VULCAN FORGE - A Realistic 10 Mission AV-8B Campaign on NTTR

Sedlo

Thank you for a wonderful campaign, especially the radio calls, very professionally done. It had a very Red Flag lite feeling to it, with the missions being very lenient and not very complicated, yet still feeling more or less authentic.

My only real gripe is that they are a tad bit sporty. For the earlier missions, it's not too bad, because you deal mainly with low tech weapons like rockets and bombs and stuff, but for the later ones, especially with the mavs, the set up time doesn't give you a lot to work with, and arming has to be done almost directly after takeoff in order for the weapons to be set up correctly by the time you get your employment range.

Also, having longer flights might help with having to dump copious amounts of fuel in order to get under MLW. I guess I could dump my extra bombs, but those things are expensive.

All in all though, nice job. Definitely one of the most enjoyable campaigns that I have played in this game, and you can't beat the low price of free :)

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.

Sedlo,

I'll offer my thanks, too. Your work is impressive! I hope you don't mind, but I've been dissecting your first mission to see how it's done in DCS. I was a real-world war game scenario designer for 21 years, and that's definitely easier.

Over the weekend, I got tired of waiting for an F/A-18C campaign and frustrated with building my own, so I swapped out the Harriers for Hornets in VF mission 1, and loaded them with 4xMK82s each. (Confession: I *thought* I loaded both with 4xMK82s, but somehow empty-loaded my wingman, who dutifully tried to stay with me through the mission.) I didn't complete the mission, but I was able to get a bomb on the BTR-80 group about 90 seconds after the ambush call.

I clearly won't be able to do the missions requiring PGMs with an F/A-18C yet, but kudos for building such terrific missions!

Very Respectfully,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

London

"In my private manual I firmly believed the only time there was too much fuel aboard any aircraft was if it was fire." --Ernest K. Gann

• 3 weeks later...

Did you update the links because the download link throws a 404 error

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Damn..what a great campaign..for free!

Thank you for putting together this gem. I haven't had any more fun on the campaigns I've bought!

I'm relatively new to the Harrier, and really liked how your campaign got me up to speed using the lazing system to identify and strike targets. Really nice having that feature in each mission without all the usual 9 line routine to get it going. Nice, simple, effective and fun. Also nice getting to exercise the weapons.

Really liked the mission concepts, neat execution parameters, authentic radio dialog and radio bleed over which adds to the emersion.

Also liked the explanation in the printed mission briefing what was required to meet execution parameters and achieve mission completes. Very helpful, and something that's often missing in even the paid campaigns.

The mission complete announcement with music was also a nice touch which added to the sense of accomplishment. Excellent!

Also liked the mission lengths. I prefer the quick flight to the mission objectives, and clear and simple goals to be achieved.. No long drawn stuff. It makes for quick re-flys, and replays by avoiding boring and time consuming evolution's.

You're very creative, talented and produce work that is right up there with the paid campaigns.

Thanks for your outstanding contribution! :thumbup:

Hey Klunker!

I'm really glad you enjoyed it, and thank you for the kind words.

I had a lot of fun making this campaign, and learned a lot along the way. It was a heck of a lot of work, but when I read reviews like this, it makes it all worth it.

I don't often get a ton of computer time to myself, so I am also a fan of the quicker missions.

Cheers, and thanks again!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

*Spoiler*

I'm loving the campaign so far but stuck on mission 3 :(

The loft bombing goes well with the laser guided bomb, the SEAD flight survives, and I take out the BTR with the other bomb...

I've circled north until I've run out of fuel, but the helicopters don't start up.

Can you tell me how the helo startup is triggered? Im not very familiar with the mission editor... I tried setting them to hot start from the ground, but then they disappeared...

Thanks

No, i played through it quickly before work today. The triggers are correct, they’re just not working. The delayed start for helicopters must be borked with this release.

I’ve got an idea for a fix, I’ll try it out and hopfefuly have the file updated tonight.

Thanks for the reply, Im really looking forward to playing the rest!

If they set off at a certain time, I'll try playing again and make sure I loiter until then.

Played it 3 times, not sure if I did it too quick? ;)

OK, Vulcan Forge ver. 1.7 is now up and running. Helos will take off and land at the prison. There is a chance they will remain on the ground there, but if you get the message to RTB you can go ahead and leave the area. (the mission will be counted as a success).

I'm not sure how the mission broke, but it seemed to involved the delayed start trigger for the helos. I changed them to a late activation, which makes them do the mission, but sometimes they won't take off again. Not sure how to fix that yet, but I'll work on it as I have time.

I don't know if installing this new campaign will stop your progress or revert you to mission 1. If so, and you don't want to go through the first two again, I'd recommend just playing the rest as single missions.

Cheers,

SEDLO

Thanks for the reply, Im really looking forward to playing the rest!

If they set off at a certain time, I'll try playing again and make sure I loiter until then.

Played it 3 times, not sure if I did it too quick? ;)

flying your campaign at the moment, really like it, hoping u do more of this in the future (for the AV8)

:thumbup:

Edited by FoxDelta

Thanks!

I've got some ideas, but currently I'm knocking together a Hornet campaign.

In the meantime, you can check out a couple missions I created for the Harrier.

RED FLAG: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3215738/

EASTERN FRIENDSHIP MISSION 1: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3300426/

flying your campaign at the moment, really like it, hoping u do more

of this in the future (for the AV8)

:thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello,

I unzipped this campaign into "C:\Users\*yourname*\Saved

Games\DCS\Missions\Campaigns\en" as advised but it does not show up in game, whether i check in campaigns or in missions/campaign.

I also tried to install it in the root folder like the other free campaign available but it does not show up either, whereas the other one works.

Can someone please let me know if this campaign still works as of May 2019 and where they installed this or is there something wrong in my install?

I dont have DCS beta but normal DCS 2.5.4 i believe, could that be the issue?

Thank you very much for your help, I would love to play it.

Edited by Fynek

I just downloaded it again and it seems to be working.... Are you running Open Beta or Stable? If stable, the directory would have to be changed.

When you're in the campaign menu in DCS, are you looking under the My Campaigns tab?

Thank you very much for your quick reply , i really appreciate it!

I have the steam version of the game, 2.5.4.30386 so i think it is the stable one.

Maybe this could the issue? I post screenshots below to show where i install and what i see in game in the "Campaigns" then My campaigns or if i go to "Missions" then check in campaigns/en/.

Many thanks for your help again

2552zau.jpg

11t7xqg.jpg

2wexduo.jpg

Edited by Fynek