DCS Newbie (Sorry!)

Firstly I want to say thanks for this forum, without it I would be sat at home still scratching my head, but the advice from threads on here have really helped me understand the basics.

This has probably been asked a million time before so my apologies for asking it once again.

I am a Civilian Instructor at Air Cadets in the UK, we have a decent machine using VR, Saitek X52 Pro HOTAS and TM pedals so all the hardware is there.

Recently we have moved away from FSX and gone onto DCS and want to get a basic tutorial campaign up and running for the cadets so they can learn the very basics.

Currently I have created 10 missions, Taxi & Take Off, Navigation, Landing Approach, Landing & Taxi, then a mission encompassing all of the above. (missions 6-10 are weapons missions) but . . . when I run the campaign, the missions don't have any continuity, so I do mission one which will automatically end once the pilot has reached waypoint one, goes to the debrief screen but when you come off this screen, it was my understanding that mission 2 would automatically load up?

What it does instead is take you back to the campaign main page and you have to select the campaign you're on before it will start up, can anyone point me in the right direction as to what I am doing wrong?

Also, regarding points, are these automatically assigned to targets or can I assign a certain amount of points to be awarded for getting within 1000ft of a waypoint?

I realise these are pretty basic questions to most of you but unfortunately so is my knowledge, I am trying however and I'm a quick learner!

Many thanks in advance.

Thanks Nineline, makes sense now, think I set it up so the mission finished at a 'Unit Enters Area' when inside the trigger zone, but as I have set no outcome, it doesn't recognise mission completion, I can see this is going to be a very steep learning curve!!

A quick solution that I would use for this case is adding a trigger:

- when unit enters zone -> set flag 1 to ON

Then, in the mission goals, you could have a single mission goal that checks that the flag 1 is ON:

- Flag 1 is ON -> 100 points

I am a software dev so I ask sorry in anticipation if something is not clear ;)

... it was my understanding that mission 2 would automatically load up?

What it does instead is take you back to the campaign main page and you have to select the campaign you're on before it will start up, can anyone point me in the right direction as to what I am doing wrong?

You are not doing it wrong, as Campaigns are a series of missions string-up together, ED probably tought that most people would be completing each Campaign over several sessions, doing one mission on each :)

Also, regarding points, are these automatically assigned to targets or can I assign a certain amount of points to be awarded for getting within 1000ft of a waypoint?

There are two types of points on a Mission: score points are automatically awarded when the player destroys an enemy vehicle, plane, helicopter or ship, and you dont have any control over it or the points value of each, they are pre-defined.

The other type is "results" points, and those are under your control :) .. for example you can assign 50 points for reaching the first waypoint, then add 25 more if the pilot is within a certain altitude range; and then add 25 more if he is within a certain speed range.

You manage these result points on the "set mission goals" button of the Mission Editor’s toolbar, and you assign the results there. The flow is like this:

- you set up triggers for the appropiate events

- on each trigger you set a flag on to record the event

- on the mission goals you query the flag to assign the result.

At the end of mission screen you can see what result did you obtain during the flight.

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thanks Rudel, I have tried to assign the points but as both you and Leonardo pointed out, it needs a flag to record the event whilst I had a 'Unit Enters Area' condition set which obviously doesn't record the event. I'll be heading to the Sqn in a couple of hours so I shall have a play around and let you know how I got on.