Carrier Script Test

Hey all.

Thanks to some encouragement on a Discord server, I've decided to post a script/mission I've been working on.

This actually started life a few months ago for the Kuznetsov of all things.

What is it?

This is a script, embedded in a mission, which will tell an Aircraft Carrier to turn into the wind and do its best to maintain 25-30 knots windspeed over the deck.

It will take the landing deck angle into account as well, so pilots will have a near-zero cross-wind component. Works with multiple carriers, and multiple Coalitions.

What's in the mission?

A Group-specific F10 menu system

-To get BRC for carriers

-To override Carrier Return Script

-Is Coalition-specific (Can't control the other coalition's carriers)

A Coalition-specific Tanker Script which will keep spawned tankers near the carrier.

Version 2.0 with supercarrier support video is live!

A few notes:

The script and mission are free to use, edit, etc. but if you repost a modified version of the mission, or a mission using the script, I'd ask you credit me. (I'm not a professional coder so this took a lot of work for me)

The carrier will maintain at least 5 knots or it will endlessly circle.

There is a bit of documentation in the form of a commented section in the LUA file, which you can find built inside the mission.

.miz files are really just .zip archives if you weren't aware.

Hopefully, this will make it a bit easier for you to setup carrier missions, and practice landing.

*****UPDATE 5/27/2020*****

Updated for SC, new video added.

Carrier Script 2.0.lua

Carrier Script 2.0 hotfix 2 Supercarrier.lua

Edited by Wrench
  • Thanks 3

Good!

Couple questions! First caveat, I watched most of the video, but may have missed some things.

Also, I am not at my DCS PC. So I haven't been able to download the miz file yet.

1) Right now, TACAN has a pretty well known issue. For some reason on the carrier, it will die after an amount of time. The workaround we have is to add additional TACAN activation triggers along the pre-plotted route (headwind). Is there a way to have these dynamic waypoints all include the TACAN triggers. Is it somewhere in the script we can add the TACAN triggers to these as well?

2) Is there a way to make a message to all regarding carrier heading? If the heading changes, we would want to know not only is it turning, but what the new BRC is going to be.

I have been learning quite a bit of MOOSE, but haven't had a chance to delve too much into MIST.

Thanks for the work and the great video. Appreciate it.

Edited by BIGNEWY
1.1 profanity.

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group One | Discord

Wasn't aware of the TACAN bug. That should be pretty easy to add.

I've been giving some thought to BRC information, the problem is I can't add anything to the Carrier's comms menu, so it would have to be in the F10 menu. But it shouldn't be a problem to add.

Thanks for the reply!

This is the thread about the TACAN issue folks have been seeing, with the workaround:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=210937

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group One | Discord

It should work with multiple Carriers, actually. To include the BRC. I'm not sure how the carriers returning part of it will work though, I hadn't really written it for that.

It would be possible though. I just need to set it up to use a dynamic variable instead of the static "carrierreturning".

These days, carriers don't conduct flight operations in formation. As you pointed out in your video, Wrench, dynamic weather conditions will drive the carrier to make course corrections to achieve the best winds across the deck, so they tend to keep the carriers in their own operating areas and at least ten miles away from each other.

My question...inspired by MikiBzh...is there a way to have this for multiple carriers maneuvering independently?

Edited by Yoda967

Very Respectfully,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

London

"In my private manual I firmly believed the only time there was too much fuel aboard any aircraft was if it was fire." --Ernest K. Gann

It's pretty close. I'll look into making the last few teaks soon.

Let me briefly explain what isn't currently setup for that.

There's a MiST function used by the script called mist.flagFunc.units_in_polygon Which sets a flag under certain conditions, and cannot be used to run script. Therefore, I have to use the ME to tun the script that returns the carrier to it's IP. So if any carrier gets too far they'll all return. When any one of them gets back, they'll all starting following the wind again.

So I'll have to find a workaround to get a Dynamic Variable for that.

It's something I hadn't invested the time on yet, given the vast majority of the time in my missions I only had players on one Coalition, so only needed one carrier.

Some feedback:

Using version 0.3, and it works like a charm, except that the "returning" transmission repeats every ten seconds.

A second question: Would it be possible to set this up so that the carrier steadies up on flight CORPEN at specific times? For example, say the launch starts at 0830, recovery begins at 0850 and ends at 0915. Would it be possible to have the carrier come into the wind at 0820, and then turn toward the IP to be ready for the next launch cycle to begin at 1000?

Very Respectfully,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

London

"In my private manual I firmly believed the only time there was too much fuel aboard any aircraft was if it was fire." --Ernest K. Gann

Some feedback:

A second question: Would it be possible to set this up so that the carrier steadies up on flight CORPEN at specific times?

Sort of. I've fielded this question on Discord already, so I'll add it here.

The best way I can think of is to delay the script call until a few minutes before you plan on landing. It's kinda difficult to do script-wise because IRL you have humans running the ship.

I might look into an 'override' that can be accessed through the F10 menu, where it will ignore the distip variable, but not the shore variable, as I'd rather delay landing a few minutes than beach the ship.

It'll take some dynamic variable work as well, which I'm currently working on, so I might be able to add something along the same vein.

Thanks for that. I don't know why I didn't think of using timed script calls.

Thanks for your hard work.

Very Respectfully,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

London

Thanks, Wrench!

I'll test 0.6 tonight after work.

As a side question, I've set up my base mission to use the TACAN workaround, but even though I get BRG/RNG properly, there's no identifier displayed on the HSI. If I set up TACAN in the usual way, the identifier is visible, as it should be. Are you seeing this, too?

Very Respectfully,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

London

Thanks, Wrench!

I'll test 0.6 tonight after work.

As a side question, I've set up my base mission to use the TACAN workaround, but even though I get BRG/RNG properly, there's no identifier displayed on the HSI. If I set up TACAN in the usual way, the identifier is visible, as it should be. Are you seeing this, too?

I am seeing the CVN or STN on the HUD ;)

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

I am seeing the CVN or STN on the HUD ;)

Thanks! I figured I was doing something wrong.

I'm setting up the carrier TACAN in Triggered Actions. It makes sense that I need to set up a trigger, as well, but how do I do that in this case?

Very Respectfully,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

London

0.6 Update Ready! This addresses a few of your concerns.

Namely; allows multiple carriers, makes menu system coalition specific and adds a Manual override to stop carriers from returning.

See OP for download, YT video to come soon in 2nd post.

Thank you mate !

Thanks again for your efforts, Wrench! 0.6 works beautifully.

I'm still not getting an identifier for the JOHN C STENNIS' TACAN, though it's set to 'JCS' in the triggered actions. Otherwise, TACAN works fine. Flew a 1+45 sortie last night, and the TACAN was right where I expected it to be on my return leg. Still, the lack of an identifier is troublesome. Any idea how to correct this?

Very Respectfully,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

London

I'm using the script in my own mission, but I'll check it in your demo and report back.

Edit: I don't get the identifier with your mission or my own. My mission is below...I've set up TACAN for STENNIS both ways in this version.

ODR-FA18C-STENNIS_NAS-1.miz

Edited by Yoda967

Very Respectfully,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

London