Newbie Alert!!

JanK

Hope this is the correct forum to post this............

Hello everyone, an old man here with time on his hands will try to get to grips with flightsims :joystick:

And by newbie and do mean never even had my hands around a joystick kinda newbie, just been watching videos and screenshots year after year wondering how on earth you do what you do :notworthy:

So my son passed down a rig to me last week with a x-52 pro joystick and i tought since i have time on my hands i might aswell give it a try myself, but im kinda overwhelmed atm, hehe.

Have DCS World, FC3, KA-50 and the A-10C installed.

Have found a few training videos on youtube i'm currently viewing but have a few questions.

Would you recommend i start with the aircraft from FC3 as (if i understood this right) don't have clickable cockpits and would perhaps be a nice way to learn? or maybe a WWII aircraft?

Will take me about a year to get the hang of all these buttons on my x-52 anyway :)

Any hints or tips would be very helpfull.

Sorry for my bad english skills.:doh:

One small step at a time. Go slow and go fun. Maybe establish some kind of a vague plan/goals and share that with us. Stick to one platform. Unless you're the kind of person who craves variety, in which case, obviously do not.

You don't need that many buttons to just fly the aircraft. Does flying work fine for you? Obviously helicopters and fixed wing are very different, pick the one that interests you the most and maybe learn the basics with that first.

Also... you've picked the most complicated plane in the simulator and the most complicated helicopter in the sim as well... if you actually want to use the weapon systems etc. :lol:

Autostart can be a good idea. Also learn the different camera views like F3, helps tons with helicopters. FC3 aircraft can be nice in the beginning, up to you what you want.

Anyway... welcome to the club and I hope you'll have a good time! :smilewink:

Edited by Varis

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

Welcome to the forums, and welcome to the wonderful world of flight sims! :thumbup:

It's always been debated whether the FC aircraft with their simplified avionics are the best way for newcomers, or whether the full fidelity modules are easier because they're fully clickable.

Personally, I recommend the fully clickable modules, because learning the aircraft will also teach you a lot about aviation that you might otherwise just take for granted.

Since the release of the Yak-52, I think this is actually the best aircraft to get anyone started. It's very simple avionics-wise, and has excellent flying characteristics. It's fully capable of aerobatics, and it's also easy to stall (*) and easy to recover. The Yak-52 can land on grass, so once you master landings on concrete runways, you can just pick a grass field and get proficient landing out in the wild.

Being a trainer, the aircraft is also the perfect choice to teach you about aerodynamics, and as a prop it requires a fair amount of rudder input. And with no electronic helpers of any kind, it's as much stick and rudder as it gets. Plus, navigation is basically looking out the window and so it teaches good basic skills.

It's also a two-seater with Multiplayer capacity, so you could look for fellow DCS pilots to hop into your back-seat and teach you how to fly over TeamSpeak, Skype, Discord, or any other voice comms that you have available. Or the back-seater could just take control and show you how it's done for you to repeat.

There's an option to switch the cockpit to English (some texts are still in Cyrillic, but hopefully they'll be translated soon) and while the aircraft is from Russia, you can apply everything you learn to all the other DCS modules, regardless of Western or Eastern origin.

And then, as you progress, you could even follow it up with the L-39 Albatros or the C-101 as a two-seat jet trainer, which are both very well suited to introduce you to much more modern avionics from the east and the west, respectively, or you could jump straight ahead and get whatever module you're most interested in.

Then it comes down to personal preference: Close Air Support? Deep Strike? Anti-Ship? Air-to-Air? Multi-Role? Helicopters? Russian, American, European, Chinese? Take your pick, because DCS has it all. :D

So if there's any doubt left, I highly recommend getting the Yak-52 and starting with it until you feel that you've become really competent in it, because there's simply no way to go wrong with it. :thumbup:

(*) Regarding the stall characteristics, the Yak just wants to fly, and it takes a lot of bad input to stall it by accident. However, unlike some of the other DCS modules, it's quite easy to stall it on purpose and learn what happens when the aircraft departs controlled flight, and how to recover from it.

I remember finding the A10C on steam way back in 2012/2013, The whole thing overwhelmed me at first to, I enjoyed the full clickable pit, I followed the in game tutorials, I could always take off but never land it, As others have said just have some fun with it, Find a group and fly with others to learn quicker, Try the squadron directory in multi player thread, Teamspeak or discord is a good start.

I haveto agree my first purchase was FC3, but felt something was missing Ive now purchased the Av8b and the FA 18 which im really enjoying the challenge of learning how to fly and the systems

The FA18 has loads of training missions that are really helping understand the aircraft

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I agree with Varis, the A10c and Ka50 are probably the most complicated airplane and helicopter. Not the best place to start if you want to feel some accomplishment anytime soon. But, both are awesome and fun to play with.

I personally think that the Harrier(AV-8B) is a good place to start. You can learn how to takeoff, navigate, land, and fire some guns/missiles. Each task might take you a day or so. Step by step... Learn what you want.. And the Hornet is similar to the Harrier, so you could learn that after and should be easier.

But I would suggest learn one of the FC3 aircraft first so you can get up to speed and flying and destroying things faster and easier. And having fun quicker!! And you'll learn procedures and tactics that you can use as you progress to other aircraft, like Radio procedures, Tactics for ground attacking, defensive maneuvers, etc..

Good Luck!

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

1. Pick one plane/helo and stick with it (watch videos, read the sections of the manuals as needed and grab "Chuck's Guide" to get started) - https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=135765

2. Map the same functions to each button on your X52 for each plane/helo you fly as you go along. You will be able to use the same buttons for 90% of the key bindings across all DCS planes/helos. Over time your muscle memory will kick in and you won't have to think about what you are pressing when you go to do something.

3. DCS comes with the TF-51, so if you are interested in a fully clickable warbird, you already have one.

4. While more complex, many people find the fully clickable modules to be easier to learn, because you do not have to memorize keyboard commands and button presses for every function.

4a. FC3 planes use common keyboard/button functions so once you learn one you have most functions covered in all.

5. Have fun and welcome!!!

Edited by SVgamer72

Thank you all for reply.

I'll have a look at those two seater aircrafts, have a friend im forcing into this aswell :megalol:

Might spring for some more terrain aswell, the Persian Gulf map looks just to good.

I do like the clickable cockpits but as stated before it just might be to mutch, but then again, having a blast just starting the damn things :)

One issue with my stick, i realy dont like the throttle, it has some sort of resictanse on buttom and on the top (if that made any sence), found this video:

This a good idea?

And a little video of myself, so proud, haha, took me about 50 times before i nailed it.

Those Detents are good. I wish I had them on my throttle. I am look at modifying mine so it has those!! Get used to them. Don't get rid of them.

You can adjust your throttle curve so that the detent(bump) is right where the afterburner starts! So then you will know by the bump that you are at the top of your full military power, and if you move it further you will engage the afterburner. That is very useful.

The lower/first bump is for engine idle I think. Some aircraft(FA18, Harrier) have this and you need to move the throttle out of idle when starting the engine.

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

JanK,

Welcome. Norway is such a beautiful country by the way. Sandefjord and every other place is beyond beautiful!

Anyhoo, Take it slowly. If you start with the A10C and *not* worry about the weapons system, it's a very forgiving plane. Easy to take off and land in. And I would HIGHLY recommend "bunyaps" down on the range sets of videos for A10C. He series starts with A10A that's part of FC3, but I would just skip those and go straight to the A10C. You can practice one thing at a time, as his videos are no more than 30min or so.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Once again thank you for replying :)

Had a chance to play around with the different modules and i think my route will be learning the su's and the Mig's and the a-10a.

As stated before this is my first flight Sim so the 'workload' on the simpleflied aircraft is more than enough to start with.

I do take the ka-50 out for a spin now and then just to have a look at the amazing details in this Sim.

My biggest concern is still the x-52 as i struggle remember the buttons i program but that will get better over time hopefully.

What a lot of people(me) do is make a keycard for your controllers. With so many planes it's easy to forget all you've learned if you don't fly an aircraft for a month.

I suggest making a keycard for each aircraft. Use MS Paint, or Word and type your command assignments on a blank keycard.

What a lot of people(me) do is make a keycard for your controllers. With so many planes it's easy to forget all you've learned if you don't fly an aircraft for a month.

I suggest making a keycard for each aircraft. Use MS Paint, or Word and type your command assignments on a blank keycard.

Thank you, that will be very helpfull :thumbup:

Think i made a poo......

Installed some ground textures that look great from altitudes but kinda washed out down low, and ofc i did not back up my files, doh.

Will a 'repair' fix it (install default textures)?

Will a 'repair' fix it (install default textures)?

Depends.

One way to install mods is to install them directly into the program directory, by default C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamic\DCS World. If you installed into this directory, you should uninstall the mod and then run a DCS repair, and that should fix it.

The preferred way to install mods is to put them into Saved Games\DCS. If that's where you installed the mod, simply delete it and the problem should be fixed, no repair necessary.

Generally speaking, if DCS is acting weird and a repair doesn't solve the problem, renaming or deleting Saved Games\DCS and starting fresh is often the easiest way to fix things.

Depends.

One way to install mods is to install them directly into the program directory, by default C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamic\DCS World. If you installed into this directory, you should uninstall the mod and then run a DCS repair, and that should fix it.

The preferred way to install mods is to put them into Saved Games\DCS. If that's where you installed the mod, simply delete it and the problem should be fixed, no repair necessary.

Generally speaking, if DCS is acting weird and a repair doesn't solve the problem, renaming or deleting Saved Games\DCS and starting fresh is often the easiest way to fix things.

Well, copy it first to a new location. The HOTAS config, log books etc are in the SAVED GAMES folder.

But agreed on letting DCS rebuild the folder.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

This went straight into the bazar/world ect folders.

Sure you know it, textures by mustang?

I'll leave it for now as fixed wing will be my primary goal :)

ANd...i have trust issues (Spellcheck), i don't trust my instruments :helpsmilie: :megalol:

Stuggeling with landings, coming in way to high, but but but it looks so low following the hud ect, hehe, back to practise some more :joystick:

Edited by JanK

Right, on to a few setting questions (i'll keep it in here, no point spamming all the forums in here)

MSAA vs SSAA, i'm running msaa x 4 atm, my son keeps telling me i should run SSAA instead, (trust issues again, little bastid think he knows all :lol:).

He stated since im running a 1080GTX graphic card but only a 1080p monitor i wont notice much difference in fps. I'm at work atm so cant test it out myself, just curious if the little sob is lying to me :P

I am have some stutter issues, once again my son comes to the rescue and tell me i should spring for a ssd drive to put my game on, good idea?

Thx in advance :thumbup: (i freaking love these smilies)

I personally run 1.5 SSAA and 2xMSAA to lose the shimmering . SSD is generally helpful to DCS . It radically improves DCS start-up time , and terrain load stutters are minimised with pagefile on SSD .

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

My suggestion would also be to start with a trainer. The Yak-52 is probably the easiest to start with, and the Albatros and the C-101 being just slightly more complicated.

The advantage of the Albatros and the C-101 is that they are also quite capable, if somewhat limited, ground attack aircraft or even fighters. This means that you can stick with one aircraft for a variety of missions, from practicing take-off and landing, through aerobatics, to weapons practice and finally real combat. This is also their disadvantage, since these weapon systems do add additional complexity. The Yak is easier in that respect. I do think that the Yak benefits a lot from having rudder pedals, which is not absolutely required on the jets, incl. the Albatros and C-101.

Between the Albatros and C-101, I find the cockpit of the C-101 easier to use. When I first flew it, I could figure out how to do most things, including launching weapons, without even looking in the manual. The Albatros is a bit more complicated, especially the weapons systems. But for me as a European, the big disadvantage of NATO aircraft, including the C-101, is the @##$%^@# Imperial system with feet and knots instead of the Albatros' metric system. You will get used to it, but even though I have a Maritime background and am used to knots as a measure for a ship's speed, I have real difficulty dealing with it as aircraft speed. Km/h is just much easier to feel and understand for me. And don't be put off by the Russian language cockpit, because it's very easy to switch to an English languange cockpit/

With regards to clickable cockpits, it is often thought that full fidelity modules are somehow more complicated to operate than FC3 modules. My opinion is the complete opposite. In a clickable cockpit you can just look around you for the correct button to push, instead of having to memorize buttons on the keyboard or joystick. Initially it's a good idea to hit the pauze button, but you'll soon learn where the important buttons are. You *may* eventually want to program certain buttons on your stick or throttle, but all that I have programmed on my Thrustmaster Warthog is usually just the view controls and the trigger button.

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

With regards to clickable cockpits, it is often thought that full fidelity modules are somehow more complicated to operate than FC3 modules. My opinion is the complete opposite. In a clickable cockpit you can just look around you for the correct button to push, instead of having to memorize buttons on the keyboard or joystick. Initially it's a good idea to hit the pauze button, but you'll soon learn where the important buttons are. You *may* eventually want to program certain buttons on your stick or throttle, but all that I have programmed on my Thrustmaster Warthog is usually just the view controls and the trigger button.

Strange how just that tends to happen. Although on the gazelle I have my view controls on the main joystick + keyboard. Hat on the throttle is auto-hover.

And of course there's a button to ceremonially "uncage skhval"... when you mean business :smilewink:

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS