Notices

Old 04-21-2018, 11:45 PM   #1
uboats
ED Tester / ED Moderator

Default F-4 Phantom II Radar & Anti-SAM Tactics

find an interesting video:

F-4 Phantom II Radar & Anti-SAM Tactics 1967 US Air Force; Vietnam War

Quote:
"AN/APR-25 & 26 in the F-4 (TAC Installation) Sept. 1967" Produced by the Electronic Warfare Center Special Projects Division of North American Aviation, with technical assistance from the 4537th Fighter Weapons Squadron (Wild Weasel), Nellis Air Force Base, Las Vegas, Nevada.

Describes the F-4 fighter radar system, and tactics for detecting and avoiding SAM (surface-to-air missile) attacks during the Vietnam War.

Originally a public domain film from the Library of Congress Prelinger Archives, slightly cropped to remove uneven edges, with the aspect ratio corrected, and one-pass brightness-contrast-color correction & mild video noise reduction applied.
The soundtrack was also processed with volume normalization, noise reduction, clipping reduction, and/or equalization (the resulting sound, though not perfect, is far less noisy than the original).

My DCS Mods, Skins, Utilities and Scripts

| Windows 10 | i7-4790K | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | 32GB RAM | 2TB SSD + 1TB HDD |
| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |
uboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 06:23 AM   #2
Nexus-6

This one caught my attention since (I assume) will the same block as the Phantom we're getting.

It seems to be some kind of introduction of F-4 pilots new to the slatted 'E' and thus, doesn't delve into much detail. In any case, I don't recall seeing it posted before.

https://youtu.be/TTc1QI_PJI4

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited by Nexus-6; 04-22-2018 at 06:35 AM.
Nexus-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:53 PM   #3
Robert31178

Dead link Nexus
Robert31178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:04 PM   #4
Nexus-6

I thought that I screwed up somehow when doing the copy/paste, but I can't even find the video on YouTube anymore. I guess it's been removed.

Oh, well.
Nexus-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:46 PM   #5
Beamscanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaSimulations View Post
I would love Electronic Warfare featured in this, but it uses A2G radar. Luckily the radar isn't as complex as modern systems though.
Actually, old school pulsed radar is harder to simulate as you have to account for all of the clutter from the ground, clouds, chaff, etc. You also have to account for target RCS, as RL pilots were able to tell the rough size of the target and perhaps its aspect just by the raw return on the display.

Plus, nailing that phosphorus CRT glow effect on the screen can be a challenge.
Beamscanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 01:38 AM   #6
Kirk66

True story: Flying F-4Es in the P.I, going up against some F-5E aggressors. Running in on an intercept, I can see the F-5 orbiting (big return - fade - big return with no range change). Then the return gets REAL SMALL and starts moving down the scope - F-5 inbound!

Or: closing on a tanker (a KC-10 in this case) as the range closed, the engines broke out from the fuselage return, so there were 3 big returns. Easy to pick out a KC-10 from a mixed formation of KC-135s and 10s.

Real WSO fu: line abreast, lock on to the sidelobe return from the wingman and read the range on the VI meter. Great for calibrating eyeballs before the fight.

But don't get me wrong, I'll take an APG-82 any day!

Vulture
Kirk66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 03:32 AM   #7
streakeagle

Robin Olds didn't care for RWR. The USAF had started modding his unit's F-4Cs with the early versions being bolted in. His point was this: his missions took him into the heart of North Vietnam's air defenses which were incredibly dense with search, SAM, and AAA radars. On any given day, his display and audio were cluttered with constant warning of searches/locks/launches etc. Given the very visual nature of SA-2s, his opinion was that the RWR was a useless increase of workload that was better served by turning it off and keeping your eyes out of the cockpit. If he could see an SA-2 coming his way, he could take the necessary actions to defeat it. Whereas if he reacted to the non-stop threats from all directions on his RWR, he wouldn't ever accomplish anything beyond evading SAM/AAA threats.