Old 11-07-2018, 02:50 AM   #11
rweaves6

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelina1 View Post
99% of the time, me too...
Unfortunately me too. It’s a must.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AureliusAugustus View Post
I have a fair amount of online combat experience with other sims and so far, in DCSW, it is very tough for me in VR to even see the enemy, much less identify them. I am in no way casting shame on DCSW, I love the product and will continue to buy modules in the future, but in the department of spotting, DCSW needs some more work. For me, if I am above the enemy and looking down on them and the terrain, I rarely see them. One suggestion would be to have a darkening pixelation from say 10 km or so out that slowly decreases until you get within 1000m or some such. It is very easy for me to see the "dot" that is another fighter even 7 to 10 km out in other sims but I never see it in DCS. (It is a tiny, tiny bit better in 4K with the Track IR, but still not a strong feature of DCSW) And since this is a combat sim, and dogfighting is a main event, ... it needs attention IMHO.
100% agree, well said.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:30 PM   #12
uri_ba

is it just me, or something has changed in the last OB? it seems that I can spot better in VR.

My pit building blog
uri_ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:46 PM   #13
FragBum

Quote:
Originally Posted by uri_ba View Post
is it just me, or something has changed in the last OB? it seems that I can spot better in VR.
Okay I made a similar observation but for me it was the Tuesday patch of the previous version, it gets a little more complicated as I updated to that version then rolled back because of VR issues, long story short updated to previous version again and even now the current version DCS 2.5.3.23788OB and a quick check of system stats and it all seems about the same CPU GPU and memory usage but RIft VR seems better and my system settings have not changed.

Yet I do not see any mention of changes so whilst DCS seems to be running better it just feels and looks better.

As for spotting aircraft I have no problems with a few Kilometres but that is about it for me in VR.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors.
FragBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:01 PM   #14
Spc Johnson

I did a test run for spotting in VR.
80km starting distance - 1000m off the ground - noon time of day - no clouds - 1.2 PD all the way up to 1.8 PD - medium and high view distance - against typical fighter you might go against

With the Mig29S using the TWS to give me a basic idea where the target was, I was unable to spot the target until I got within 15-10km regardless of settings except higher Pixel Density settings would make it worse. If the target is above the horizion 15km is the absolute maximum spotting distance I can do even while knowing of the target location. If the target is below the horizion or in the grass I gotta get within 5km all the way down to 1km.

Missiles on the otherhand are completly impossible for me to spot now.

I love DCS and have every module but now with the inability to even spot an aircraft until extremely close, Im debating on moving on to somehting else because I'll never go back to a flat screen.
Spc Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:26 PM   #15
SharpeXB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spc Johnson View Post
I was unable to spot the target until I got within 15-10km regardless of settings except higher Pixel Density settings would make it worse. If the target is above the horizion 15km is the absolute maximum spotting distance I can do even while knowing of the target location.

Those seem like realistic distances. 10mi/ 15km is very far away to spot a fighter and missiles would be impossible to see unless they were in the boost stage or very large SAMs
Seems like you have unrealistic expectations in this regard.
Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K 4.7GHz | Corsair Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC 11GB | 240gb Intel 520 Series MLC SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | Samsung U28D590D UHD 28” Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
SharpeXB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:31 PM   #16
Spc Johnson

Very possible assumtion with that, but if we're going to go online, we have a pretty big disadvantage to the TrackIR users and their +30 power view magnification.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:34 PM   #17
Spc Johnson

Next year I'm planning on getting the Pimax 8k, so it would be interesting to se if that helps the situation.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:44 PM   #18
Spc Johnson

I keep adding to this but humor me.
I tried the same situation again but with flat screen and if you have and idea of the target location the target can be seen as far as 40km out.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:20 PM   #19
SharpeXB

Quote:
Very possible assumtion with that, but if we're going to go online, we have a pretty big disadvantage to the TrackIR users and their +30 power view magnification.
Disadvantage is something you just have to deal with in VR. VR isn’t really up to handling flight sims like this with its poor resolution. And monitor users can’t see objects that far away either. The max range I could possibly see a fighter at is about 10 mi but only if I know exactly where to look. And I can’t see missiles in flight but just briefly if they pass by close. In 4K I can identify much better but again that’s the price you pay in using VR
Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K 4.7GHz | Corsair Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC 11GB | 240gb Intel 520 Series MLC SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | Samsung U28D590D UHD 28” Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
SharpeXB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:29 PM   #20
rweaves6

Quote:
I did a test run for spotting in VR.
80km starting distance - 1000m off the ground - noon time of day - no clouds - 1.2 PD all the way up to 1.8 PD - medium and high view distance - against typical fighter you might go against

With the Mig29S using the TWS to give me a basic idea where the target was, I was unable to spot the target until I got within 15-10km regardless of settings except higher Pixel Density settings would make it worse. If the target is above the horizion 15km is the absolute maximum spotting distance I can do even while knowing of the target location. If the target is below the horizion or in the grass I gotta get within 5km all the way down to 1km.

I love DCS and have every module but now with the inability to even spot an aircraft until extremely close, Im debating on moving on to somehting else because I'll never go back to a flat screen.
Would you mind sharing your grafx settings?