request AGM-87 Focus for the F-5E - ED Forums

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 10:17 PM   #1
Bad_Karma-701

Default request AGM-87 Focus for the F-5E

the US Modified the aim-9b IR A2A . INTO AGM-87 during 69/70 for the light aircraft platforms and they were used to kill trucks and other light targets that emitted a IR signature. sometimes homing in on the trucks headlights... so the weapons system on the outboard or inboard pylons is a logical placement. and since the F-5E currently lacks any a2g missile. this would be a logical addition to regain some of that using current data and systems. with minimum effort compared to other systems. similar in aspect to the radar sidearm agm-122. based on the AIM-9C.

Last edited by Bad_Karma-701; 02-26-2018 at 06:48 PM. Reason: spelling error.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:05 PM   #2
Lucas_From_Hell

If Wikipedia has its dates correct, the AGM-87 stopped being used two years before the F-5E had even made its first flight.

The F-5E has plenty of punch in air-to-ground, only it requires you to do the homework instead of relying on CCIP/CCRP.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:26 AM   #3
SierraFox

the Tiger II was never equipped with an AGM-87. in fact, as far as i can find, our variant was never equipped with any air to ground missiles at all. Therefore it wouldn't make sense to include it on the module.

You have to remember that DCS is about realism, and armaments should be restricted to what they actually used during service or are documented in the public domain

Quote:
since the F-5E currently lacks any a2g
what? the 5 other pylons can have a large variety of A2G weaponry. just because it doesn't have AGMs doesn't mean it's useless. Either way the F-5e was primarily designed to be an air-to-air light fighter, not a ground pounder.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:51 PM   #4
todd022

Request Granted.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:22 PM   #5
MiG21bisFishbedL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Karma-701 View Post
since the F-5E currently lacks any a2g

Move MiG. For great justice. You know what you doing. Take off every MiG.
CH Combatstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals
Old 02-21-2018, 05:55 PM   #6
Mr_sukebe

Try the F5 with GBUs. Works very nicely if you have someone else lasing for you.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:24 PM   #7
Nanne118

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraFox View Post
the Tiger II was never equipped with an AGM-87. in fact, as far as i can find, our variant was never equipped with any air to ground missiles at all.
Were the AGM-65 Mavericks (A's and B's) not available to work on the variant we have? It is just not implemented because Belsimtek was unable to find any resources about how the radar sight (which is actually a TV monitor) interfaced with the Mavericks; they said that they would implement it when someone can find the required resources though

Groundpounder extraordinaire

Spoiler:
SPECS: i7-4790K, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 16 GB RAM, MSI GTX 980ti, Thrustmaster WARTHOG HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Rudder pedals, TrackIR 5
Old 02-21-2018, 07:56 PM   #8
Freeroamer

That would be cool.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:29 PM   #9
SierraFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanne118 View Post
Were the AGM-65 Mavericks (A's and B's) not available to work on the variant we have? It is just not implemented because Belsimtek was unable to find any resources about how the radar sight (which is actually a TV monitor) interfaced with the Mavericks; they said that they would implement it when someone can find the required resources though
From one of the websites I was looking at regarding the tigers weapons
"The only images I have found of USAF F-5s carrying AGM-65 Mavericks were taken during the weapons evaluation test phase over Edwards AFB in 1976 and not on any operational aircraft"

So while they can be attached, they never entered service, and none of the public documents mentioned the AGM as an armament. It certainly may have become available in later versions or country specific upgrades, but there is little to no evidence (at least that I could find) that the f-5e-3 ever entered service with a maverick. I agree that it would be cool, but I still don't think we should have it
Old 02-22-2018, 05:08 AM   #10
Dudikoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraFox View Post
So while they can be attached, they never entered service, and none of the public documents mentioned the AGM as an armament. It certainly may have become available in later versions or country specific upgrades, but there is little to no evidence (at least that I could find) that the f-5e-3 ever entered service with a maverick. I agree that it would be cool, but I still don't think we should have it
IIRC,it was the E-5 that was mentioned in the context of adding Mavericks so if BS had the documentation and wanted to add it, they could just add a new E-5 variant to DCS (IIRC, the radar also had a different designation, but don't remember from earlier discussions if there were significant differences besides the support for the combined TV/radar screen).
i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1 btn 2 axis gameport joystick, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are absolutely useless. Just passing time till DCS: F-14..

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!
Closed Thread