Dynamic Campaign Engine

MBot

As I needed to change player unit skin in course of campaign here is trigger action for it:

add code bellow to DC_CheckTriggers.lua

function Action.AirUnitLivery(unitName, livery)
for side_name,side in pairs(oob_air) do									--iterate through sides in oob_air
	for unit_n,unit in pairs(side) do									--iterate through units in side
		if unit.name == unitName then									--unit found
			unit.livery = livery
		end
	end
end
end

Here is usage:

["Campaign first day player ferry flight"] = {
active = true,
once = true,
condition = 'camp.mission == 1',
action = {
	[1] = 'Action.AirUnitLivery("Abkhazian 1. Fighter Squadron", "Russian_AF_Camo")',
	[2] = 'Action.SetCampFlag(1, true)',
	[3] = 'PlayerFerryFlight = true',
	[4] = 'Action.Text("Ferry flight to Gudauta")',
},
},

["Campaign after player ferry flight"] = {
active = true,
once = true,
condition = 'PlayerFerryFlight == nil and Return.CampFlag(1)',
action = {
	[1] = 'Action.AirUnitBase("Abkhazian 1. Fighter Squadron", "Gudauta")',
	[2] = 'Action.AirUnitLivery("Abkhazian 1. Fighter Squadron", "Abkhazian_AF_Camo")',
	[3] = 'Action.TargetActive("Sochi-Adler to Gudauta Ferry", false)',
	[4] = 'Action.TargetActive("Gudauta Intercept", true)',
	[5] = 'Action.TargetActive("CAP Sukhumi", true)',
	[6] = 'Action.TargetActive("CAP Gali", true)',
	[7] = 'Action.Text("After Gudauta arrival")',
},
},

I flew my first F-18 over PG flight last night in MP. 2 Clients in a 2-ship. When we trapped back on the Stennis and exited, I accepted the results and it generated the next mission.

The generation covered 4 sim days before it had "Enough" airframes to cover a 2-ship client setup again.

The readme stated something to this effect somewhere, but I am wondering if I increased the quantity from the initial 4 in theater to, say 12 in the oob_air_init.lua, would this help with the DCE generating new missions for MP?

Or....is it far more complicated than that and I should just crawl back under my rock?

Markeebo

I flew my first F-18 over PG flight last night in MP. 2 Clients in a 2-ship. When we trapped back on the Stennis and exited, I accepted the results and it generated the next mission.

The generation covered 4 sim days before it had "Enough" airframes to cover a 2-ship client setup again.

The readme stated something to this effect somewhere, but I am wondering if I increased the quantity from the initial 4 in theater to, say 12 in the oob_air_init.lua, would this help with the DCE generating new missions for MP?

Or....is it far more complicated than that and I should just crawl back under my rock?

Markeebo

The problem comes from the FA-18C on the CV : no more than 4 planes can appear on the deck :(

[/url]All known Dynamic Campaign Engine Campaigns

Last DCE news : Crisis in PG - Blue version

The problem comes from the FA-18C on the CV : no more than 4 planes can appear on the deck :(
Sounds about right, but does it keep your aircraft inventory visible or could you make it 12 and still spawn a 4-ship? On the deck?

I guess I should just make the change and try it. Didn't want to reinvent the wheel if some Enterprising individual had already attempted it. Or miss changing something else somewhere else and screwing up the files

Markeebo

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Well it seems that static planes are not a problem : they didn’t appear on the deck but are not counted as destroyed.

The problem should be when DCE will generate a 4+ Hornet mission : not sure what will happen to the 5th 6th and more planes ?

You can try this and tell us what happened ;)

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

You can also play with sortie rate in your loadout, which determines how many of your ready aircraft are actually available for tasking for a given mission. This is also affected by the mission duration in camp_init as well as the day/night capability of the loadout.

Let's say you have 10 ready aircraft. Per default a 80% availability probability is applied to each aircraft to account for maintenance, so on average 8 airframes will be available for tasking (could be more or less though). Let's say your loadout is day and night capable (24 hours), the mission duration is 2 hours and the sortie rate in the loadout is 3 (per calendar day). This means that each of the 8 airframes will have a 0.25 chance of flying within the span of the next mission (3/24*2). So on average, 2 of your 10 ready aircraft will fly per mission (but could be from anywhere between 0 and 10). I hope I remember the math right, this is all from top of my head :) If you don't want to deal with all of this you can just push sortie rate to 99 and get most of your aircraft flying per mission, though at an unrealistic pace.

Just as a heads-up, I am nearing completion of a major update of DCE with several months worth of work. The biggest thing is probably to make DCE fully compatible with carrier operations, but there are also many other fixes and improvements. Do not expect anything fundamentally new though. The principle functionality remains the same, but there are changes and updates throughout which will require adapting of existing campaigns. I currently do not plan to port my old campaigns. Just to let you guys know.

I hope to get this out before the end of the year. The first campaign will be for the Hornet and the Gulf.

Just as a heads-up, I am nearing completion of a major update of DCE with several months worth of work. The biggest thing is probably to make DCE fully compatible with carrier operations, but there are also many other fixes and improvements. Do not expect anything fundamentally new though. The principle functionality remains the same, but there are changes and updates throughout which will require adapting of existing campaigns. I currently do not plan to port my old campaigns. Just to let you guys know.

I hope to get this out before the end of the year. The first campaign will be for the Hornet and the Gulf.

Awesome, I've been waiting for this! Great news, thanks! :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Well it seems that static planes are not a problem : they didn’t appear on the deck but are not counted as destroyed.

The problem should be when DCE will generate a 4+ Hornet mission : not sure what will happen to the 5th 6th and more planes ?

You can try this and tell us what happened ;)

I made a rough pass at this late last night. I changed the inventory to 12 and made it a 3 Client Campaign. The host(me) spawned on deck fine. The two clients were told that their mission was scheduled later. They exited the server while I remained and they rejoined and spawned on deck but as soon as I unpaused the mission, they blew up. I quickly edited our 4th aircraft out and restarted the mission and had them rejoin and it was fine.

We flew the sortie and returned to find the deck fouled with a hornet that couldn't taxi off if the deck because of another, or a static aircraft was blocking the exit. I think I need to look at the tacview to see what happened on deck during the mission.

So not a great result. The mission was at night and I didn't really look at it with a Keen eye to see what went right and what didn't.

I think that it ultimately didn't work too well. When we got done and I accepted the mission results it took 17 sim days to generate a new package for me. I don't really think that was an effective use of the assets.

I think the best way to run this with clients is to simply let the campaign generate as SP mission, then edit it to make clients out of whatever hornets are there. Maybe two. Maybe four. I already need to go in to force the AWACS and tankers to set freqs for comms so it's not much more work.

@MBOT

Thanks for the suggestion. The sortie rate makes sense. And thank you both for the hard work that you have put into this project. It breathes a life into an otherwise sterile environment.

I'm looking forward to seeing your overhaul results.

Markeebo

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Edited by Markeebo

@ Mbot : great news :)

Will you try to manage AV-8B NA too ? The only way I found to use them is editing the mission to put Harrier flight in hot start on the deck in the good order ( default is 1 3 4 2) ... it solves the weight take off problem too but it’s not really enjoyable without complete start sequence :(

Thanx again for all your work :)

I haven't tested the Harrier yet, but I am under the impression that the whole carrier spawn system is still heavily work in progress anyway. So best will be to wait for the final implementation of carrier spawns and then adapt to that. Right now I have disabled uncontrolled aircraft on carriers, so aircraft are only spawned for immediate start-up and launch. It is pretty ugly as I hate to see AI spawing out of nowhere, but at least aircraft won't block each other. Once the Tarawa is sorted out by RAZBAM, this should hopefully also work with the Harrier.

The good news is that for the first time I was able to generate a mission for Gazelle in a Iran Irak war campaign (with a Farp near the frontline) but the bad news is that when I wanted to launch this mission there were a bug with radio frequency : problem between AM and FM I think ... I was not able to find a solution to this problem :(

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't talked a lot about new features, but here is something I would like to share. As you might be aware, since the beginning I have been using some custom tasks via scripting in order to get AI behavior that is not possible through the ME alone. Namely to let all aircraft within a flight to attack separate static/scenery objects simultaneously. This works because via scripts you can task individual units instead of just whole groups.

Now I think that the air-ground AI is probably the worst AI area in DCS. One thing I always disliked is how after dive-bombing from medium altitude, aircraft would linger around at low level, doing seemingly pointless maneuvering right over the target. This is mostly due to formation keeping requirements:

1. Immediately after dropping ordinance, AI wingmen maneuver to rejoin their leader. This alone already requires various maneuvering and since the leader is maneuvering off targets on it's own, it results in a ballet of dumb lingering over the target.

2. One of the *major* flaws of DCS AI is that flights cannot climb unless all wingmen are in formation. Since after dive-bombing the flight is thoroughly out of formation and rejoining takes ages, all aircraft will egress the target at 1000-ish meters and stay at this most dangerous altitude for miles and miles over hostile territory.

The simple solution was to extend my custom tasking from letting all aircraft individually attacking, to also sending them the the egress point individually, where the flight eventually reforms again. After dropping bombs, all aircraft now directly turn for the egress point and since they are considered single-unit groups at that moment, climb right away to their assigned altitude.

This has resulted in a huge improvement of efficiency and safety in medium-altitude dive bombing against defended targets. All aircraft from a flight dive into the threat zone from above, drop their bombs and climb out towards the egress point and to a safe altitude in a matter of seconds.

DCS AI is still causing me headaches, especially in ground attack. But dive bombing now works pretty well :)

That's great to hear. This has caused me a lot of frustration as well, so it's really good to hear that you have found a way to get around it. :thumbup:

Any update on your Hornet DC?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Nice :thumbup:

I Hope we will be able to test this new attack script soon ! I can't count the number of wingmen killed by enemy Air defense after a successful attack just because they were staying above the target...

Will this script be easy to implemant in DCE campaigns or will it need a complete new system ?

Any update on your Hornet DC?

Progress is good and steady, but it is a long way :)

Nice :thumbup:

I Hope we will be able to test this new attack script soon ! I can't count the number of wingmen killed by enemy Air defense after a successful attack just because they were staying above the target...

Will this script be easy to implemant in DCE campaigns or will it need a complete new system ?

This is already fully integrated with DCE.

Progress is good and steady, but it is a long way :)

Great to hear! I'm really looking forward to this one! :thumbup:

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Quick questions.

What does the fuel part of aloadout represent?

%, lbs, kg, distance?

Also, any rule of thumb for the firepower ratings and speeds of load out?

Wow, such landing, much no gear, so slide...

T.16000M FCS HOTAS

Owned : Flaming Cliff 3 | Mig-21Bis | AJS-37 Viggen | F/A-18C | F-5E | Mirage 2000c | F-14B | Ka-50 | JF-17

Wishlist : F-4 | Mi-24 | MiG-23 | F-15E | F-16

Dev. Wishlist : Tornado | Mirage F1 | MiG-25 | F-104 | Étendard/Super Étendard | Saab 35 Draken | JAS-39 Gripen A

Quick questions.

%, lbs, kg, distance?

They should be kg IIRC.

Tornado3 small.jpg

Quick questions.

%, lbs, kg, distance?

IIRC it is dependent on the module. For example for the F-86 I think it represents lbs and for the Mig-15 it is litres so it can be mixed system of measurement in the same mission, imperial and metric and by weight and volume.

More of a suggestion this time around.

Probably asking for a lot (wouldn't manage to do it myself without quite a lot of learning)

wouldn't it be possible to get the "AI Commanders" to give away missions to ground troops the way it gives out to air force? (Unless I'm missing something and it is already a thing)

Just the idea of it makes me dream to be honest, would make things lot more... Alive?

Just a wild, unreasonable, suggestion I'm perfectly aware, just throwing the idea :D

Wow, such landing, much no gear, so slide...

T.16000M FCS HOTAS

Owned : Flaming Cliff 3 | Mig-21Bis | AJS-37 Viggen | F/A-18C | F-5E | Mirage 2000c | F-14B | Ka-50 | JF-17

Wishlist : F-4 | Mi-24 | MiG-23 | F-15E | F-16

Dev. Wishlist : Tornado | Mirage F1 | MiG-25 | F-104 | Étendard/Super Étendard | Saab 35 Draken | JAS-39 Gripen A