Vergeev Group Campaign UPDATED!!

BBQ

Some bad news

In one of the latest updates -- you cannot set the tree visibility to zero. The lowest it can go is 30%. Without labels on (and even with labels on in some cases) it is very difficult locate enemy soldiers in a forested area, which in many missions, is essential for moving on in the campaign. Pre-2.5 these areas were not forested, and pulling the trees visibility to 30% doesn't help -- it's more of a distance rendering setting.

In some missions it was a simple matter of moving the soldiers into a non-forested area, provided the area was very close by the original. However, in many missions, the advanced triggers, precisely placed/sized zones, etc. -- has made it very difficult, to the point where briefings/briefing maps, etc., are going to be wrong if I start moving everything around. At other times, friendly helos are trying to drop off/pick up soldiers, and are now crashing into the trees.

To make a long story short, this is going to take a lot more time than I anticipated. I don't want to do the Vergeev Group an injustice by hacking these missions together just so they "work". It will be an ongoing process. I want the quality and craftsmanship to remain, which is part of what drew me to the campaign to being with --

Also, since this is a major release, epic even, I really need to be patient to let the developers work out the kinks. E.g., they may bring back the option to go to 0% trees, which solves 99% of the problems. On the other hand, I could spend a week fixing everything, just to have them do some kind of rollback that breaks it again. This is always a risk in software development -- but it's wise to let things settle down for a bit before putting too much sweat and tears into a project. In the meantime, we're stuck with 1.5.7.

BBQ

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In one of the latest updates -- you cannot set the tree visibility to zero. The lowest it can go is 30%. Without labels on (and even with labels on in some cases) it is

BBQ

thanks for your hard work. totally understand the dilemma

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

In one of the latest updates -- you cannot set the tree visibility to zero.

In some missions it was a simple matter of moving the soldiers into a non-forested area, provided the area was very close by the original. However, in many missions, the advanced triggers, precisely placed/sized zones, etc. -- has made it very difficult, to the point where briefings/briefing maps, etc., are going to be wrong if I start moving everything around. At other times, friendly helos are trying to drop off/pick up soldiers, and are now crashing into the trees.

To make a long story short, this is going to take a lot more time than I anticipated.

BBQ

Having similar issues with default DCS campaign and single missions, I wish you well with the update, these iconic missions deserve to live on. But boy does it take some time to correct them.

Kind regards, Ian.

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

Perfectly understandable. Take your time. I still have 1.5.7 and halfway through the campaign, so I'm not in a hurry.

If one would be allowed to dream, some sort of "lumberjack" functionality in the ME would really be handy for mission builders and maintainers. I might actually post it as a suggestion if not already done by someone else.

Best wishes!

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

@Holton that actually already exists...

Hey BBQ, have you investigated the SCENERY OBJECT REMOVE trigger?

Using this, you can clear forested areas (and even delete buildings) in places where there previously were none. I've had to do this myself in a few of my ops. There is even a sort of built in edge randomization so it doesn't look like huge obvious bare circles.

Edited by feefifofum

Hey BBQ, have you investigated the SCENERY OBJECT REMOVE IN ZONE trigger?

Using this, you can clear forested areas (and even delete buildings) in places where there previously were none. I've had to do this myself in a few of my ops.

Excellent! The lumberjack already exists!

Was just about to post a suggestion in the 2.5 forum. Thanks for the heads-up!

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

@Holton that actually already exists...

Hey BBQ, have you investigated the SCENERY OBJECT REMOVE trigger?

Using this, you can clear forested areas (and even delete buildings) in places where there previously were none.

I was also going to ask for such a feature also, thanks for the info, that will be real handy, haven't investigated half of the new features in the Mission Editor.

Cheers, Ian.

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

I'm grateful for all the time and effort you have already put into restoring this epic campaign (which really set a standard for good campaign design when it came out). I have tried a few of the early missions a few years ago. Unfortunately, it had already been wrecked from updates (back in 1.2). By the time I got to it, it was FREE. But I could see how detailed and professionally it was created. When working, it was well worth the original price.

I haven't flown the Ka-50 in a long time, but I will undoubtedly jump back in whenever this campaign has been restored. I'm confident that it will be well worth the wait. So take your time and do it as best you can. I will gladly PAY $$ for it.

Thanks for all you are doing. We know it's no small task.

SnowTiger:joystick:

• 1 month later...

@BBQ

I have discovered a bug in mission #13. Have played it several times but only reached 99 in success rate. So I examined it in ME and believe I found what's causing it. I'll send you a PM not to ruin the fun for others.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

• 1 month later...

Update to Mission #13

So, I've been in contact with BBQ and got his permission to post an updated version of mission #13. It is only a small thing changed. Due to possible changed behavior of some trigger conditions at some time in history one trigger did not activate, making it impossible to finish with a success rate of 100. I corrected it with no impact on the course of events.

I also hide all enemy units in ME so they would not appear on the map during mission planing before mission start. Did that on some other missions too, might post them as well. I used DCS 1.5.7 (last one) for the edit.

BR

/H

Vergeevs_group_013_eng.miz

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Has the entire Campaign now been re-edited ?

Is it now complete and whole again ?

Are all the files (the full campaign) now available for download somewhere and if so, where ?

Do you mean to 2.5? No, not what I'm aware of.

Still for 1.5.7, avaliable in the first post. I only corrected a small bug in mission #13, avaliable above.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

• 2 weeks later...

Update to Mission #16

So, due to ones again inability to reach success rate 100, this time in mission #16, I now have corrected it and chare the updated miz file. No change to the course of events.

Still for DCS 1.5.7.

Vergeevs_group_016_eng.miz

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
First mission I do spawn inside an aeroplane. So it is not playable for me. :(

I am sad there is a lack of realistic campaigns for the KA-50.

Same here, but when I open this mission in the mission editor I am able to change the parking position of the player's Ka-50. Still it needs to be checked if other bugs remain.

Edited by Tiramisu

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It truly is a bummer that this Campaign can't be made to work in 2.5 (without a giant amount of time and effort).

I would certainly pay "the going rate" for this campaign if it were available. But I can truly appreciate the headache it would be not only to revise it to work in current DCS Builds but to maintain it while DCS continues to tweak things.

Oh Well ... sigh !

SnowTiger:joystick:

From trying to help getting this to work in 1.5.7, I would say the most difficult part to adopt this to DCSW (remember, it's originally made for BS1), is to convince the AI units, airborne and ground, to behave as they were originally ment to behave (for the sake of the campaign that is).

I installed BS 1 just to be able to see how some missions should work (using Tackview), and the AI behavior is massively changed since the BS 1 days, that's for sure! It's the main reason for not being covered to DCSW by the community yet.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

• 2 months later...

hi, is the old version of campaign (black shark 1) available anywhere ? it's made free too? if anyone has any link it would be great to try it on my old laptop :) thank you

i5 4670,8gb ram,gtx 660,logitech freedom 2.4

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...