aside from a short lag spike when tailing a Viggen. Thank you for working so hard on ironing out the issues!

DCS module wishlist: F-104S ASA-M Starfighter / F-111F Aardvark / F-4E Phantom II / J 35F2 Draken / J-7M AirGuard / Kfir C.2 / MiG-17F / MiG-21 Bison / Mirage F1 / Su-17M4 / Su-24M / Yak-9U

Yes good to see things up and running again, definitely a bit of lag here and there when doing A/G strikes but nothing unbearable.

I've noticed a bit of lag myself, but nothing serious. It's so frustrating that I have to run it through the DCS dedicated server these days. I mean, suddenly the server started lagging like crazy. Neither the server provider nor the ED technical support agent were able to find the problem. We looked into it for 4-5 days and found nothing. I can only hope the dedicated servers become better in time.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Played for an hour or so today, no lag to speak of.

DCS module wishlist: F-104S ASA-M Starfighter / F-111F Aardvark / F-4E Phantom II / J 35F2 Draken / J-7M AirGuard / Kfir C.2 / MiG-17F / MiG-21 Bison / Mirage F1 / Su-17M4 / Su-24M / Yak-9U

Had fun today with the Kh-66 Grom missiles in the mission When The Mountains Cry. Taking two missiles and off to the TA. Firing one at a time at the buildings there, then immediate RTB avoiding any contact with bandits. Then again. And again. Until the TA was demolished. Beautiful missiles :smilewink:

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Shame 21bis couldn't use them in real life.

According to Wikipedia the MiG-21 does carry the Grom missile. Further on it states that North Korea and Serbia still use the missile. And there is a list of former users of the missile as well. A variant of it, the Kh-23, was designed for the MiG-23, so there you go.

And also here: https://weaponsparade.com/weapon/kh-66-as-7-kerry/

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

The version of the MiG-21 that is modelled in DCS doesn't use the Grom missile in real life though. Leatherneck/M3 back in the day said they included it anyway. Guess they knew it would be a fun thing to have, but the purists (rightfully) turn up their noses to that.

It's not about the airframe, it's about the radar. The Kh-66 (and the RS-2US) could only be fired by MiG-21 variants that carried the RP-21 Sapfir. The official Polish bis manual (factory designation izdeliye 75A, equipped with the RP-22SMA) supports this - neither the Kh-66 nor the RS-2US are listed as available air-to-ground weapons. These can be fired by any Fishbed model that isn't an S, SM, SMT or bis.

EDIT:

You're right Kang, they only added it to expand our MiG's weapon arsenal, not because it was used in real life.

Edited by _Firefly

The S-24's are awesome. However, I've noticed a bit more drag with them and you can't fire 'em one at a time. So one shot, one target.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Again, thanks for all the donations, guys. Every penny helps me out with running the server.

And as promised, here is the list of May's doantors:

paypal-may-2019.png

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

We flew on the server on Monday. Winter with haze was causing some odd pixel jitters out to sea and terrible glare on the canopies, so we left. VR is already terrible for spotting but the server settings made it worse.