Carrier Script Test

It is possible to AAR in a circle.

From NAVAIR 00-80T-105, July 2009

The recovery tanker shall maintain a rendezvous circle oriented on the CV (Figure 6-13). The rendezvous circle shall contain four reference points. Minimum pattern altitude shall be 1,500 feet. This pattern is a left-hand circle within 5 nm of the CV during launch and recovery operations.

When the last jet is aboard, the tanker shall climb to prebriefed altitude and switch to assigned frequency for control.

page 6-32

OTjR27v.jpg

page 6-36

Playing: F-16C

Intel i7-13700KF, 64GB DDR5 @5600MHz, RTX 4080 ZOTAC Trinity, WIN 11 64Bit Prof.

Squadron "Serious Uglies" / Discord-Server: https://discord.gg/2WccwBh

Ghost0815

Okay.

In the Missioneditor, i setup for the Tanker two waypoints (WP), on the first WP - i setup the Orbit Circle Option under Advance WP Action. The 2nd define the racetrack length.

Would it be possible to get access to the position of the WPs and move these with the moving CSG (Carrier Strike Group)?

Intel i7-13700KF, 64GB DDR5 @5600MHz, RTX 4080 ZOTAC Trinity, WIN 11 64Bit Prof.

Ghost0815

So I did some 'research' (asked Grimes) and he told me it's a long-standing bug that AI will only treat waypoints created during a mission as fly over waypoints. I'll have a look at scripting a racetrack pattern, but that comes with another problem:

I need some way for the tanker to call the script again.

Right now, I've been setting up 4 waypoints for him to follow and setting a waypoint action (via script) to re-run the function and generate 4 new waypoints.

The problem with orbit/racetrack waypoints is that they never 'complete', meaning tasks assigned to them will never be carried out, i.e. running the script.

I've attempted a workaround by scheduling the script to run itself every <x> seconds, but if there is any error in the time it takes to complete an orbit vs. the time taken to run the script again, (and there always will be) the error processes and the route gets more and more out of sync.

Thanks for the deeper look into it.

Would it be possible to use 2 waypoints, with an option on the 2nd. wp to loop back to the first wp? This would give us something like a circle.

In a case of 'out of fuel' for the tanker, where will be the respawn? Back at the start (ME position) or the new calculation position, close to the carrier?

Ghost0815

That's basically what I've tried. There is a bug regarding how the airport interperets those waypoints. I'm looking into a workaround now.

As for the fuel state, the tanker will rtb on bingo and respawn. If you start it on deck in the mission editor, it will take off and then follow the route again.

• 2 weeks later...

Could you explain how you achieved this:-

Version 0.3 Uploaded

Added TACAN bug workaround- acts autonomously

I see you have the TACAN activated in the triggered actions, how is that being triggered?

Edited by Shadow.D.

• 1 month later...

Hi, thank you for your answer, no worries, for the moment, I use version 0.7 and I add manualy the S3B with DCS triggers. I give it a circle pattern in close to the initial point of the carrier.

With other members of my team we look from our side if we can find a solution for the tanker. Many brain is better.

Thanks again for your work this script is really great.

If you can find a workaround, I'd be really happy to hear it.

The problem is I'm pushing waypoints to the carrier via script, and any waypoints done that way are automatically set to "fly over point" regardless of what they're supposed to be.

BTW, you should use 0.8 because it added other features. Just set the tanker argument to nil (not quotes) and the script will ignore that section of the code.

A lot of information in the missionfile - but if i only want your carrier script ('turn in the wing', Call out BRC, FB, etc.), what do i need from your mission?

Edit: And why start the carrier turning into the wind, just at mission start - would it not be better, you call for 'turn in wind' via F10?

Edited by mwd2

Ghost0815

I posted a setup video in the 2nd post that shows the basic setup.

As for the question of running the script at mission start,

I conceptualized that as the most realistic option, as carriers don't work around the schedule for individual flights, as this would be a logistical nightmare. Instead, they follow a predictable schedule, which is what the script defaults to. If you want to use the f10 commands for convenience' sake, you certainly can.

You could put the function call line in the f10 menu in the mission editor instead of at mission start, and the carrier will sit until you activate the script through the menu.

Also note that you have control over the carrier in the f10 menu included in the script. You could use f10>carrier script>'carrier name'>Stop command at mission start, then use the 'Automatic' command when a few minutes from landing.

Hi Wrench,

We tested the new version of the script with my team, you did a great job, there is just one line that causes problems, in line 363 of the script "if allgroups and allgroups ["units"] [1] ["coalition"] == _G [unit1 .. 'coastring'] then ".

If you delete a group, the script stops, we change the command so that the script does not of interrogation on a "Array nil".

I do not know if you understand because I use google translate, but I will send you in MP the version of the script that we corrected for you to look at.

Have a good day